PDA

View Full Version : Lightronics SM-192 vs. Elation DMX Operator

ksmalk08
02-23-2012, 06:18 PM
In two weeks I am expecting to have 2x Martin SCX600's, 2x SCX500's (v1.1 w/macros), and 2x Elation Design Brick 12's.

I am currently using an EnTTec Open DMX Usb with Q-Light Software Controller on a mac - but have found it very difficult to make any sort of chases or scenes - and therefore am looking to move to a physical board like the ones in the title. Also - I am not a big fan of bringing a computer (in some cases a second computer) to my gigs.

I have come across the Lightronics SM-192 board and it appears to be pretty identical to the Elation DMX Operator. Lightronics is a very respectable company, and if I can get it for cheaper then the DMX Operator does anyone see why not?

Link:
http://www.lightronics.com/consoles_sm192.html

Opinions or experience with Lightronics/the SM-192? Is it a good choice for my rig?

ksmalk08
10-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Update:

So I've had my Lightronics SM-192 board now for over 7 months, with occasional use with the above mentioned fixtures.
It has performed as expected, no failures of any kind. I think I could look back and say I made a good decision. Granted, I have not been abusing it, but the build quality seems solid.

Easy to program, pretty much identical to the Elation DMX operator in that regard. Does most of what I would want with the fixtures I have, and I have found myself opting to use this board over my EnTTec DMX interface for majority of my gigs. The computer has its advantages, but often I have been happier with the physical board - less to worry about failing or overheating, and getting banged around.