PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Crossfader

RJB
04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I'm working on a project that I need a crossfader for with a "scratch" style curve. I'm hoping to buy one as a spare part but I don't have much experience with scratch mixers, the ones I've found so far have been quite expensive. I was thinking around £20 (there are plenty of regular curve crossfaders at this price) any ideas?

djpenguin
04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Most crossfaders aren't designed to have a scratch-style steep curve out of the box. They accomplish the steep curve with additional electronics inside the mixer. Audio Innovate's Innofader is configurable to allow any curve you want, but it's very expensive. Your best bet may be to seek out something older that's inexpensive, like the Vestax CF-S, which doesn't have a scratch curve, but does have a very short throw/travel distance. Vestax UK just recently opened an online parts shop, you can find it there. I guess the other option is to figure out the curve-adjustment electronics and incorporate curve adjustment into your project.

BOWNSIR
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Check out the focus fader by stanton. Was used in their sk models a while back. The fader doesn't actually have any type of curve, but rather a on/off type of "curve" if you want to even call it that. The circuit uses phototransistors which is basically the equivalent of a light sensor. I remember using it and it was decent for sharp cuts, but it's limited to that setting only. It might be able to be modified for some type of curve though.

RJB
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Most crossfaders aren't designed to have a scratch-style steep curve out of the box. They accomplish the steep curve with additional electronics inside the mixer. Audio Innovate's Innofader is configurable to allow any curve you want, but it's very expensive. Your best bet may be to seek out something older that's inexpensive, like the Vestax CF-S, which doesn't have a scratch curve, but does have a very short throw/travel distance. Vestax UK just recently opened an online parts shop, you can find it there. I guess the other option is to figure out the curve-adjustment electronics and incorporate curve adjustment into your project.

Ah! I was afraid that might be the case. Trying to keep the electronics simple as I've got a lot going on already in quite a small space, the Vestax CF-S seems like a good alternative, thanks for that!