PDA

View Full Version : Go to hear the the NEW YAMAHA DXR powered speakers today!

Al Poulin
02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I am at work at the moment though ,so will have to report tonight...:(

AL

shawno
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Why the sad face ?
Because of the way the Yammies sound or you having to wait to share info about the last powered speaker mobile dj's will buy?

spicaly
02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
interested to hear how the subwoofers sound

Unknown DJ
02-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Booooo!!!!!!! Thanks for teasing us. :( Can't wait for the review.

Al Poulin
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
OK. So I paid a visit to my music store today and noticed that they had JUST received the DXR 8, 12, 15 powered tops AS WELL as the DXS 12 and 15" powered subs. My dealer (favorite salesman) was there and was in the mood to demo these boxes for me, so I had a terrific lunch hour.

First off, we tried the DXR 8s on top of the DXB 12'' powered subs. Tops sounded very good. Nice top end and overall sound although, like the DSRs I find the mids could stick out just a little more. Overall the sound of the 8 + 12'' sub combination was good, but I really did not care for these subs AT ALL. They didn't seem to go very low and seemed more like one note thumpers (even more so that Yorkville LS200P/701P). They didn't seem ''musical'' at all to me. Let's just say when I saw the dimensions and power rating I was initially interested, but after hearing them, I will stick with my 720P. Price for the pair of subs was roughly 1500$ which is good but like I said, they simply didn't sound like subs to me. My dealer then confirmed that they were bandpass boxes and that he didn't care for them either. He told me the 18'' DSR sub is much better.

We then tried the tops by themselves and they did pretty well for being 8s, but of course had absolutely no bass which is to be expected. When I asked about the DXR 12s, he told me they were the first he tested and that they were very good, but that the RCF 312As outperform them - even in the low frequency department which I found surprising.

I then asked him to hook up the DXR 15s by themselves to see how they would do for the average DJ looking for a pair of tops on stands. With the contour switch engaged, I tell you these DXR 15s sounded mighty freakin' nice - with a noticeably extended bottom end and ear friendly mid and nice top end. Kind of like an NX55P on steroids, but unlike the NX55P, I did not see the limit light blink at higher levels. This was out of the box, no EQ and with only the contour switch engaged. I actually much preferred this pair of tops by themselves vs the 8 + 12'' sub combination from a ''musicality'' stand point. The litterature on the DXRs did mention that with the DXR 15 with contour engaged - you might have the impression your were using a sub at the same time - and they were pretty much on the money.

After having found my favorite box in the DXR line, I asked my dealer to hook up the pair of 312As to compare. (right after having blasted the DXR 15) First off, I was surprised (and impressed) at how loud these 350 watt 312As actually get and can say the mid and top end on these two boxes was surprisingly similar in character. Nice and smooth with an ear friendly mid and nice top end. I found the top end to be nicer overall than on the DSRs which I found needed to be reduced (and I LIKE high frequencies). The main difference betweeen the DXR 15 and RCF ART 312A was the extended low frequency of the DXR (although it did have the contour engaged AND is a 15'' of course).

My main negative about the DXR boxes would have to be the finish - which to me and my dealer looks fragile and easily marked. I would be afraid to put my fingers on them after eating Lay's chips is how I can best describe it.

Positives would be plenty of power, SUPERB and flexible mixer section and a lower price than the DSRs. For example, the DXR 15s go for roughly 849$ here while the DSR 115s go for 999$. The 15, even though DSR used neo and DXR ferrite - the DSR comes in at 62lbs compared to the 49lbs of the DXR. Of course, the DSRs are more capable boxes with more power and better components, but still the DXRs do have a lot to offer. Depends if the flexibility of the mixer section is important and IF you actually need all of the power the DSRs offer.

So, there you have it. These are just first impressions following a quick demo with some playback music. I really have my eye on a pair of DXR 15s is all I can say at the moment. :-)

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

fueledbymusic
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
You can never expect an 18 out of an 8. Other than horn loaded cabs. 12" subs could never give bass to fullest potential. I would think that 8+12 combo would be great for backyard parties or basement parties

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 02:25 PM
My favorite dealer was nice enough to let me take a set of DXR15s for a spin this weekend. :D Will post a full product review tommorow night. Still really hating the finish on these boxes, unfortunately. Other than that, they are awesome...

