PDA

View Full Version : A single RCF-705AS 15" Subwoofer VS two Yorkville 720P 15" for 300 outoors?

Evolved
02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/professional-speaker-systems/sub-series/sub-705-as

This is the new RCF sub line with digital 700 watt amp that goes for about $1300 where as the Yorkville's go for about $920 each.

For an outdoor gig. I thought I could save money/space/weight and perhaps still have decent coverage (for an outdoor gig) with the RCF 705 15".

This is not rap or hip hop music. Mainly dance, progressive house and deep house. I like punchy, responsive bass with good presents. Wasn't sure i'd get that going with a single 18" sub or not.

They'd be used with 2 RCF-312A tops.

Al Poulin
02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/professional-speaker-systems/sub-series/sub-705-as

This is the new RCF sub line with digital 700 watt amp that goes for about $1300 where as the Yorkville's go for about $920 each.

For an outdoor gig. I thought I could save money/space/weight and perhaps still have decent coverage (for an outdoor gig) with the RCF 705 15".

This is not rap or hip hop music. Mainly dance, progressive house and deep house. I like punchy, responsive bass with good presents. Wasn't sure i'd get that going with a single 18" sub or not.

They'd be used with 2 RCF-312A tops.

Performance will be pretty similar if you compare the two subs in question. They both use a 15" woofer with similar applied power. The RCF is more expensive because it's RCF AND necause you have a built-in crossover that can send a hi-passed signal to your tops. Output wise, a pair of 720Ps will absolutely outperform a single RCF.

Al

Evolved
02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Performance will be pretty similar if you compare the two subs in question. They both use a 15" woofer with similar applied power. The RCF is more expensive because it's RCF AND necause you have a built-in crossover that can send a hi-passed signal to your tops. Output wise, a pair of 720Ps will absolutely outperform a single RCF.

Al

Gotcha, I do like the crossover option and the fact that I wouldn't be mismatching brands. Do you think the RCF 705AS would still handle 300 people (at the most) outdoors? (Although about 50 at a time would be eating and drinking). Or would it be safer to go with a pair of the 15" Yorkville 720P? Just I just don't want to show up and not have enough sound to be a serious contender. The last time I did a gig out here I had just the two tops. I want to add a whole new experience this time.

Al Poulin
02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Gotcha, I do like the crossover option and the fact that I wouldn't be mismatching brands. Do you think the RCF 705AS would still handle 300 people (at the most) outdoors? (Although about 50 at a time would be eating and drinking). Or would it be safer to go with a pair of the 15" Yorkville 720P? Just I just don't want to show up and not have enough sound to be a serious contender. The last time I did a gig out here I had just the two tops. I want to add a whole new experience this time.

Again, I would have to stress the importance of boundary loading in such a situation to maximize possible output from the sub(s) being used. I would have no problem with 300 people indoors with a pair of 720Ps at typical wedding sound levels, but outdoors could be trickier - as is usually the case due to being in the open air and having much fewer reflective surfaces. A pair of 720ps (or a single 801P if you can move it) would be my choice... A pair of the RCFs might be optimal in certain ways BUT so much $$$.

Al

Evolved
02-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I could face the single sub against a brick wall building I'd be standing in front of at the gig. The tops would be on each side of me X feet away and their backs facing the brick wall about 3 feet away. Yes the cost is a factor so if I could make one RCF 705 work halfway decent - I'd grab it up. Also however I could rent it out to trusted people that pay in bands here at times to cover costs.

Al Poulin
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I could face the single sub against a brick wall building I'd be standing in front of at the gig. The tops would be on each side of me X feet away and their backs facing the brick wall about 3 feet away. Yes the cost is a factor so if I could make one RCF 705 work halfway decent - I'd grab it up. Also however I could rent it out to trusted people that pay in bands here at times to cover costs.

Yeah, that could certainly work. Having the sub shoot into the wall (about a foot or two away). Maybe start with a single sub and later on, if/when funds become available get another one if you feel you need it - depending on the type of jobs you typically do.

Al

ampnation
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Evolved, check out your local sound co. businesses for possible rentals. Try before you buy. You can rent two and see what they sound like. It is very possible you won't find one or even either of those at a sound co. but worth a try. As Al points out, the RCF has the filter you need.

Otherwise, you'll probably want a crossover. Not a big deal but figure in the cost of a rack case for it if you don't have room in a current rack. The savings drops when you add the crossover and rack.

audiopyle
02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
If you want a better deal on either of those subs email me at mike@audiopyle.com