PDA

View Full Version : Would it be pointless to use a ADJ Royal Sky laser without fog?

Evolved
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Was interested in picking up one of these units for a mobile gig. I currently have no lighting of any kind to go with my setup as of now.
I was wondering if you absolutely need fog to get a nice areal effect from this unit.

Mystic
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
It's pretty much useless without fog, yes.

Evolved
02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
It's pretty much useless without fog, yes.

That's a bummer. I was looking for one nice blue laser to use, just didn't want it to be cheesy and cheap. This gig will be outdoors. So would fog still be ok? I don't know. I'd like to get that sky effect somehow if possible. It (the Royal Sky blue) looks like such a nice laser and perhaps a good investment for a nice show during music as well.

instinct
02-24-2012, 01:48 PM
That's a bummer. I was looking for one nice blue laser to use, just didn't want it to be cheesy and cheap. This gig will be outdoors. So would fog still be ok? I don't know. I'd like to get that sky effect somehow if possible. It (the Royal Sky blue) looks like such a nice laser and perhaps a good investment for a nice show during music as well.

Honestly, it will probably be pretty useless. You need something in the air to see the beams, but the fog will probably go away quickly in the wind. Most laser shows that are outdoor use very high powered lasers.

DJ M&M
02-24-2012, 03:55 PM
put the extra money in and get a chauvet GBC instead of that ADJ thing

DJ M&M
02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
NVM just read u have no lighting at all please disregard

instinct
02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
The GBC trips me out. It's got a beautiful 473nm blue diode and a 532nm green diode, but no red. I can't imagine why they didn't add red into the mix. It's already well over the 5mw mark already. An extra red diode with another dichro wouldn't have added that much cost to the projector, and could have been 7 color instead of 3.

Sorry off topic.

Anyways, if you don't have ANY other lighting, don't get a laser, especially if doing it outside. Probably the worst item to buy. Get some type of LED color bar.

Evolved
02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
The GBC trips me out. It's got a beautiful 473nm blue diode and a 532nm green diode, but no red. I can't imagine why they didn't add red into the mix. It's already well over the 5mw mark already. An extra red diode with another dichro wouldn't have added that much cost to the projector, and could have been 7 color instead of 3.

Sorry off topic.

Anyways, if you don't have ANY other lighting, don't get a laser, especially if doing it outside. Probably the worst item to buy. Get some type of LED color bar.

So let me get some more information then . What would I need just say at min to add something like this? And, I don't fully understand why just using the one laser would not be a good idea. Do I just need a truss with a bar light setup?

I would definitely be more interested in getting a better quality laser than ADJ if that is the case. Just never setup a lighting system before.

Evolved
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Also check this out, is this the laser by itself or is it fog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgBQi27WfH4

Mystic
02-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Also check this out, is this the laser by itself or is it fog?
That's with fog. Lasers can't do a liquid sky effect without it.

Mystic
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
So let me get some more information then . What would I need just say at min to add something like this? And, I don't fully understand why just using the one laser would not be a good idea. Do I just need a truss with a bar light setup?

I would definitely be more interested in getting a better quality laser than ADJ if that is the case. Just never setup a lighting system before.
Few things:

Lasers are not toys. They are dangerous in the hands of people who don't know how to properly use them or know about them and can cause irreversible harm.
They are an effect and should be used to compliment other lighting, not be the main source of lighting for an event.
Anything over 4.9mW without either being fat beam or split beam in America is illegal to use without variance license.
Imported lasers from China are illegal and a federal offense to import and use for production, not to mention dangerous.
You never use a laser outdoors nor do you crowd scan in America.

DJ M&M
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Correction, you never use a laser outdoors, unless your a trained professional with the proper licenses to preform shows outdoors :P ;) with lasers

Mystic
02-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Correction, you never use a laser outdoors, unless your a trained professional with the proper licenses to preform shows outdoors :P ;) with lasers
You also need permission from the FAA if I remember correctly. If a single beam hits one of their planes, you'll have the FBI at your door.
In this situation it's just easier to say you never use it outdoors because no one here would be able to get the permits for an outdoor performance. lol

Synaxis
02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Few things:

Lasers are not toys. They are dangerous in the hands of people who don't know how to properly use them or know about them and can cause irreversible harm.
They are an effect and should be used to compliment other lighting, not be the main source of lighting for an event.
Anything over 4.9mW without either being fat beam or split beam in America is illegal to use without variance license.
Imported lasers from China are illegal and a federal offense to import and use for production, not to mention dangerous.
You never use a laser outdoors nor do you crowd scan in America.

That's why I try to stay away from lasers as far as possible. And when I do add a laser to my lighting setup, the only place it's going to be pointing is the ceiling.

And this, is why you shouldn't use lasers outdoors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7Qq1mYQlI&feature=related

1) Because the pilots are in a freaking helicopter and can easily find out where you are...

2) It literally blinds the pilots when the beam enters the cockpit.

Capt. Kirk
02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
That's why I try to stay away from lasers as far as possible. And when I do add a laser to my lighting setup, the only place it's going to be pointing is the ceiling.

And this, is why you shouldn't use lasers outdoors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7Qq1mYQlI&feature=related

1) Because the pilots are in a freaking helicopter and can easily find out where you are...

2) It literally blinds the pilots when the beam enters the cockpit.

What a dumbshit purposely aiming that laser at the cockpit of that plane. I mean its bad enough when people aim them into the air and accidentally hit a plane or something, but if you purposely do it just to fuck around I have officially lost all respect for them.

Synaxis
02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
What a dumbshit purposely aiming that laser at the cockpit of that plane. I mean its bad enough when people aim them into the air and accidentally hit a plane or something, but if you purposely do it just to fuck around I have officially lost all respect for them.

What's even dumber is that people know it's illegal, yet think they can get away with it, "just because it's dark."

This is why there are theses types of accidents, because people are stupid and have no common sense.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

DJ SD
03-01-2012, 04:34 AM
If you're starting a lighting setup I highly suggest the Chauvet Vue VI. It's great for medium sized venues, has easy presets, its sound activated, DMX Controls and the whole nine yards. You don't necessarily need smoke for this either, although it makes it look better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dBfktp23Lg

I suggest you start with this and if you need a small laser that packs a punch for the price try the Micro Galaxian Lasers. You will need smoke for this one, but even without it its quite a powerful laser that will even fill medium venues with light. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltMx9fodbK8&feature=related

Like me on facebook or follow me on soundcloud if you think this helped.
www.facebook.com/DJSD1
www.soundcloud.com/dj-sd-san-diego

windspeed36
03-01-2012, 05:17 AM
I remember when some guy thought it would be fun to shine a 1w hand held laser (yes I said 1 watt -1000mw) into the sky and try and hit the blades of a helicopter - dumb idiot didn't realize it was one of the choppers from the Victoria Police airwing - IR and thermal tracking...

Capt. Kirk
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I remember when some guy thought it would be fun to shine a 1w hand held laser (yes I said 1 watt -1000mw) into the sky and try and hit the blades of a helicopter - dumb idiot didn't realize it was one of the choppers from the Victoria Police airwing - IR and thermal tracking...

+rep. Best story of my day. :lol: