PDA

View Full Version : setting levels with traktor

sbstm
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
i'm using traktor for several years now, most of the time working in external mixer mode and setting the levels on the hardware mixer (autogain off, limiter off, master output -3, never touched gain on single decks).

the input gain controls on my xone:22 don't feel very comfortable, just not soft enough. and recently i played in a club equipped with a 4-eq allen&heath mixer, the channel meters are way to small to work with. this made me thinking about setting levels inside the software.

i was testing the autogain function, sometimes very ok, but in the end i'm faster and more consistent adjusting the levels myself. but i really like the idea to store my custom gain values.

metering in traktor is impossible. i decided to do monitoring on my external mixer, and gain adjustments in traktor, seems to work, but ...

my settings: limiter off, master 0, headroom -3

with most of my tracks everything worked fine. then I loaded one of my favorite flacs (horizontal ground 5), autogain recommended +3, with this setting the peaks on my hardware mixer are hitting below zero. i wanted them at zero and set gain to +4, then the master output of traktor is indicating clipping. i cant't hear distortion, there a tons headroom on the xone, and of course if headroom = 3 and gain = 4 it makes +1, so the only solution is to lower master volume in traktor? but then i've to boost the input gains on my xone (now in center position) to read the meters the way i'm used to ... horizontal ground 5 is a track with lots of subs, maybe the recommended autogain was ok, and when played in a club it's perfect, but i've many older tracks that will require more than +4, it drives me crazy. i'm looking for a setting that works as reference. in the end i will have to set master volume low enough to work with all my tracks?

a lot of text, hope not to confusing, what are your experiences and recommendations?

thanks in advance