Al

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Just had a chance to run the DXR15s in my studio for about half an hour. Wow. Absolutely superb sounding boxes on CD music anyway. Probably the best sounding full range powered speaker I have yet to test. High frequencies are crisp and very detailed and the low end is nice, extended and almost subwoofer like. Output capability is about as much as I can tolerate in this fairly small space although I am certain I got pretty close to limiting.

Perfect DJ box is how I would class these DXR15s at the moment. (SPEAKER COVERS HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). I have the contour activated on both boxes on the back and have boosted the highs a little on my mixer channel (since the contour made them slightly bottom heavy) and they now sound near perfect to me. Kind of like an NX55P on steroids. I did hook up the NX55Ps as well, which sounded about as good as the DXRs (but actually had even a little more deep bass but a not as airy top end) but the NX55Ps ran out of steam - or woofer excursion - before the DXRs did - although we are comparing a 12'' to a 15'' so it is no surprise the NX55P can't move as much air - and therefore not produce as much SPL while producing this deep bass. Both DXR15 and NX55Ps sounded fantastic on CD music though and it was surprising to see the NX55Ps sound as full and nice as this new Yamaha up to the time it ran out of woofer.

Now it seems I have to decide if my next speakers are going to be a set of DXR15s OR anothe set of NX55Ps. (I will be selling the Titans and YX15Ps as these are simply not in the same league as the DXRs, NX55Ps or Art310As and I don't use them much anymore).

More to follow tommorow...

Al

Incognito
02-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Just had a chance to run the DXR15s in my studio for about half an hour. Wow. Absolutely superb sounding boxes on CD music anyway. Probably the best sounding full range powered speaker I have yet to test. High frequencies are crisp and very detailed and the low end is nice, extended and almost subwoofer like. Output capability is about as much as I can tolerate in this fairly small space although I am certain I got pretty close to limiting.

Perfect DJ box is how I would class these DXR15s at the moment. (SPEAKER COVERS HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). I have the contour activated on both boxes on the back and have boosted the highs a little on my mixer channel (since the contour made them slightly bottom heavy) and they now sound near perfect to me. Kind of like an NX55P on steroids. I did hook up the NX55Ps as well, which sounded about as good as the DXRs (but actually had even a little more deep bass but a not as airy top end) but the NX55Ps ran out of steam - or woofer excursion - before the DXRs did - although we are comparing a 12'' to a 15'' so it is no surprise the NX55P can't move as much air - and therefore not produce as much SPL while producing this deep bass. Both DXR15 and NX55Ps sounded fantastic on CD music though and it was surprising to see the NX55Ps sound as full and nice as this new Yamaha up to the time it ran out of woofer.

Now it seems I have to decide if my next speakers are going to be a set of DXR15s OR anothe set of NX55Ps. (I will be selling the Titans and YX15Ps as these are simply not in the same league as the DXRs, NX55Ps or Art310As and I don't use them much anymore).

More to follow tommorow...

Al
I would be interested in the 12" version of these depending on how well they sound without a dedicated sub, the active DSP processing built into these speakers with on the fly correction sounds very interesting.

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 07:17 PM
I would be interested in the 12" version of these depending on how well they sound without a dedicated sub, the active DSP processing built into these speakers with on the fly correction sounds very interesting.

At 49lbs, the DXR15 puts out noticeably more and deeper bottom than the 12''. I was not very impressed with the 12'' honestly. The RCF Art 312A actually outperforms it AND at a much lower price...

Al

Incognito
02-25-2012, 07:38 PM
At 49lbs, the DXR15 puts out noticeably more and deeper bottom than the 12''. I was not very impressed with the 12'' honestly. The RCF Art 312A actually outperforms it AND at a much lower price...

Al

Nice to know, will keep that in mind. Sometimes I wish I would of kept at least one pair of my old QSC HPR122i tops.

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice to know, will keep that in mind. Sometimes I wish I would of kept at least one pair of my old QSC HPR122i tops.

The HPR122s are indeed excellent sounding tops. A little heavy, but excellent.

Al

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 08:35 PM
http://www.freepicsupload.com/dm-013302255353.png (http://www.freepicsupload.com/pm-013302255353.png)

Incognito
02-25-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.freepicsupload.com/dm-013302255353.png (http://www.freepicsupload.com/pm-013302255353.png)

Wow that looks real small for a 15" top.

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
They are pretty compact and lightweight for being a 15'' powered top with this much power. I love everything about these cabs except for the awful finish on them. WORST I have ever seen in any powered speaker. Scratches apear on them just by looking at them wrong...

