PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for quality, midrange 2-channel mixers?

AlexC
02-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Background: I play mostly house and other EDM genres right now using a controller and my laptop, however I do occasionally play hip-hop, dancehall, top 40, etc and would like to get into some proper scratching. My uncle is leaving the DJ biz and decided to bestow me with his 1200s so right now I'm looking at either a SL2 or TSD2 and I'm swamped as to which mixer to get. I won't need more than 2 channels and my max budget would be around the $500 mark.

The reason I've decided to buy at least a midrange mixer from the get-go is because I don't want to have to upgrade in 6 months time or so when I'm used to the tables and either want more out of my mixer or something goes wrong with it.

Preferences (though not necessities): Good sound quality, decent crossfader, send/return loop (or built in fx), robust build quality, 3 band knob EQ.

What I've shortlisted so far:

Ecler Nuo 2.0 - Good sound quality and EQs as well as Ecler build quality but I've heard the xfader is poor.
Numark X5 - Decent faders and sound quality but no fx loop.
Allen & Heath Xone:22 - A&H sound quality but no power switch and I've heard of them having lots of issues related to that.
Pioneer DJM-250 - Good sound quality and dual filters but no fx loop and poor build quality (I've heard).
Used Rane TTM56 - Pretty much no cons except for it being used (and old).
Used Pioneer DJM-707 - Same feelings as the 56.

Another option is waiting a while and saving towards a Denon X600, which is new and has everything I'm looking for.
The reason I've decided to buy at least a midrange mixer from the get-go is because I don't want to have to upgrade in 6 months time or so when I'm used to the tables and either want more out of my mixer or something goes wrong with it.

So feel free chime in with your opinions on these mixers and others within my price range.

alazydj
02-23-2012, 06:54 PM
I like the DJM-250 for being a straightforward Pioneer product. Good value for a mixer with quality filters on both channels.

If you're all Scratch, look into the Rane or Ecler.

ElectroManiac
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I will say the Ecler Nuo 2.0 with an eternal xfader or inofader. I had a ecler 2.0 for more than two years and that mixer was a tank. Sound quality was great and the EQ are the best I have try.

Hausgeist
02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
I will say the Ecler Nuo 2.0 with an eternal xfader or inofader. I had a ecler 2.0 for more than two years and that mixer was a tank. Sound quality was great and the EQ are the best I have try.

/thread

AlexC
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
The Ecler was always the frontrunner anyway, its a gorgeous mixer too if you ask me...

mostapha
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
My preference for what you've listed and what you want:

used TTM65s
Nuo 2.0 with Innofader
DJM-707

There's a reason the Rane has only been updated with Scratch Live capable versions…there's not a lot more you'd really want in a hip hop/battle mixer. I think the Vestax 05 pro IV is better because it's easier to trade out DVS sound cards and has enough MIDI functionality that I could mix with just it, a laptop, and a sound card.

Or, if you save up just a bit more, a new ttm56s only costs $750ish.

scottie the goonie
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I had a 707 and it wasn't bad. Fader is pretty nice too.

AlexC
02-23-2012, 11:56 PM
I would save and get a new ttm56s or something along those lines but my budget is based on mixer cost alone, excluding customs fees and taxes when I ship it to my country. So that $750 is really around $1100 for me factoring all those costs in.

Estacy
02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Nuo 2.0 with Innofader

and there you have it, for about 400 bucks a mixer that performs better than mixers that cost more than double that.

djkvg
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
look into Allen and Heath Xone 2:02. only con for me is that the EQs are upfaders but other than that the fader is CRAZY light. Pro X Fade.

ampnation
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
For me it would be between the Rane, the A&H and the Ecler.

Rane is Rane. If and when I upgrade from my Denon X500, I'll probably get a Rane MP series mixer.

As far as the power switch in the A&H, consider adding an inline power switch on the power cable, only if you're buying used/no warranty. I don't see the harm in powering it off via a power strip though. That is how I power my Denon equipment on and off because the power switch is inaccessible when rack mounted. In fact my entire mixer rack which includes FOH live sound gear is done this way. I never touch the power switches on the gear itself. If you're unplugging from the wall or using a particularly cheap power strip, I could see maybe it affecting the internals on the mixer though.

I have an Ecler 3 (not 3.0) with an eternal but I'm not a scratch artist so its wasted on me and can't really compare I will say I can see the advantage for scratching compared to the xfader on my Denon X500 which is what I use as my main mixer.

deejaygo
02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
for the price, a DJM-250 isn't bad. It's difficult to find everything you're looking for in a mid-range mixer. I have a DJM-250 and it works great for small events. The XLR outs are definitely a plus.

DJNR
02-29-2012, 02:17 PM
+1 for Ecler.

punky
02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I'd roll with the Ecler. They're great.

mostapha
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
There's no reason to consider a DJM-250 over a Rane or Ecler. Compared to the xone:22, I think it's a toss up based on which sacrifices/shortcuts you're willing to deal with. But the Ranes and Eclers are just hands-down better mixers.

Pioneer's equipment is always overpriced compared to other options, but their top end stuff (The DJM-900 and CDJ-2000) have some awesome features that almost make it worth while if you've got the money. The same can't be said about the rest of their stuff unless your only piriority is the stuff not breaking.

The DJM-707 was an exception to that. It was pretty damn good for the price when they still made it. But they discontinued it for reasons that still baffle me.

AlexC
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Any thoughts on the X5? Sweet deal for em on Amazon right now for $250 + shipping. Lowest price i've seen for the Ecler is $380. I do prefer the Ecler though, just wanna know if the X5 would be a decent enough substitute for the Nuo 2.0 if I'm strapped for cash.

ampnation
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm not gonna say the X5 would be bad -- I don't know that particular mixer, and Numark has shown itself to be producing some decent products lately it would seem. However, I personally wouldn't buy Numark unless I really had to or it was backup gear. I would prefer to find a top tier item used. That said, I know a lot of people here have had good experiences with Numark gear.

Have you considered any Denon mixers? I think they are a great value overall, priced below Pioneer and from what I can tell, pretty much the same quality.

AlexC
03-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah I was looking at the X600, which would be ideal for me really but they're a bit out of my price range.

ampnation
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
If I wasn't concerned about shipping to Jamaica, I'd sell you my Ecler Nuo 3 with eternal. I've got it in a Pelican 1530 carry on case and have figured out the size format is best suited for vinyl tables or the larger CDJ's like the 1000 or 2000. Since going to an all Denon rackmount system I haven't used it. I really should list it on the classifieds here.