PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using "Skins" on Tech 12s?

P25CT
03-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Considering going with the wrap type skins for a set of decks. Not a funky design just a color change to black or white from silver. Ideally Id like to go with a white solid with Blue "Technics" and standard stock lettering..Add Blue LEDs as well.

Looking at Style Flip Skins for wrap style.
Looking at covers by DJParts.

I dont want to paint them but just cover them to keep them OEM.

Suggestions or better ideas or manufacturers?

Thanks much..

Samsung Galaxy Note II

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
stay away from the skins! no matter,what they promise about their product,they tend to f*ck up whatever they cover...(b)sacrilegious,to skin a Technic (enough said!)....Personally ,I own the face-plates covers in white.they're O.K....I recommend them,only if your TT sits on top of a table,not embedded in the table(they tend to slow the platter down) :tup: good hunting.

P25CT
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Which covers did you buy? Do they have felt or a protective film on underside to prevent scratching surface of 1200? Finally explain if you could a little more what you meant on the slowing the platter down? Do they rub the platter? If they are recessed into a console in a permanent install or in a road case as long as opening is cut or case allows for the extra exterior clearance on side of deck from shell it should be fine?

Thanks...

Samsung Galaxy Note II

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
03-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Which covers did you buy? Do they have felt or a protective film on underside to prevent scratching surface of 1200?I bought them years ago.so,I don't remember from where,and No,there is no protective film or felt.
Finally explain if you could a little more what you meant on the slowing the platter down? Do they rub the platter? If they are recessed into a console in a permanent install or in a road case as long as opening is cut or case allows for the extra exterior clearance on side of deck from shell it should be fine?

you answered you own question...I didn't allow for space in my permanent install.hence they tend to rub up against the platter.if you take space into consideration,they should work just fine.http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/discoangelDENNIS/IMG_0448_zps3298b264.jpg

DJ Pat Caz
03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
The original look is beautiful as it is. No need for skins

Finnish_Fox
03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Bad ass mixer Dennis.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Thank you,."once you go rotary there's no turning back".

Finnish_Fox
03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Saw DJ Harvey the other night, he was using an E&S DJR400

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
^nice!....I came very close to getting the E&S isolator(good product) to pair with my Urei(in storage,not in picture).

P25CT
03-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys. Nice console! Very clean.

Appreciate the info on skins and covers. Ordered a pair of covers. I will give you the scoop and pictures when they arrive. Wanted a white surface on the deck but dont want to disturb the oem condition of the 12s. Hence covers or skins.

Going to be designing a console soon for the house. Seperate from the gear of my semi perm venue I will be working out of. Any pointers or good pics for suggestions?

Thanks again.

Samsung Galaxy Note II

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
PM me when ever you're ready.I can tell you all the thing you shouldn't do,in building a table(console).:lol: in the mean time.you should look at pictures of other set-up...the good ones and bad...it will help you deciding on what kind of set-up will work for you.:tup: good luck!

P25CT
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Okay so got the covers. Worst 100 $ I think I spent... the white isnt white its ivory off white. With a true white slipmat it looks awful.

So if you like me tried to cheap out of powdercoating or customizing your decks dont bother.

Im going to dissasemble the decks and send them out for powdercoating white.

Any suggestions of powdercoating resources on here? Found a members thread out of the country but that may be a bit far..

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
04-11-2013, 02:48 AM
ah man,sorry to hear that! sucks!......powercoating would be the way to go.

djransom
04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Where does 1 find stickers for 1200s such the Technics stickers or even ones you can personalize with?

P25CT
04-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Ebay has a dude with a sticker package has various Tech12 labels in vinyl. He however sent me mk3 stickers for an m3d and doesnt seem ti understand that an mk3 really doesnt exist by model number.. anyway for the price they arent bad. They ship from the UK.

Btw heres a pic of the platter cover difference. Its alot more noticable in high lighting environment.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/12/9uda2a2u.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note II

djdran
04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
where did you get the cover from?

have you checked out 12inchskinz.com?

im planning on getting a cover for my turntables, and i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhzv5d9lC8

Joe.G
05-02-2013, 09:09 PM
What beat is that in the You Tube Vid?

VjQue
05-17-2013, 01:38 AM
nothing wrong with skins. I would prefer them over the cover. The covers you have to drill 4 holes in the side of your decks so the dont move when you take your decks out and they can break the needles.

who ever said skin are bad don't know what there talking about or went thru the wrong designer. go to jarrod at 12"skins and tell him I referred you I have skins on all my mixer and even a magnet on my Rane 62 that he design for Namm 13. I have the cases on my sl dz 1200 and everytime I move them there everywhere. I powdercoated the and they look better.

djdran
05-18-2013, 08:02 PM
i received my skin from www.styleflip.com/ and the skin looks pretty decent!

here's a pic:

http://instagram.com/p/ZbrfsFE259/#

contra
05-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Ebay has a dude with a sticker package has various Tech12 labels in vinyl. He however sent me mk3 stickers for an m3d and doesnt seem ti understand that an mk3 really doesnt exist by model number.. anyway for the price they arent bad. They ship from the UK.

Btw heres a pic of the platter cover difference. Its alot more noticable in high lighting environment.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/12/9uda2a2u.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note II

I like it :shrug:

P25CT
05-19-2013, 05:53 PM
i received my skin from www.styleflip.com/ and the skin looks pretty decent!

here's a pic:

http://instagram.com/p/ZbrfsFE259/#

I like it.. hard to apply?

djdran
05-20-2013, 10:25 PM
I like it.. hard to apply?

nope not at all. took about 30 mins total.

jvine
05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I could never "skin" a 1200, even if it looked beat.

djdran
05-28-2013, 02:56 PM
I could never "skin" a 1200, even if it looked beat.

i use my skin mostly for protection...i use my 1200 for mobile gigs alot.. im happy to have a skin on it... the skin is easy to take off and is reletively cheap to replace... ive seen some beat up 1200, and i would hate to have my 1200 ending up with a bunch of scuff marks or end up looking beat... they no longer make 1200 anymore, so if mine ended up getting beat up, it would be wayy harder and costly to find a good condition replacement.

But keep in mind, if i kept these at home, i wouldn't need a skin on it either.

also if you've shopped at styleflip.com before, their skins are really good quality.

jvine
05-28-2013, 03:02 PM
I have one that never leaves my house and two that I use for gigs. The sides on the gig ones do get scuffed now and again. I understand what you are saying. I just couldn't it do it. It looks cheesy to me, seeing a dj with their entire set up skinned. I understand it from a marketing stand point, but it's just not for me. To each his own though.

Yeah, I've browsed styleflip before.

djdran
05-28-2013, 11:42 PM
yeah i wish i had more then just two 1200, they are such amazing turntables =)