PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Experiences Where The Client Wasn't Happy With The Services You Provided!

LiteTrix
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm looking for some really good stories on how a client wasn't happy or impressed with what you provided them with. Also feel free to include pictures of pissed clients or even guests. Try to make the stories as detailed as possible.

Rep given to all that provide some kick butt stories. Make me laugh :lol:

iammongo
02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm happy to say that i have nothing to share with you.

Have a nice day :lol:

Synaxis
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm looking for some really good stories on how a client wasn't happy or impressed with what you provided them with. Also feel free to include pictures of pissed clients or even guests. Try to make the stories as detailed as possible.

Rep given to all that provide some kick butt stories. Make me laugh :lol:

Typically, when someone starts these types threads, it's customary for the OP to begin with such a story.

No one is going to waste their time writing a block of text just to make you laugh, if you don't even attempt to do the same, in order to provide everyone else with a little humor.

Sween
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah... you started it. Go first!

Seriously... though I have had some events not go smoothly... I have never had a complaint from the actual client.

The only thing I can think of that comes close to a complaint is in the testimonial here

"Chris was absolutely fantastic! The groom and I had a terrible communication problem, we thought that we had the venue an hour longer than we actually did. We realized this right at the beginning of our reception. Instead of having to hire all the venue's employees for an extra hour we decided to squish the reception down by an hour. Chris was incredibly accommo******! The father/daughter and mother/son dances and cake cutting all happened back to back which was really great because it gave our guests ~1:45 of uninterrupted dance time. The dance floor was packed for the entire reception, which was halloween themed. The only complaint I have is that the introduction song for our bridal party ran out before they were done being introduced. That being said we were still so happy with Chris's services we asked not to be reimbursed for the hour of time that we booked him for. If you have the chance to use Chris's services, please do! He is incredibly helpful and easy to work with." --Halley and Matt 11/6/2011

I meant to have the song on a loop b/c it was short... and I totally forgot. When the song ran out the MOH and Best Man were walking out... I did not have enough time to re-cue the song. Literally 10 seconds of silence before I introduced the B&G... not a big deal. But yeah, silence is bad.

^^Oh and FYI on the "bad communication" thing... She was talking about the fact that they had bought me for 5 hours, but only bought the hall for 4 hours. She was happy I hurried things along so they could still have a solid 2 hours of dancing. I was happy to find out I would be leaving an hour early and not refunding anything!

Badger
02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Back in the late 1990s, I got hired for a bar mitzvah. Now, I didn't know much about bar mitzvahs at the time, and this was my first one.

The mother of the birthday boy called me and I explained very clearly what I did as a professional DJ. She explained that there were two rooms rented, and there would be another party down the hall where a lot of the adults would be.

She was a little bit confused in her wording, because what she meant to say was: "We have a lot of shitty kids that we're tired of wrangling, and you're going to get to babysit the little turd dumplings for a few hours while we parents have REAL fun down the hall."

That's pretty much what happened. My assistant(s) and I were in a small hotel banquet room, with my equipment on the opposite side of the room from the entrance. There were two other unfortunate vendors on either side of the room. One was something like a sundae bar (I remember that it required ice), and the other was probably something like a balloon animal guy or something.

Well, not surprisingly, the evening sucked. The kids wouldn't dance (of course), and instead would rally around me screaming their requests at me while I tried to do what I could to make them happy. There were hardly ever any of the parents in the room; they would pop in every 20-30 minutes to make sure nothing was on fire, but that was about it.

It seriously was a babysitting gig.

Eventually, some of the kids decided it would be fun to grab handfuls of ice and have fights with it directly in front of my equipment. I had to yell at them repeatedly and finally shut down the music for a moment to get their attention. This was the type of "crowd" I was dealing with.

At one point, one of them - a little girl who was easily old enough to know better - took a piece of string and purposely dropped it onto the currently-playing vinyl record so that it would spin around and then wrap around the needle, screwing up the song playback, of course. That was what really pushed me a bit too far into the red, and I remember asking her, "WHY did you do that?" Her response: "I wanted to see what would happen." ARGH.