Al

Incognito
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
They are pretty compact and lightweight for being a 15'' powered top with this much power. I love everything about these cabs except for the awful finish on them. WORST I have ever seen in any powered speaker. Scratches apear on them just by looking at them wrong...

Al

I however see they sacrificed extension for this compact size (-10db @ 49hz with a big drop off around 70hz) which really defeats the purpose of a 15" driver (you would think it would be decent down to at least 50hz). That's a real let down but it looks like they apply a little DSP magic (can you say EQ boost) with their contour feature that helps a lot in this frequency range. http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.exp.yamaha.com&asset_id=52934

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Specs only tell you so much... The only fairly compact full range powered speakers I've ever tested that goes as low as the DXR15s are my NX55Ps. The DXRs will keep putting out after my NX55Ps start to limit however - as they can move more air. In the store and in my small studio, it almost sounds like I'm using a sub when I've got the DXR15s OR NX55Ps playing music. Very impressive. Looking at JUST the specs on the DXR8s,10s,12s and 15s you might not think there exists a big difference in their low frequency response, but you would be wrong. The difference between the 12s and 15s is VERY noticeable and worth the extra few lbs and larger size. I asked to take the 15s home to confirm that these deeper low frequencies I was hearing in the store weren't just because of the acoustic in the store. I am happy to say that they really are there my friend. The horns on the DXR are also excellent - really crisp and detailed with a nice airy top end. Other than the finish, the DXR15s have really impressed me so far...

Al

Incognito
02-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Specs only tell you so much... The only fairly compact full range powered speakers I've ever tested that goes as low as the DXR15s are my NX55Ps. The DXRs will keep putting out after my NX55Ps start to limit however - as they can move more air. In the store and in my small studio, it almost sounds like I'm using a sub when I've got the DXR15s OR NX55Ps playing music. Very impressive. Looking at JUST the specs on the DXR8s,10s,12s and 15s you might not think there exists a big difference in their low frequency response, but you would be wrong. The difference between the 12s and 15s is VERY noticeable and worth the extra few lbs and larger size. I asked to take the 15s home to confirm that these deeper low frequencies I was hearing in the store weren't just because of the acoustic in the store. I am happy to say that they really are there my friend. The horns on the DXR are also excellent - really crisp and detailed with a nice airy top end. Other than the finish, the DXR15s have really impressed me so far...

Al

The specs speak the truth, the low end you hear are DSP generated as shown in the graphs I posted, without the DSP EQ boost the cabinet doesn't do much down low but has a boost in the 100hz to 70hz then a steep drop off.
The 12 look like it would be the best performer as far as accuracy goes (raw SPL out the window) with its' flat response, then add a nice dedicated sub (preferably one also with a nice flat response) & it will yield a smooth all around portable system but will be lacking in the low end by itself.

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 11:02 PM
The contour really does do its job very well. The processing must be very similar (though not as heavy) as the one applied in my NX55Ps which extends even lower down to 45hz! Amazing for such a compact 12'' powered cab.

Al

Al Poulin
02-25-2012, 11:18 PM
I didn't like the DXR12 by itself on stands. Even with the contour ON, it didn't seem to be doing much below 70hz. When we hooked up the 15s, the difference was very noticeable. Even here in my studio, the DXR15's low frequency response is surprising - even though it is there through processing. A nice hi-fi sounding cab that won't need sub reinforcement on small to medium wedding type events and gets loud enough to rock the party is something I've always wanted and almost had with the NX55P. As mentionned, I only tested the DXR for half an hour and will do more testing tommorow. I am truly enjoying playing with these speakers however...

Al

Incognito
02-25-2012, 11:54 PM
The contour really does do its job very well. The processing must be very similar (though not as heavy) as the one applied in my NX55Ps which extends even lower down to 45hz! Amazing for such a compact 12'' powered cab.

Al
Looking at how it effects the frequency response you can see it adds a bit of a classic smiley face EQing, in that it gives a little boost to the highs & a boost to the low end with everything in between pretty much left alone & adds frequency specific compression to SPL robbing frequencies to boost over all SPL. The fact that the 12" reflex NX55P tops have better bass response then the 15" DXR reiterates what I was saying earlier that it's a shame they have designed a 15" that defeats the purpose of a 15" driver since even with the EQ boost engaged the DXR still suffers from that same 70hz drop off but it's masked a bit by the boosting of the EQ.

