PDA

View Full Version : Chair, ? Do you use one? If so, what kind?

den1213
03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
I know there is a unwritten rule in our business which states, 'a DJ should NEVER sit'. Nevertheless, rules are meant to be broken by circumstance.;) Do you use a chair of some sort to take a load off every once and a while. If so, what kind of chair do you use?

Let's talk about it.

Dix
03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
I make no bones about the fact that I sit. We do not use a stand up DJ booth. We use a 6' folding table dressed in table cloth with skirts & We take our pleather executive office chairs. I'm 53 years old, my knees & my back hurt so... I'm sitting... Period.

mr_ragz
03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I could see it for a long ass gig but us club kids spin for like 2-4 hours max. No sitting allowed!

DJPrince
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM
at gigs, I'm usually with another DJ, so we take turns.

but at home I'm sitting on a bar stool, but more times than not, I find myself standing unless I'm doing post processing like if I were in audacity and I'm just tweaking. But I'm only 36 so standing is no problem.

Windows 95
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
I make no bones about the fact that I sit. We do not use a stand up DJ booth. We use a 6' folding table dressed in table cloth with skirts & We take our pleather executive office chairs. I'm 53 years old, my knees & my back hurt so... I'm sitting... Period.I'm 50, diabetic & have arthritis. The bar I DJ full time at, does not have a chair or bar stool in the DJ booth.

If an 80 year old Walmart greeter wearing an oxygen mask can stand for an 8 hour shift, it's not unreasonable to expect a mobile DJ (Who I would expect is healthy enough to lug around audio & lighting equipment to & from the gig.) to stand for 5 or 6 hours. Sitting down on a job that doesn't require sitting, isn't very professional looking. Just like not wearing a tie in an office isn't very professional looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqlHxGhevug

alexreedDJ
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
I just can't sit down when i DJ. I tried once last week at home and it didn't feel right, i much prefer standing up and being able to look down. I can't stand still anyway so being in a chair would drive me crazy

I also don't think it looks right. If you're DJing then you're trying to get people to dance right? So, how can you expect them to dance if you're not even standing up.

den1213
04-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree with most of what everyone is presenting, 'no stand rule', but to me, (I'm a heathy 80's era kid:-)) there is always a moment when for what ever reason you need to take a seat, just to relieve the tension, and excitement of the night. I would NEVER suggest a DJ sit through the entire night, unless there was VALID reason to sit, i.e.; injury, etc. With that said, are there any suggestion on a type or style of seat that would suffice a 'sit-for-the-moment DJ'?

l0ckd0wn
04-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I use the Freedom Headrest by Humanscale (http://shop.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=FreedomTaskChairWithHeadr est) as my main PC/Studio/DJing seat...

It's like a $1200 chair; it was given to me second hand and I may never get another chair again.

Baller95
04-02-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm a rule breaker! But I have no choice being wheelchair bound :lol:

Panotaker
04-03-2013, 01:38 AM
At clubs I use no chair. At home I use a bar stool or I stand.

fatcatdj
04-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Sometimes when I do weddings, I grab a chair and sit down, pretend I'm drinking something.
But sitting down all through the gig, no.

My buddy attended a wedding and told me the dj was 350lbs or something like that sitting and just
moving the cross fader over after each song. That's bad. Also the cross fader thing.

alexreedDJ
04-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Could we maybe turn this thread into a poll?

I think it would be interesting to see because i just assumed everyone stood up.

DJAkash
04-03-2013, 04:52 AM
The venue or client provides me them, bringing your own"aint nobody got time for that"

wilson
04-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't sit. In my opinion, it makes the DJ look very lazy, and I would think it's hard to keep tempo and mix sitting down anyways. BUT, there was one time I seen a DJ sitting that I didn't think looked as bad as the rest - he was sitting in this tall director's looking chair. For the older crowd, or if you have some reason you just can not stand the whole time, I think that may be a good option.

I would also look into some type of anti-fatigue mat or something first though. I know that often they can really help people who have back, knee, leg problems...

Defiance
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I laughed when a bar has a table setup and a chair, the first time it happened I thought the waitress was joking. I felt dumb because I had never witnessed a DJ sitting before, but it was normal there for the DJ to sit.

DJWhiteChoco
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
When i see a DJ Sitting it drives me nuts.... at a bar or a club. Sitting down takes all the energy you could give to your partrons and throws it out the window? How are they supposed to dance when you can;t even give them the time to stand?
During weddings I will sometimes grab a chair from the room and take a few seconds to rest my legs before i get back up and continue to play.
Sitting = kills the party

SlvrDragon50
04-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I actually find it more difficult to DJ while sitting. Can't dance while I'm DJing if I'm sitting down!

KLH
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I stand while DJing and sit if not. For example, I do a lot of school events where dancing happens after then main event. For the main event, I'll sit and watch mic levels. For dancing, I'll stand and mix.

I'm too busy head bopping and getting into the music to sit down while mixing. Let others do what they want.

-KLH

den1213
04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Hey KLH, what kind of seat do you recommend, I've been looking at the Odyssey DJ seat, but it looks a bit flimsy for my 6ft frame, and I've also been looking at a regular swivel bar stool with a back ,(the ones you see in bars and some clubs)?

KLH
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Well, this is where I sit usually...

http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120307_C2548_PHOTO_EN_10912.jpg

In all seriousness, I can't recommend a chair because I just use what's at the event (school or corp events have seating).

Perhaps others can recommend a useful chair?

-KLH

Sween
04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
I'll sit for a few minutes when I'm eating. Here's my chair:

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/stanleychestx450.jpg

I'm efficient... Why bring a chair when I already have something to sit on? When I'm done I just roll it right back under the table.

