PDA

View Full Version : Need to purchase a new 2 mic wireless setup on a budget.

WoLLy
03-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, I'm a wedding/mobile DJ that does this for a small side hobby/supplemental income. I probably do 5-6 gigs a year, and as such I don't really want to invest too heavily into equipment.

I need to have a 2 mic wireless setup for a couple of the gigs I've booked this summer. Range needs to be no more than 40-50 uninterrupted feet. I've got a spare 1U space in my rack that I'd prefer use but any other transmitter style would work as well.

Is there a consensus on the appropriate equipment to buy in this price range?

Thanks for the advice,
-dan

Unknown DJ
03-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Heard good things about this budget AKG system.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-wms-40-mini2-vocal-wireless-microphone-set

jayhwk
03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
What is cheap? I wouldn't trust any wireless cheaper than the Shure ULXS, but that's $600 a channel.

I'd skip the AKG above - it's a fixed frequency so if you run into venue where there's a wireless mic next door on the same frequency or a town with a TV station on that band, you're screwed.

WoLLy
03-23-2013, 05:35 PM
On a budget would ideally be ~$400 maximum.

That said, I'd like to pay more than $159. Something in the $300 to $400 range would be acceptable and huge bonus points if rack mountable.

WoLLy
03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Please, while reading this, remember that I just don't have the need for a $3000 dollar shure 2 channel system. Yes, it'd be nice but I'm just a small time player in this game and don't really want to invest 2 years worth of my income from it in a microphone setup that I wouldn't likely see much more value out of it than I would with a lower end system.

BillESC
03-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Audio Technica's ATW 2000 systems have a MAP of $ 349 but I sell them well below that price. Range is typically 300+ feet and they offer great sound. I have almost a dozen in my rental department with many of them ten to fifteen years in service without any issues.

sss18734
03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
These are exactly what you're looking for. I've personally used these at 60+ events with no issues. A company I used to work for had quite a few of these out every single weekend, and never had any problems with any of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-G-622H-Professional-Wireless-microphone/dp/B004443DZ2

WoLLy
03-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Audio Technica's ATW 2000 systems have a MAP of $ 349 but I sell them well below that price. Range is typically 300+ feet and they offer great sound. I have almost a dozen in my rental department with many of them ten to fifteen years in service without any issues.

I really like the physical appearance and the rack mountable-ness of the GTD Audio G-622H posted by SS18734. Can you sell me on the value of your system over the one he posted in my situation? If I could get 60 gigs out of this sytem, I'd be more than pleased, that's 10 years of service for me at the rate I work and the rack would make it convenient...

These are exactly what you're looking for. I've personally used these at 60+ events with no issues. A company I used to work for had quite a few of these out every single weekend, and never had any problems with any of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-G-622H-Professional-Wireless-microphone/dp/B004443DZ2

You're right, that's precisely what I'm looking for but I'm slightly skeptical at that price point of the quality of the system. What am I losing in quality over the system posted above?

Thanks for the input so far guys, It means a lot that you're all taking time to share your expertise.
-dan

Sween
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM

^^This...

Might be a little over your budget, but this is the minimum quality that I would trust.

sss18734
03-24-2013, 11:51 AM
You're right, that's precisely what I'm looking for but I'm slightly skeptical at that price point of the quality of the system. What am I losing in quality over the system posted above?

I was skeptical too but they are really rock solid units that have been running for years without issues. I bring one of these and a Shure ULX mic to weddings. The ULX is my backup.

Defiance
03-24-2013, 01:00 PM
I love my vocalpro UHF-18, absolutely a steal for under $100 bucks. One of my biggest pet peeves is any sort of feedback and my biggest worry when I bought it was loud monitors when I DJ and forgetting to turn them off. In the 2+ years I've used it (including formal events/weddings) I haven't had feedback more than twice.

It also doesn't have a round head on it so it doesn't roll off tables or anything like that and the last great thing is it uses AA batteries.

WoLLy
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
^^This...

Might be a little over your budget, but this is the minimum quality that I would trust.

It's not that, I've got the money to buy whatever I want, I could plunk down cash for a 4 channel shure right now if I wanted... the issue is, value for money. I don't see the point spending high dollar for equipment that'll only be used a couple times a year and very limited use during those gigs anyways (As I run a wired MIC for main communication). The wireless mics would be for groomsmen speeches, etc. Also, I do a few charity Karoake events for my church and I'd use them for that as well... so for what I need, a very low end system would likely be just fine as long as it doesn't have a history of failure.

I was skeptical too but they are really rock solid units that have been running for years without issues. I bring one of these and a Shure ULX mic to weddings. The ULX is my backup.

Sounds good to me, I think you may have me sold. That'll give me more money to spend elsewhere and the rack mountable ness of that will allow me to fit it in my box which, as mentioned before, is a massive plus to me.

-dan

DJ Nada
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
I use the before-mentioned AKG system. It works well, much better than it's price would suggest.

neonpachyderm
04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Another suggestion is this (http://www.kingdom.com/avtronics-uhf-wireless-2-microphone-systems-p/sysd.htm?1=1&CartID=0). AVTronics dual UHF wireless. My dad uses this system every week at church and loves it. I have the four-channel version ($417 on the same site), and it's rack-mountable.

Don't know how it compares to some of the others, but our church has a Shure SM58 (L7 diversity receiver, IIRC), and it's comparable in sound quality.

BillESC
04-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I really like the physical appearance and the rack mountable-ness of the GTD Audio G-622H posted by SS18734. Can you sell me on the value of your system over the one he posted in my situation? If I could get 60 gigs out of this sytem, I'd be more than pleased, that's 10 years of service for me at the rate I work and the rack would make it convenient...

I have AT wireless systems in my rental department that are nearing 20 years in service that have worked 30 to 50 events each year. Service issues have been infrequent to none.

You'll understand the "value" of a wireless system when those gathered don't hear the words "I do" because of a drop out. The complaints and loss of future business will be greater than the money saved on a cheap system.