I would look elsewhere for a sub outside of the DXR offerings since the DXR subs look like their geared more towards wedding type gigs where all you're looking for is a full sounding sound system rather then a club sounding system, the 12" sub offers a -10db of 47hz & the 15" sub offers -10 @ 45hz. The overall SPL of this entire series isn't ground breaking or overly impressive but as long as they sound good right on up to their max SPL output then they'll have a good edge over many other offerings that start to break up in SQ long before they reach their stated spec.

Al Poulin
02-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Looking at how it effects the frequency response you can see it adds a bit of a classic smiley face EQing, in that it gives a little boost to the highs & a boost to the low end with everything in between pretty much left alone & adds frequency specific compression to SPL robbing frequencies to boost over all SPL. The fact that the 12" reflex NX55P tops have better bass response then the 15" DXR reiterates what I was saying earlier that it's a shame they have designed a 15" that defeats the purpose of a 15" driver since even with the EQ boost engaged the DXR still suffers from that same 70hz drop off but it's masked a bit by the boosting of the EQ.

I would look elsewhere for a sub outside of the DXR offerings since the DXR subs look like their geared more towards wedding type gigs where all you're looking for is a full sounding sound system rather then a club sounding system, the 12" sub offers a -10db of 47hz & the 15" sub offers -10 @ 45hz. The overall SPL of this entire series isn't ground breaking or overly impressive but as long as they sound good right on up to their max SPL output then they'll have a good edge over many other offerings that start to break up in SQ long before they reach their stated spec.

The DXS subs sound like crap IMO. Not natural at all, just a one note bandpass thump. I did not like them at all. Out of all the cabinets and subs, the DXR15 is the one that really stuck out for me as an outstanding and compact single box solution for mobile DJs. I'm listening to them at the moment at lower levels in my studio (with the contour engaged and a slight top end boost) and they simply sound great overall - AND FULL. The details the HF drivers bring out is also very noticeable and will call attention to any sub par or compressed music. I just love the overall sound, detail and fullness. I love my NX55Ps too, which probably have a similar pre-applied smiley face EQ but they limit so much more quickly than the DXRs. As far as bass response, both of these boxes seem almost equal with the NX going slightly lower. The single pair of DXRs really impresed me at high volumes too, making things on my desk move. My wife was not as impressed as she does not enjoy things rattling in the house... Anyway, I really feel the processing does a great job of really making the most of thes cabs.

Al

Windows 95
02-26-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.freepicsupload.com/dm-013302255353.png (http://www.freepicsupload.com/pm-013302255353.png)Ohhh... I love how small they look. (And that they are only 50 pounds each.) Can you please get a picture of the back so we can see the inputs, outputs & knobs?
Every website I've been to has the same picture. (Angled to show the side & front.)

fueledbymusic
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
For the 8 incher tops. Would you think that its worth the $500 each (is that what I saw in price)

Incognito
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Ohhh... I love how small they look. (And that they are only 50 pounds each.) Can you please get a picture of the back so we can see the inputs, outputs & knobs?
Every website I've been to has the same picture. (Angled to show the side & front.)

os78X4h1Z20

Al Poulin
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Short Youtube video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9_qsiOio&feature=channel

Full review video to be posted shortly...

Al

Incognito
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Short Youtube video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9_qsiOio&feature=channel

Full review video to be posted shortly...

Al

I can see them being good for wedding type gigs or small moderate level gigs on their own while with a decent sub I can see them being good for larger gigs

Al Poulin
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I can see them being good for wedding type gigs or small moderate level gigs on their own while with a decent sub I can see them being good for larger gigs

I'm sad to have to bring them back tommorow, to be honest. I would seriously love using these for everyday music listening and DJ'ing as well. The detail in the high frequencies and fullness of the overall sound really impressed me. A better finish would have probably convinced me to beg my wife for a pair, but for some reason she seems to think I have too many powered speakers already... Maybe someday. :)

Incognito
02-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm sad to have to bring them back tommorow, to be honest. I would seriously love using these for everyday music listening and DJ'ing as well. The detail in the high frequencies and fullness of the overall sound really impressed me. A better finish would have probably convinced me to beg my wife for a pair, but for some reason she seems to think I have too many powered speakers already... Maybe someday. :)

Sell off a couple pair of your lower end powered speakers, ask the retail guy for a rent to own deal (then pimp your services out to make them pay for themselves), sell a kidney, donate as much blood as is legally aloud, there's a will then that will, will find a way.

