PDA

View Full Version : Mashups: Recording them live or using software?

DJArmani
03-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I find it easier to make mashups live on my turntables then go into audacity and edit them. Does anyone do the same? I want to get into producing tracks, bootlegs, etc. But if I find it hard to even make something as simple as a mashup difficult imagine trying to produce. What are some things I can do to slowly start getting into producing? Like as far as edits here and there go, etc.

DJ-Veaux
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
I find it easier to make mashups live on my turntables then go into audacity and edit them. Does anyone do the same? I want to get into producing tracks, bootlegs, etc. But if I find it hard to even make something as simple as a mashup difficult imagine trying to produce. What are some things I can do to slowly start getting into producing? Like as far as edits here and there go, etc.

Mixmeiser is a pretty good tool for that, although I personally use fl studio cuz I'm cheap like that :teef:

DJArmani
03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Mixmeiser is a pretty good tool for that, although I personally use fl studio cuz I'm cheap like that :teef:

That's what I've heard, I'm currently trying to use Reason right now just to learn how to produce. This is so difficult.

GhOSt
03-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Try looking at beginner tutorial vids on youtube, I managed to make up a track using samples (by altering them with filters and synthesizers to my liking ofcourse)

thehadgi
03-05-2013, 06:16 AM
That's what I've heard, I'm currently trying to use Reason right now just to learn how to produce. This is so difficult.

Number one thing I'd keep in mind is that every single other person has gone through the same exact thing, including skrilly deadmowfive the chemical brothers etc etc.

That seemed to help me too. Just takes so much learning to be able to figure out HOW to do something, and then you have to work on WHAT you want to do; sometimes you think of something you want and by the time you figure where the damn knobs/buttons are, you forgot what you were thinking! I'm just mentioning this because when I started, I remember thinking after a couple months and learning the basics I would get really good. Well that doesn't happen. So the best thing to do is keep plugging away at tutorials and learn how to google and youtube specific things that will get you the info you need to solve the question in your mind.Break it down into pieces and build up from there; don't try to learn writing, mixing, arranging, synthesis, and the program all at once. Depending where you are stuck, try to figure out what you need to get to the next step.

If you don't know, post here and we can help :school:

But yeah, not sure if that's useful to you or not, but if it helps, everyone wants for a long while at the beginning (and still do occasionally) to bash their computer in with a sledgehammer for not being able to get what's in their head into the computer and out through the speakers. But no one tells you that upfront when you think about starting edits/remixes/originals. You just listen to the big guys and they make it seem easy. But I'll tell you the ability to take a great idea, and make a GREAT SONG from it, takes years and years of practice. The real work begins once you begin to master the technical side of things; then it's time to actually WRITE the damn music :P

You check out any stuff in the production forum? Looking back at this post I think it may be a little deep if you just want to learn how to do edits, but hey, keep it in mind once you get going in a DAW. You'll get the production bug :tup:

DJArmani
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
@thehadgi: I can't even click in notes I got the synthesizers worked out but that's all I can do. Trying to learn how to simply be able to drag sounds into a track and record it. And all these damn turorials are different. One guy teaches differently than the other, they all tell you differently like there's not one certain way which really sucks.

Mikeymitch
03-05-2013, 01:56 PM
It's like DJing you need to find what works for you and it will come ... One thing lots of people forget about a lot when starting out is proper eqing ...makes a huge difference

Rek_Aviles
03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Try a different DAW. I tried using Reason for a while and found it difficult. I tried Ableton Live at a friends house and had a totally difference experience right off the bat. I think Reason was designed for producers who are coming off of hardware for the first time, as it very similar to what you would find in a studio rig, in both layout and "wiring".

Live is a great program for those without any real background, IMO.

DJArmani
03-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Try a different DAW. I tried using Reason for a while and found it difficult. I tried Ableton Live at a friends house and had a totally difference experience right off the bat. I think Reason was designed for producers who are coming off of hardware for the first time, as it very similar to what you would find in a studio rig, in both layout and "wiring".

Live is a great program for those without any real background, IMO.

That's what most of the tutorials say. I've heard cubase and pro tools are pretty user friendly so I'm trying the trials on those.