PDA

View Full Version : i am wanting to be a DJ

ash2k12
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
hi i am a 17 yr old and i am wanting to be a professional DJ but dont know where to start i am waiting to start a professional DJ course in the next couple of weeks

I was wondering if anybody could help me to find out about money for getting equipment and how to get gigs and all that

thanks
ash2k12
:)

fueledbymusic
02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Knowing a friend who DJs would really help. But likely you dont have a friend whos a DJ. Maybe this will help :
This is a thread in this catagory http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?521-Lets-rebuild-The-Guide-to-Getting-Out-There

This is a sticky thread atop of this catagory http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?646-Sigma-s-n00bs-guide-to-DJing-right

ash2k12
02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
thanks fueledbymusic i am sort of like a wanting to be a Dj for special occasions and if you are a DJ how did you get your equipment

fueledbymusic
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
thanks fueledbymusic i am sort of like a wanting to be a Dj for special occasions and if you are a DJ how did you get your equipment If your talking about equipment. How I got mines. Well for my particular equipment. Much of it, I ordered on ebay. But most of of my equipment is available in a local store. In USA, its typicallly Guitar Center. A musical instruments store! Where they sell guitars and guitar amps for example. And no, you dont need to be a DJ to get DJ equipment. But for me, evidently it was easier and cheaper for me to order online. BUT HOWEVER: I did lots of research on what equipment to buy. IE what brands. Be sure to ask questions on this DJforums site. Youll get some good info here! Thats what I done when buying my equipment. But the thing is, buying everything you need for being a DJ can get quite expensive EVEN if doing some budget priced stuff. For instance my CDI300 system (2 CD players and a mixer w/ case) that was $500 US dollars. But gotta remember you need everything else. Amps, speakers, stands, lights. Cost can add up. But for me, I just bought one thing at a time while I had the money. BUT if you had the money, I think the easiest way to start is buy a whole set up from someone. Typically they sell their whole set up from $1000 to $5000 US dollars. BUT gotta be sure that the equipment (speakers, amps, CD or turntables) are a reputable brand. Thats hard for a beginner. Thats where this DJforums site come in!

Most of my equipment, I ordered on ebay except for my subwoofers. I built them myself. Also built my cd player stand myself too

ash2k12
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
cool cheers lots of info for me to research thanks again

fueledbymusic
02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
cool cheers lots of info for me to research thanks againGlad that I was of help!

Lost Connection
02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
And seeing that you're from the UK check these sites out:

Thomann (http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html)
Juno (http://www.juno.co.uk/)
Htfr (http://www.htfr.com/)

Of course there's a lot more out there, but I've personally used these ones many times and have performed well every time. Thomann is probably the best for equipment, since they give you a three year guarantee and the postages aren't bad either.

But don't forget that google and djf are your friends on this matter :tup:

ash2k12
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
thanks if you have anymore jst let me knw

peterwo2e
02-27-2012, 03:51 AM
i believe lots of dj's here also have regular jobs. this is how you start. get pay and buy. that's how you will get your money.

Austin GoGreen
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Kid, what type of pro DJ do you want to be? Do you want to play in clubs? Do you want to go mobile and do weddings?

I'm assuming at 17 you're most interested in getting into the clubs. Maybe some underground stuff.

Figure out the genre's you want to spin.

First, buy Technics 1200's and a Rane Mixer with Serato. Do your research, you'll figure which mixer setup to buy through their support. The 57 is nice. Pioneer 800 and a Serato box is also very nice.

Learn either setup. Once you learn turntables and either mixer there isn't a club in the world that you can't play in.

CDJ's are cool. NS7 is cool. Save your money and buy the best. Learn turntables first and then you'll be able to use any system.

danthedj
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Kid, what type of pro DJ do you want to be? Do you want to play in clubs? Do you want to go mobile and do weddings?

I'm assuming at 17 you're most interested in getting into the clubs. Maybe some underground stuff.

First, buy Technics 1200's and a Rane Mixer with Serato. Do your research, you'll figure which mixer setup to buy through their support. The 57 is nice. Pioneer 800 and a Serato box is also very nice.

Learn either setup. Once you learn turntables and either mixer there isn't a club in the world that you can't play in.

CDJ's are cool. NS7 is cool. Save your money and buy the best. Learn turntables first and then you'll be able to use any system.

:freak:

Sorry, but telling a newbie thats never touched equipment before in his life to go purchase $2000 worth of gear just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe youre rich, most people arent.

Start with a controller or used stuff to get your foot in the door. No real dj usually has the same setup they learned on. You learn and figure out what you need and upgrade to what you find out your needs are. If you want to be a wedding/party dj, a rane mixer and turntables isnt the smartest investment. Differently, a rane mixer also isnt the best for a club dj, a pioneer is. Also, a mixer is a mixer. Some have more features, but its not really hard to go from a $200 vestax mixer to a pioneer or Allen & Heath mixer in the club.

Just my $.02

peterwo2e
02-28-2012, 10:48 PM

if you read his post again he also wants to know where to get the money. and you telling this kid to buy all that equipment:lol:

Austin GoGreen
02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
:freak:

Sorry, but telling a newbie thats never touched equipment before in his life to go purchase $2000 worth of gear just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe youre rich, most people arent.

Start with a controller or used stuff to get your foot in the door. No real dj usually has the same setup they learned on. You learn and figure out what you need and upgrade to what you find out your needs are. If you want to be a wedding/party dj, a rane mixer and turntables isnt the smartest investment. Differently, a rane mixer also isnt the best for a club dj, a pioneer is. Also, a mixer is a mixer. Some have more features, but its not really hard to go from a $200 vestax mixer to a pioneer or Allen & Heath mixer in the club.

Just my $.02

if you read his post again he also wants to know where to get the money. and you telling this kid to buy all that equipment:lol:

Valid points... That's why I asked what it is that he's looking to do. If he wants to do mobile gigs or small bars, people could give two shits about the decks or proper mixing, they just want to hear good songs. Buy a $50 controller and download a crack for VDJ. Viola, call yourself a DJ.

Sure, I started out with dual cd players, then a controller, then cheap cd controller decks, and then eventually 1200's and also an NS7.....

A lot of wasted money don't you think??

I'm NOT rich by any means. I hustled my ass off to get the equipment that I own. If he's passionate about DJing he will find a way to make 2k, that's nothing...

My honest advice is to SAVE MONEY AND BUY THE BEST. People told me that all the time when I was just getting started but I wasn't hearing it. I wasted a lot of money.

If he's aspiring to be a club DJ then there is NO better way to start with proper club equipment.

de.j.l
02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
do like I did and purchase some numark tt1520's and a numark mixer(for 100$) and 6 mixable records, use that for a year.. learn to now suck with it and by that point you will have a good idea of what you want to move onto next.