PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god - Soundcloud's 'Dropometer' :facepalm:

thehadgi
03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
EDIT: in my state of nicotine withdrawal i'm currently thinking about bombing sc hq for this joke

https://blog.soundcloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DropmeterSkrillexCrop.png

Are you kidding me? Getting ready to tell soundcloud to screw off

http://blog.soundcloud.com/2013/04/01/dropometer/

You might notice things looking a bit different around SoundCloud today. We’re thrilled to be launching the latest iteration to our web platform. And we think you’re going to like it.

The drop in a track can be unpredictable and surprising. Some of you have even told us that you find it unsettling, not knowing when to expect that sense of overwhelming euphoria. Inspired by your feedback, we’ve invented the Dropometer.

Using a unique algorithm (patent pending), the Dropometer is designed to help you prepare yourself for the big moment, whether that means getting in the mental space where you can really break it down, or fixing yourself a fortifying snack.

While we first innovated the Dropometer around dubstep, we’ve identified broad utility for this new functionality across all genres. Look to the Dropometer to find out when to expect a key crescendo in a 17th-century symphony or the emotional climax in an episode of This American Life.

The Dropometer is web-only at the moment; we’ll be rolling it out to mobile in the coming weeks, so you can brace yourself for the drop on the go. Let us know what you think, and watch this space: we’ll be bringing you even more advanced features soon!

April 1, 2013

thehadgi
03-31-2013, 08:48 PM
godmotherfuckingdamnitpissofffuckingaprilfoolsgodd amnit

now i'm even madder at soundcloud

goooooood damnit it's not even fucking april 1st yet here..... fucking fuck

thehadgi
03-31-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm staying off the Internet tomorrow

contra
03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
lolzz

mr_ragz
03-31-2013, 09:16 PM
what if the music doesn't have drops?

:shrug:

Sigma
03-31-2013, 09:16 PM
:lol:

I bet Traktor will have this for real soon.

Blue Shoes
03-31-2013, 09:38 PM
This is just god awful. Maybe if the artist had to set the time themself.

I've got $10 on this being 1. An April Fools joke, or 2. Something they remove within the week.
If I'm wrong, I'll donate $10 to DJF
Of my 15 or so songs. It has the drop in the right spot for just 2 of them.

As you can see, I think this is the worst idea SC have come out with and the uproar about comments and notifications not working perfectly will once again come about. But If you could adjust it yourself it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to be able to add it to your RekordBox waveforms and therefor view it on the CDJ screen.

Smallz
03-31-2013, 09:52 PM
wow you got april fooled hard.

btw, it is April 1st in Germany.

M!TCH
03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
wow you got april fooled hard.

btw, it is April 1st in Germany.

Please point to proof that this is an April Fool joke? If it is, they're the idiots. How many paid users has this upset, if only temporarily?

If this is legitimate, smh. Unbelievable. Loudometer coming next?

Smallz
03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Please point to proof that this is an April Fool joke? If it is, they're the idiots. How many paid users has this upset, if only temporarily?

If this is legitimate, smh. Unbelievable. Loudometer coming next?

you're not serious are you? just look at how the actual blog post is written. "fixing yourself a fortifying snack?" "expect a key crescendo in a 17th-century symphony or the emotional climax in an episode of This American Life?" it's jokes dude.

Sigma
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Putting this at the bottom of the announcement was perhaps a clue: -

April 1, 2013
The other clue would be the utterly ridiculous nature of the announcement, but I guess DJing has sunk to such depths that this kind of thing fooled quite a few people. Fucking hell, lol.

Era 7
04-01-2013, 04:23 AM
i logged in this morning and saw it on a bunch of sneijder's tracks :lol:

DJ STU-C
04-01-2013, 04:44 AM
anyone read through the user comments to the blog, i didnt realise there was that many stupid people in the world. no wonder dance music is fucked if thats the level or retard that takes an interest in it

M!TCH
04-01-2013, 09:44 AM
you're not serious are you? just look at how the actual blog post is written. "fixing yourself a fortifying snack?" "expect a key crescendo in a 17th-century symphony or the emotional climax in an episode of This American Life?" it's jokes dude.

I expect too much stupidity out of this world. This would not surprise me if this was real. As I said, for a business, this is not one of those lulz haha Soundcloud you got me. If it was enough to generate this much discussion on the internet of people bad mouthing the company and others claiming it is just an April Fools joke, I'm not sure how that is positive PR?

Putting this at the bottom of the announcement was perhaps a clue: -

The other clue would be the utterly ridiculous nature of the announcement, but I guess DJing has sunk to such depths that this kind of thing fooled quite a few people. Fucking hell, lol.

At the time I checked the announcement it was the first of April in Germany. Aside from speculation, that proves nothing. If it ends up being an April Fool's joke, great. If not, it's stupid.

DJ STU-C
04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
that awkward moment when soundcloud have stuck a "here's the drop" label on your mix :facepalm:

JackStalk
04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
It's definitely an april fools joke, so many DJs getting so mad on facebook and raging hard haha. The drop software really isnt even that accurate.

Funkyfader
04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Not accurate at all basically,on one of my tracks it points to the end of the track lmao

JackStalk
04-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Not accurate at all basically,on one of my tracks it points to the end of the track lmao

Probably because the drop sucks and they want listeners to just fastforward until its over :P

thehadgi
04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Probably because the drop sucks and they want listeners to just fastforward until its over :P

:lol:

Jokes on you soundcloud, I ain't got no drops in my tracks. Only 'flourishes into the chorus' :school:

DJ-Veaux
04-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Isn't Apple supposed to be the one with bad innovations?

alexreedDJ
04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Looks pretty useful to me, i only really listen to the drop in a track anyway so this makes it easier.

I could also do with an "intro-meter" because i often have trouble finding the intro because i find that bit quite significant in a track as well. :teef:

l0ckd0wn
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/l0ckd0wn420/soundcloud_be_trollin_zps38858647.png

Sigma
04-01-2013, 11:13 PM
that awkward moment when soundcloud have stuck a "here's the drop" label on your mix :facepalm:
Yeah, I had a "here's the drop" label on a mix that's 90 minutes long. But now it's April 2nd, it seems to have disappeared. What a surprise! :lol:

Interracial Tea
04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
lol at the people in this thread who thought this was real

Blue Shoes
04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3pk9ba.jpg
Glad that mess is over. Was a good prank though.

As I said though. If you could put a marker on your waveforms for viewing in RekordBox and on CDJs, it wouldn't be the worst idea ever.

SlvrDragon50
04-01-2013, 11:48 PM
It didn't correctly ID my drops :(

TheRealAlaska
04-02-2013, 12:29 AM
And best part is...I totally fell for it. Will be using Goggle Nose to sniff out pranks in the future.

DJ STU-C
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I had a "here's the drop" label on a mix that's 90 minutes long. But now it's April 2nd, it seems to have disappeared. What a surprise! :lol:

yeah saved our blushes lol. i think its funny but the internet community doesnt have a sense of humour, i keep forgetting that

l0ckd0wn
04-02-2013, 06:46 PM
i think its funny but the internet community doesnt have a sense of humour, i keep forgetting that

See, I think it's the opposite; it's those people who don't know enough about the internet that fell for it. Those who are deeply imbedded in 'net culture tend to have a great sense of humor, know whats real and whats not, and not get as bent out of shape when there is something they don't know about or disagree with.