Toward the end, the mother of the birthday boy came in and handed me my check. She looked saddened and instead of saying, "Thanks for tending to our demon horde," she told me: "I thought you were going to play games with them."

I explained that I had been hired to play music, and that's what I did. (In other words: I'm a DJ, not a damned clown.)

This was one of the main gigs that convinced me that I never wanted to do "kids' parties" again.

:badger:

Dix
02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Eventually, some of the kids decided it would be fun to grab handfuls of ice and have fights with it directly in front of my equipment. I had to yell at them repeatedly and finally shut down the music for a moment to get their attention. This was the type of "crowd" I was dealing with.

This was VERY similar to my last kids party, except the ice was an all out food fight with mainly cake.. bear in mind that the food wasn't for this party. It was for the party immediately after this sweet 16. This sweet 16 was for a very prominent family in this area who owned a new car dealership here. It was at one of the local country clubs & all this was going on while the mothers sat outside by the pool sipping their wine.

While the mother could tell we were upset beyond her attempts to comfort us, she did give us a nice tip. However, once I got all the cake cleaned out of my speakers, I vowed & have held true, that I would never do another kids event. That was in 2003 or 2004.

Badger
02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
This was VERY similar to my last kids party, except the ice was an all out food fight with mainly cake.. bear in mind that the food wasn't for this party. It was for the party immediately after this sweet 16. This sweet 16 was for a very prominent family in this area who owned a new car dealership here. It was at one of the local country clubs & all this was going on while the mothers sat outside by the pool sipping their wine.

While the mother could tell we were upset beyond her attempts to comfort us, she did give us a nice tip. However, once I got all the cake cleaned out of my speakers, I vowed & have held true, that I would never do another kids event. That was in 2003 or 2004.

Holy cow... that's insane! I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Luckily, I've never had cake in my speakers. I've had the ice incident, and there was a middle school in Tulsa at which the kids would pelt us with Skittles because I refused to play their precious widdle Marilyn Manson... but luckily, I don't think there was ever a cake fight or food fight at any of our gigs. Whew!

DJMC
02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
The "Sushi Incident" (sounds like an episode of the Big Bang Theory):

About 13 years ago -- I was working for a friend's Multi-Op and at the event I was working-- they were serving Sushi.

Even in CA, a lot of folks do not like "raw fish" so the sushi was just sitting there uneaten. So naturally, I thought I was helping out by "eating it." (LOL)

My friend Ray got a complaint letter from the client - saying that I was unprofessional eating their food.
They were upset b/c they were planning to eat the leftovers! (WTF-- if the sushi had sit thru the whole 5 hour reception w/o refrigeration -- the B/G would have gotten really SICK from bacterial poisoning.)

So -- in reality I saved them from going to the hospital!

I still laugh about this "complaint" -- and mention it to prospects when they ask: "DO YOU EAT?" -- then I tell them the story about the sushi. (Sushi = DJMC's kryptonite)

DJ Sunshine
02-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Recently signed up, spent most of my time crawling around DJTT when DJF was down, so it's good to be back! I recently just did a house party where a drunken Indian guy threw up in the bushes while I was outside smoking a cigarette, then came over yelling incoherently at me. He was apparently pissed that I wouldn't play Party Rock Anthem again, and he took a swing at me. The house security was right there, but I dropped him before they even got up. This was after a very rough night of people yelling at me, the sound system cutting in and out, and rude requests, so I was pretty much at the breaking point by then. Nobody got mad at me after that though, and I finished the set strong. The host came up to me afterwards and said he would definitely be giving me a call again in the future and that I really made the party a success, and that he was incredibly sorry about the incident outside. So I guess I did a good job...??:uhoh:

I love music
02-26-2012, 01:12 PM
i was gonna write something but after i read the "make me laugh" line i decided not to