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 12:37 PM
The specs speak the truth, the low end you hear are DSP generated as shown in the graphs I posted, without the DSP EQ boost the cabinet doesn't do much down low but has a boost in the 100hz to 70hz then a steep drop off.
The 12 look like it would be the best performer as far as accuracy goes (raw SPL out the window) with its' flat response, then add a nice dedicated sub (preferably one also with a nice flat response) & it will yield a smooth all around portable system but will be lacking in the low end by itself.

Looking at the frequency response of the DXR15 (which I couldn't open last night on my computer at home), you can see that the DXR15 is still at about +3DB at 60hz and only down about 3DBs at 50hz (with the contour on) so that in my opinion would qualify as very decent low frequency response for such a compact cabinet.

Al

Incognito
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Looking at the frequency response of the DXR15 (which I couldn't open last night on my computer at home), you can see that the DXR15 is still at about +3DB at 60hz and only down about 3DBs at 50hz (with the contour on) so that in my opinion would qualify as very decent low frequency response for such a compact cabinet.

Al
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4707/yamahadxr15.png

without the EQ boost it's down -10db at 50hz, the spec sheet also tells you this.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3322/dxr15.png

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
I am talking about with the contour activated which is how I made most of my listening. With the contour, the response only starts falling once it hits 60hz - unless I'm reading the graph wrong. the 60-80hz response of the cabinet is very strong - which probably gives the cabinet its big sound. The 50hz response is still there and should be audible/felt at least a little - but obviously not as strong as the 60-80hz. If Yamaha had made the cabinet just slightly deeper, I bet that 50hz response would be better. They did sound very nice and full though.

I compared them to my 430$ Yorkville YX15Ps and the YX15Ps really were impressive for being half the price of the Yamahas. The Yamahas definitely had some deeper lows and some sweeter highs (and got louder before limiting), but overall the 200 watt YX15Ps really perform well for their 850$ a pair price..

Al

Incognito
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
I am talking about with the contour activated which is how I made most of my listening. With the contour, the response only starts falling once it hits 60hz - unless I'm reading the graph wrong. the 60-80hz response of the cabinet is very strong - which probably gives the cabinet its big sound. The 50hz response is still there and should be audible/felt at least a little - but obviously not as strong as the 60-80hz. If Yamaha had made the cabinet just slightly deeper, I bet that 50hz response would be better. They did sound very nice and full though.

I compared them to my 430$ Yorkville YX15Ps and the YX15Ps really were impressive for being half the price of the Yamahas. The Yamahas definitely had some deeper lows and some sweeter highs (and got louder before limiting), but overall the 200 watt YX15Ps really perform well for their 850$ a pair price..

Al

In that case you can take ANY speaker place an EQ into the signal chain & boost the hell out of it to make it perform but the fact is this speaker is still around 10db down at 50hz with or without the EQ boost. Most people don't have a clue as to what frequencies their hearing, they hear one frequency & swear down it's another, especially when it comes to bass.

Yamaha designed the cabinet to have a boost in the low end around 90hz to 70hz then added the EQ boost to further exaggerate this boost to compensate for the lack of a 50hz response, however just the fact that you say your Yorkville 12" top has more bass then this 15" top (& without all the EQ boosting on Yorkvilles part) says it all.

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
My YX15Ps have a response down to 60hz -/+3DB accordong to Yorkville but I could definitely hear/feel the deeper response of the DXR. Even though it was through processing, I am not convinced I could get these lower notes out of the Yorkville (even with applied EQ) as I am sure the low frequency driver in the YX15Ps is of much lower quality than what is found in the DXR. (and at twice the price it should be). Same thing as if you were trying to get 50hz bass out of a Behringer 212D. The woofers in my NX55P are 3" voice coil Celestion FTRs that CAN go that low while the cheap woofers in the Behringers can not - no matter how much processing you add...

http://celestion.com/product/70/ntr123018d/

Al

Incognito
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
My YX15Ps have a response down to 60hz -/+3DB accordong to Yorkville but I could definitely hear/feel the deeper response of the DXR. Even though it was through processing, I am not convinced I could get these lower notes out of the Yorkville (even with applied EQ) as I am sure the low frequency driver in the YX15Ps is of much lower quality than what is found in the DXR. (and at twice the price it should be). Same thing as if you were trying to get 45hz bass out of a Behringer 212D. The woofers in my NX55P are 3" voice coil Celestion FTRs that CAN go that low while the cheap woofers in the Behringers can not...