I do not sit any other time than at dinner...

den1213
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
LOL, nice KLH.....Being in and around this business for almost 20 years, and watching and meeting over 200 DJ's I'm pretty sure MOST or maybe all of them I've witnessed having a seat of some sort one time or another.(maybe I should of taken notes then,:) Even in the my heyday, (pulling up the tie), most of the lounges and bars that I've DJ'd, had a chair. Now that I'm totally MOBILE, I just kinda want my own personalized chair that I can bring to the gig without using what's available. I'm kinda shocked that most don't see the need of some type of seat. But then again, that was the good ole days before the cowboy masculinity of DJing started:uhoh:

KLH
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
LOL, nice KLH.....Being in and around this business for almost 20 years, and watching and meeting over 200 DJ's I'm pretty sure MOST or maybe all of them I've witnessed having a seat of some sort one time or another.
As I've only been actively gigging since 2008, I should ask you what is a great mobile chair! Otherwise, I'd side with Sween and just use a transport box. I'm just practical and want to limit what I have to lug around.

-KLH

wapples
04-27-2013, 06:26 AM
We had a wedding recently we were there to play a six hour set (my wife DJ'd I was just the "ROADIE/GROUPIE" LOL Anyway I agree sitting down on the job seems unprofessional depending on the job I usually just sat in the background on the SUB box out harms way always quick to jump up and mix if she needed a toilet break. BUT she was standing and I would sit. ALL WAS OK the Marquee was Full of wedding guests and then after the formal proceedings they went outside where there was a big bonfire. They live on a huge 100acre property so they are all around the fire with the speakers turned and facing out to them. It got cold when they left the marquee and we did not bring anything since it was a stinking hot day. As it was nearly time to wind up the bride raids her wishing well on the gift table gives us a wad if cash and said could you play for another 4 hours. We reluctantly said yes and it was BITTERLY COLD since we could not pick the booth up and plonk it near the fire. Either way grabbed a chair before they packed them up and just kept playing sitting down after a track was going and the next one was cued. If we are doing a 4-6 hour set we stand but if you have to sit you can deny that anymore than if you have to go to the toilet you go. I was actually thinking a swing out fold down stool attached to our DJ table would be cool and probably exists but the amount it would be used seems excessive weight.

LONG STORY SHORT. Sub cabs make a great spot to rest the bones although sometimes they can be a little shaken. Wedding gigs are usually very accommodating to your requests especially ones that are not in the city. Country people really welcome you in and bend over backwards for you.

Dix
04-27-2013, 09:32 AM
After this thread got started, my wife & I talked about this & we got to thinking about how many clients actually discuss this with us while going over the contract. Without being excessive, I am betting that at least 60% of our client ask us one question... "do we need to provide you a table & chairs or do you bring your own?"

Now, in all honesty, if clients (the general public) thought it was such a bad idea or so unprofessional for a DJ to sit, especially with a 30" high folding table, not a podium type DJ booth/standup kinda thing, I don't think it would ever cross their minds to ask. I will go farther to say that in the 11 years I have been a mobile DJ, we have never, even once had anyone comment about us sitting. Again, keep in mind its a 30" folding table. Made to sit at. A DJ would be bent over all night if attempting to stand.
As well, I sat when I DJ'd in radio for 4 years, I sat when I DJ'd in the club for 6 years... personally, I don't see that its a problem. I do respect other people's opinions when they do feel that its unprofessional. Its something that is in our contract & is discussed with every client & no one has ever not signed a contract or disputed the fact that we sit when DJing, before signing a contract. I just don't think its the cardinal sin that some of you guys are making it out to be. We have never had a client to post a bad review concerning us sitting. I really can not ever remember it being a problem with a client or a guest at an event.
When Kaye & I got married, our DJ sat & it never crossed our minds until we discussed it from this thread.

Contract:
"Standard equipment for this event includes equipment to produce music (computer, mp3 files, amp, mixer, speakers) personal chairs, table, table cloths, surge protectors, electrical extension cords and wireless microphone as well as other miscellaneous items, some spare parts and equipment."

jamesmington
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I usually get asked if I need a chair. If it's not the client, it's the venue staff setting up. It's a nice gesture, and I take advantage of it depending on the gig duration.

Mobile DJ NOLA
06-12-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't sit while I'm DJing but I do bring along one of these little stools from Walmart to sit on if there is a small break, or most of the time I like to just rest one knee on it while standing.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/46/81/34/0004468134542_500X500.jpg

DJWhiteChoco
06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't sit while I'm DJing but I do bring along one of these little stools from Walmart to sit on if there is a small break, or most of the time I like to just rest one knee on it while standing.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/46/81/34/0004468134542_500X500.jpg

my thoughts exactly... if there is a break i will sit. I do though like to rest a knee on a chair now n then but if im Mixing or even DJIng just gotta be standing up. Its shows that you are engaged with the crowd and party. Seeing a DJ sitting at a party is just a nono.
Also if you are using a normal table and bending your back to reach your controls you are doing it all wrong!! Get something to raise your Dj rig up to your stomach level or higher. Bending down to DJ is just ugly IMO.

WillieB69
09-20-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm a rule breaker! But I have no choice being wheelchair bound :lol:

I'm pretty sure that gets you a pass then. I think anyone who just can't stand the whole night due to injury or disability should forget all about whatever "rules" there may be about standing or sitting. Otherwise, I think it probably depends on the gig. If you're playing cocktail music all night and it's just a mellow gathering, there's no reason not to have a seat. If it's a mad party and you're trying to crank up the crowd then you should be standing and showing them you're excited too.