PDA

View Full Version : Modding SL1200 MK2 Pitch Fader

Jason Lintner
03-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey All,

I'm been searching the forum all morning & I can't see to find any documentation to support this. Can someone please refer me to a previous discussion on this?

My pitch fader crapped out on me at the very end of a 4hr live set, luckily it was my last transition & song for the night. The pitch fader feels like it has sand in it. BPM's were jumping to #'s I didn't even know I had on a -8+.

Anyways, I can simply buy new MK2 faders and remove the center click ball bearing but I'm more interested in the mk3/5 faders. Is it worth the time & effort to install these? Any befits with smoothness & accuracy of mk3/5 faders? I also do know that the zero point led (mines custom) would be disabled by doing this, not a concern. Can I swap a SFDZ122N11-3 (MK3/5) fader onto my MK2 PCB or do I also require the MK3/5 PCB with fader?

There is also mention of cutting an orange wire, what is this for?

I seriously can only find bits & pieces about this on the interweb, please steer me right , I'm not 100% clear as to what needs to be done to complete the mod.

Thanks

Jason Lintner
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Found this, I think I'm good now.

http://www.new-line.nl/?i=62

The only question I have now is, should I just purchase mk2 pitch faders & remove the ball bearing center clicks or purchase the mk5 pitch faders? Any advantages/disadvantages other than loosing my zero point led with the mk5 sliders?

Nicadraus
03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Removing the bearing and disabling the quartz lock (orange wire) of the MK2 pitch control will result to M3D/MK5 pitch control. You ca use M3D/MK5 pitch control to MK2 PCB if you have bought already.

Jason Lintner
03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Removing the bearing and disabling the quartz lock (orange wire) of the MK2 pitch control will result to M3D/MK5 pitch control. You ca use M3D/MK5 pitch control to MK2 PCB if you have bought already.

I went ahead & purchased MK2 pitch faders, mainly becuase everything I am about to perform is 100% reversable back to factory spec. I found all my other info in the two links above. If I don't like the feel of the new pitch faders, I'll order ones from a mk5 instead.

Sean_5
03-13-2013, 01:48 AM
its really easy to remove the click on the MK2 fader. just ned the tabs open, pull it apart, pull out the click, and snap back together.

done

DTR
03-13-2013, 06:12 AM

:stupid:

It's definitely worth cutting the orange wire as it does make the fader more accurate around zero.

KLH
03-13-2013, 06:42 AM
http://technics.junglist.pl/hacking_technics.html

So this mod (disabling quartz lock, green light forced zero point, and calibration of zero point) is legit? The mod seems to address all of the negatives of the MK2 and make it better than the M3D and MK5.

If so, I'll look to buy MK2s and do this mod instead of the other variants.

-KLH

DjLiquitATL
03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I've always desoldered tp for quartz lock...nice to know an easier way

there aren't really any benefits to the m3d model
- headshell holder
- button for quartz lock

there are benefits to the mk5/m5g models though
- more anti-skate control
- more pitch range on m5g
- better tonearms

but you can always upgrade your mk2 with components of other models...kind of like a car in some ways... there are always minor improvements when new models come out... if you get ahold of a super old mk2 the tonearms SUCK and the assembly was one heavy ass rubber base and the shell...which caused issues with feedback, so Technics fixed the issue with the new assembly...rubber base, hard plastic base, shell...plus a better tonearm

Jason Lintner
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
its really easy to remove the click on the MK2 fader. just ned the tabs open, pull it apart, pull out the click, and snap back together.

done

I do realize how eazy it will be to remove the ball bearing. I was mainly concerned with how smooth & acurate the MK2 pitch's will be in comparison to those from an MK5. I've never owned or played on a set with fresh MK2 pitch's with the center ball bearing removed.

All in all, a simple mod & reversible if desired.
I must say over the years I've developed a new skill set with fighting the quartz at zero pitch.

Panotaker
03-13-2013, 03:38 PM
If you are going to do the quartz lock mod to your turntable, follow my guide here: http://www.new-line.nl/?i=62 That other site stole all my pictures without my permission. I explain what the quartz lock mod does on that link. If you have any questions, just ask. You cannot do the quartz lock mod to the M5G, that turntable is completely different. You can do the mod to the other models.

KLH
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
^ Awesome. Rep. :tup:

Wait, why is the rest of that page in German?

-KLH

Jason Lintner
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
If you are going to do the quartz lock mod to your turntable, follow my guide here: http://www.new-line.nl/?i=62 That other site stole all my pictures without my permission. I explain what the quartz lock mod does on that link. If you have any questions, just ask. You cannot do the quartz lock mod to the M5G, that turntable is completely different. You can do the mod to the other models.

I updated my previous post to provide your link only. The second link I posted, not sure what happended with it but it wasn't what I wanted to share & is also removed.

Thanks for educacting!

Panotaker
03-13-2013, 05:48 PM
^ Awesome. Rep. :tup:

Wait, why is the rest of that page in German?

-KLH
The reason is in German is because I posted the mod back when there where no DJ forums. I posted on one of the usenet news groups. Some guy in Europe said he had some web space, so he offered to put it up for me. It has been there ever since. This mod was first released by Technics back when the SL-1200mk2 first came out. The reason was because DJ's where used to mixing disco songs on the SL-1100A turntables. To beatmatch the live drummer tracks, we pressed on the platter and the platter would slow down. With the 1200mk2's, you can't do that. The platter starts jerking when you press on the platter. So Technics came out with the Quartz lock mod. On Technics version of the mod, you had to solder in a couple of resistors on the circuit board. So a DJ in Houston Texas, who is also an electronics Technician, looked at the schematic, and he came up with the mod I have listed, which is a lot easier to do since you only have to cut the orange wire and one resistor. Once you do the mod, you can press on the platter on the 1200 and it will slow down smoothly like the old SL-1100's.

This mod is not really needed if you mix new music that was made with an electronic drum machine, since the beats are very accurate. It is only really needed if you mix music that was made by a live drummer. The mod is easy to undo, just solder the resistor and the orange wire and adjust the pitch pot. I do the mod to all my 1200's, and I still have the same 1200 in those pictures.

Panotaker
03-13-2013, 05:49 PM
I updated my previous post to provide your link only. The second link I posted, not sure what happended with it but it wasn't what I wanted to share & is also removed.

Thanks for educacting!

Thanks for fixing the link.