http://celestion.com/product/96/ftr123070c/

Al
However your Yorkville 12" tops according to your earlier statement already performed better then the DXR15 in the low frequency department. My point is this, this 15" top should be a better performer (without all that crazy EQ boosting going on) just on the merit of the driver used. The compromise of a 15" driver in general is that it doesn't have as smooth a midrange response as a equal counterpart 12" driver however the 15" drier is best suited for gigs where you don't want to bring a sub, now if you loose the benefit of the extended frequency that a 15" driver should bring to the table it defeats the purpose of a 15" driver in the first place. The DXR15 will sound good in dance & pop music that uses a lot of that 90hz region but if you get into songs that emphasises in the lowe frequencies around 50hz or so then you're going to force the DXR15 compressors to kick in at those frequencies (kind of strange to boost those frequencies to only then cut them back when you want to actually use them) then further exaggerate the lack of performance in that region.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4707/yamahadxr15.png

with the EQ boost it's still down 9db at 50hz,In that picture the red line (EQ boost on.) crosses the 50 Hz line half way between the 0 dB mark & the -5 dB mark. So according to that picture it's -2.5 dB @ 50 Hz.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
In that picture the red line (EQ boost on.) crosses the 50 Hz line half way between the 0 dB mark & the -5 dB mark. So according to that picture it's -2.5 dB @ 50 Hz.

Ummm no, you read a graph from a variance of DB from it's peak to it's lowest across the frequency band for a -10db rating, while for a +/-3db can only have a 3db above & 3db below the central most common reference point. In this particuar case the speakers peak is at 80hz (+8db) while the lowest is at 49hz (-2.5db) so that's a 10.5db drop (based on the boosted EQ chart). -10db in charts is like the peak power handling spec (useless).

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Ummm no, you read a graph from a variance of DB from it's peak to it's lowest across the frequency band for a -10db rating, while for a +/-3db can only have a 3db above & 3db below the central most common reference point. In this particuar case the speakers peak is at 80hz (+8db) while the lowest is at 49hz (-2.5db) so that's a 10.5db drop. -10db in charts is like the peak power handling spec (useless).No it's -10 from 0 dB not a 10dB variance between peek high dB & peak low dB. Ideally you want a speaker that has a completely flat 0 dB line from 20 Hz to 20 KHz. With the EQ on, that speaker has an average of +5 dB from 55 Hz to 450 Hz & an average of 0 dB from 500 Hz to 15 KHz.

So if we are talking about sound accuracy (sound quality), the speaker is actually a little too bass heavy & a little too harsh (The highs are too loud.). But most people prefer sound that emphasizes the lows & the highs.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
No it's -10 from 0 dB not a 10dB variance between peek high dB & peak low dB. Ideally you want a speaker that has a completely flat 0 dB line from 20 Hz to 20 KHz. With the EQ on, that speaker has an average of +5 dB from 55 Hz to 450 Hz & an average of 0 dB from 500 Hz to 15 KHz.

So if we are talking about sound accuracy (sound quality), the speaker is actually a little too bass heavy & a little too harsh (The highs are too loud.). But most people prefer sound that emphasizes the lows & the highs.

in case you missed it take a look at the actual spec for the speaker in question

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3322/dxr15.png

See, -10db at where? 49hz.... & I explained why in my earlier post.

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Just to clarify about my NX55Ps, the artificial boosting in those is substantial (even more than in the DXRs) and they limit much quicker than the DXRs - mostly because the woofers can't move any more air. The NX55Ps have long been regarded as speakers that have TOO MUCH added bass boost built into the processing. It does make them sound huge for such a small box, but at the cost of maximum SPL. (they limit quikly with any bass heavy top 40 track). I found the DXRs better in that regard as their limiting/processing is much less noticeable and they get noticeably louder than the NX. You can really tell when the NX55Ps run out of gas as they have a sliding filter that removed deeper low frequencies (to protect the woofers) the more you turn them up once they're into limiting. So, the more you crank them up, the thinner they sound. At lower volumes however (small weddings), they sound amazingly fat for such small boxes. almost like you're using subs - just like the DXRs.

Al

Incognito
02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Just to clarify about my NX55Ps, the boosting in those is substantial (even more than in the DXRs) and they limit much quicker than the DXRs - mostly because the woofers can't move any more air. The NX55Ps have long been regarded as speakers that have TOO MUCH artificial bass boost built into the processing. It does make them sound huge for such a small box, but at the cost of maximum SPL. (they limit quikly with any bass heavy top 40 track). I found the DXRs better in that regard as their limiting/processing is much less noticeable and they get noticeably louder than the NX. You can really tell when the NX55Ps run out of gas as they have a sliding filter that removed deeper low frequencies (to protect the woofers) the more you turn them up once they're into limiting. So, the more you crank them up, the thinner they sound. At lower volumes however (small weddings), they sound amazingly fat for such small boxes. almost like you're using subs - just like the DXRs.

Al
Actually this also holds true with the DXR15 but where Yamaha corrects the SPL loss due to the bass boost is their on the fly corrective DSP. Where you simply loose SPL in the Yorkville what Yamaha does is while the volume is low to moderate & the "contour" is engaged then you get your bass boost, however once you turn up the volume the DSP reduces the frequencies that are robbing the over all speaker from optimum SPL thus compresses the offending frequencies.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
See, -10db at where? 49hz.... Big whoop. (It's hitting +5 dB @ 55 Hz.) Unless you're listening to Classical music, you're probably never going to have your music go that low. If you're that obsessed with such ultra low frequencies, buy a subwoofer.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Big whoop. (It's hitting +5 dB @ 55 Hz.) Unless you're listening to Classical music, you're probably never going to have your music go that low. If you're that obsessed with such ultra low frequencies, buy a subwoofer.

The point of the 15" driver is for application where you want bass without a sub...

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Actually this also holds true with the DXR15 but where Yamaha corrects the SPL loss due to the bass boost is their on the fly corrective DSP. Where you simply loose SPL in the Yorkville what Yamaha does is while the volume is low to moderate & the "contour" is engaged then you get your bass boost, however once you turn up the volume the DSP reduces the frequencies that are robbing the over all speaker from optimum SPL thus compresses the offending frequencies.

Yes, I am aware of the constant monitoring/filtering built into the contour/DSP feature BUT just saying that the DXR does it so much better (and less noticeably) than my NXs. Having the bigger woofer and being able to move more air also helps keep things fuller longer than with the Yorkville box. As much as I love my NX55Ps, I have always had to monitor the limit light and use my ears as on certain tracks they audibly bottom out (not a good sound). I think the processing might have been improved on newer boxes (mine were from the first batches produced) but as they are I have to constantly keep an eye on them. I generally run them with a -3DB reduction of the low frequencies on my mixer channel EQs to help them produce a little more SPL before limiting. I have had to replace the woofers last year - so I think the processing is not all that it should be...

Al

Incognito
02-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I generally run them with a -3DB reduction of the low frequencies on my mixer channel EQs to help them produce a little more SPL before limiting.

Al

This is what the Yamaha is doing on the fly with it's active DSP & the reason why I wouldn't base anything by the contoured graph since it isn't constant throughout the speakers potential but this also holds true to the speakers none contoured graph (but exaggerated even more so with the EQ boost engaged) since the active DSP is always engaged.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
The point of the 15" driver is for application where you want bass without a sub...The speaker has an average of +5 dB from 55 Hz to 450 Hz & an average of 0 dB from 500 Hz to 15 KHz. It definitely does not need a subwoofer, it already has plenty of bass on it's own.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 07:55 PM
The speaker has an average of +5 dB from 55 Hz to 450 Hz & an average of 0 dB from 500 Hz to 15 KHz. It definitely does not need a subwoofer, it already has plenty of bass on it's own.

Before the built in DSP starts robbing that extension in favour of SPL potential as soon as turn it up.

Al Poulin
This is what the Yamaha is doing on the fly with it's active DSP & the reason why I wouldn't base anything by the contoured graph since it isn't constant throughout the speakers potential but this also holds true to the speakers none contoured graph (but exaggerated even more so with the EQ boost engaged) since the active DSP is always engaged.

The bass boost is constant up to levels I would consider pretty damn loud. One you get past this point, they do seem to dial the deeper lows back slightly, but as mentionned it really is far from being as noticeable as on my NXs. The processing seems to keep things sounding very smooth and musical at all levels I was able to reach in my listening room anyway. (my ears were ringing after the testing). Once into limiting, my dealer did tell me the boxes start sounding ''not as good''. The components in the DXR are not the same quality as what is in the DSR (all neos with 3'' VC), but seeing as they are at a lower price point and more geared towards the DJ market, I think this can be forgiven. I looked at the response of the DSR cabs today, and they seem to produce less low frequency than the DXR. (although they can reach higher SPLs while sounding better I imagine). Looks like two different products designed for different purpposes.

All I can say is, when used within their limits, the DXR15s are some really good sounding boxes that will get the party rocking and sound really good doing it. Sure, there are better performing pwoered speakers. But at their price point and with all of the included features (and the 49lb weight) - I think the DXR15s will make many mobile DJs quite happy.

Al

Incognito
No it's -10 from 0 dB not a 10dB variance between peek high dB & peak low dB. Ideally you want a speaker that has a completely flat 0 dB line from 20 Hz to 20 KHz. With the EQ on, that speaker has an average of +5 dB from 55 Hz to 450 Hz & an average of 0 dB from 500 Hz to 15 KHz.

you're correct.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
All I can say is, when used within their limits, the DXR15s are some really good sounding boxes that will get the party rocking and sound really good doing it. Sure, there are better performing pwoered speakers. But at their price point and with all of the included features (and the 49lb weight) - I think the DXR15s will make many mobile DJs quite happy.

Al
not disputed (smiley face EQ characteristics aside).

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Before the built in DSP starts robbing that extension in favour of SPL potential as soon as turn it up.

Partly correct BUT you really do need to turn them up pretty loud for the low frequency reduction to start taking place - from what I heard when testing them.

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM

With the contour on, I actually ended up boosting the high frequencies 3DBs on my mixer channels to balance things out. (the DXRs sounded a bit too bassy/dark before adding this top end) Although you might think it must have sounded like it had too much smiley EQ, I can honestly say they sounded like crazy loud high quality home stereo speakers. Sound quality was excellent with really surprising detail in the high frequencies and a very ear pleasing overall FULL sound. I just freakin' loved listening to them! I prefer their sound to that of the DSRs - which I liked but didn't quite love...

mufutau55
02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the reviews.. I was actually going after RCF ART312A or EV ELX115P LiveX, but now this Yamaha DRX12(15) is contradicting my future purchase..
How does this Yamaha DRX12(15) compare to those two speakers (RCF & EV) listed above? Thanks.

Mufutau

DJAkash
02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
from Al's post on these it seems like the RCF's could sound better and maybe similar loudness while retaining quality sound. So IMO if you buy a pair of RCF's, you save over 500 bucks and get a reliable speaker with great highs and mids, and most people dont use or know about this, but they have built in lighting connections, all four sides. clients love the look, and so do I :P.

Al Poulin
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the reviews.. I was actually going after RCF ART312A or EV ELX115P LiveX, but now this Yamaha DRX12(15) is contradicting my future purchase..
How does this Yamaha DRX12(15) compare to those two speakers (RCF & EV) listed above? Thanks.

Mufutau

The RCF 312As are very comparable to the DXR12s, but the DXRs have a much more versatile mixer section. Other than that, sound and output wise, both are very similar - so if you can get the 312As at the 450$ price and don't care that much about a mixer section, they are still the best value out there! My dealer actually prefers the 312A sound wise while I thought both were excellent and similar sounding. (they both have their particular sound - but I wouldn't say one was superior to the other) The DXR15s sound better than either of them though IMO - simply because of its extended low frequency output. It just sounds great for a single box solution. Activate the contour, add a bit of top end and they sound near perfect for playback music.

Al

mufutau55
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks Al. I think my best bet is still the RCF. I will concentrate on that.

Mufutau

The RCF 312As are very comparable to the DXR12s, but the DXRs have a much more versatile mixer section. Other than that, sound and output wise, both are very similar - so if you can get the 312As at the 450$ price and don't care that much about a mixer section, they are still the best value out there! My dealer actually prefers the 312A sound wise while I thought both were excellent and similar sounding. (they both have their particular sound - but I wouldn't say one was superior to the other) The DXR15s sound better than either of them though IMO - simply because of its extended low frequency output. It just sounds great for a single box solution. Activate the contour, add a bit of top end and they sound near perfect for playback music.

Al

Al Poulin
02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks Al. I think my best bet is still the RCF. I will concentrate on that.

Mufutau

At the price you guys in the US can get them - they are an unbelievable value for such a good performing speaker.

Al