PDA

View Full Version : Dance music for age 40

Matt Ush
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
The host wants just dance music for 4 hours for 40 year olds getting drunk. It is a birthday party for his wife. While I do have plenty of music to match and have done these parties before, I wanted input on your best songs to play for this age group to make it a fun night.

DJ Scotch
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Old school is the way to go brother!

Murder she wrote,
Big up,
Head high,
coca cola shape,
No Games
I'm so special
Punny Printer
Limb by limb
Boggling Queen
A calzon Quitao
Let me love you
Just gimme the light,
Informer
Ice Ice baby

iammongo
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
A party for 40 year olds is actually one of the easiest parties you could Dj for. Most of them have kids so they will recognize all the top 40 radio hits out there.
You can also dip into a few disco tracks, some 80's and definately alot of 90's.

Michael jackson, Abba, Mariah Carey, commodores, Madonna, LMfao, New edition, Cameo, The Jets, Snap, Chris Brown, Timbaland, etc etc etc......endless possibilities.

Sween
02-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Ask them what they think they want.

Start with that.

Feel out the crowd and adjust accordingly.

I'm 36... playing for ages 30-50 are the easiest. Under 30 will want more Top 40... Over 50 will want more oldies... In between take your pick! My guess is 80's, 90's, and some current Top 40.

DJ Scotch
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
A party for 40 year olds is actually one of the easiest parties you could Dj for. Most of them have kids so they will recognize all the top 40 radio hits out there.
You can also dip into a few disco tracks, some 80's and definately alot of 90's.

Michael jackson, Abba, Mariah Carey, commodores, Madonna, LMfao, New edition, Cameo, The Jets, Snap, Chris Brown, Timbaland, etc etc etc......endless possibilities.

Right on the money Top 40 would do it as kids take 1st priority :)

DJMC
02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not really familiar with that part of the globe ==

But I'll base my suggestions on what Kellie Ripa likes (she's 40 years old, from New Jersey).

She likes "old school disco, 80's music, and clean Top 40 music that her kids like"

FYI -- if I was DJing on the Jersey Shore --- I'd rather have a bunch like her than a bunch of Snookies.

Dix
02-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Ask them what they think they want.

Start with that.

See my signature.....

I agree with 80's & 90's however, what 80's & 90's?? Dance music?? Willie & Merle were in the 80's.. So was Micky Gilley & Johnny Lee .... How about a little 2 step dancing.
You could also play a little rap like; C. Coke, La Rock or G. Grandmaster Caz.
You could alos play some of the hip Hop & Pop artists listed in the posts above but, between these genre's there is a huge stretch.
In short, we could guess all day here & give all sorts of posts & opinions but until you know what genre or at least some idea of the type of music they want to dance & get drunk too.... all we can do is give various opinions.

Just because its what we are used to playing doesn't mean that its what they like. Lots of different music for lots of folks. Folks with cowboy hats & ones with tattoo's & hoop rings from head to toe...

Again, ask the client... once you have a genre, we can more than likely provide some artist & specific tracks.

Hope this helps... good luck :)

barryb201
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
try to include some line dance music. Depending on the genre electric slide,coton eye joe...etc

Stirred
02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Depends on the dempographics! lol...

Andrew B
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
What kind of dance music? Kind of a broad term.

Im 37, and wouldn't want any of the suggested music played at my birthday party. Especially if I asked for dance music.

Ask your client to be more specific regarding genre and era.

BuddyUK
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi Ho Silver lining
anything by Madness
Hey Jude

Unknown DJ
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Current top 40 and anything that was in the top 40 when they were in high school would be a great start.

fueledbymusic
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Well as a fourty one year old. And my brothers at 39 and 43. The music we have a blast to listen to is anything (that was popular) from the 80's and nineties. Top 40 of 80s and 90's, BUT for me as a fourty one year old. I LOVE the house music, yesterdays and todays.

pumpitdj
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm 39 , and My fav is top 40 / House Music . But everyone is different , If you have a Website , email your client and have them send out a email to the guest directing them to a request music page on your Website . Other then that , feel the crowd you will get an idea on what type of music they like usually with the first 10 mins .

bumpyjonas
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
@Matt Ush Hey try this website as a reference guide I have used in the past.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/

djmunster
02-24-2012, 05:12 PM
i see your from nj , dont forget some freestyle

Galager
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Murder she wrote,
Big up,
Head high,
coca cola shape,
No Games
I'm so special
Punny Printer
Limb by limb
Boggling Queen
A calzon Quitao
Let me love you
Just gimme the light,
Informer
Ice Ice baby
I actually AM in that age range and I NEVER heard any of those songs growing up except Ice Ice Baby. I guess it really depends on WHERE you grow up as well. In central California we listened to top 40 meaning Phil Collins, Alphaville, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, etc. Some of the songs from that era that are still requested are What Is Love by Haddaway, Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top, Forever Young by Alphaville, etc. I have a hunch that this music would not go over well in NYC or Nashville. It's a cultural thing. It's best to ask the client what they listen to and base you mix on that. Don't try to guess if you can avoid it.

Lazerick
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm 44, I do not like top40 (well todays top40), strictly old school will not work either, ask your client, get a list of their favs and model a play list with that, at 40 you tend to be set in your music taste and that taste will either be broad (like almost everything) or narrow (stuck in top40)

jazzyj
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
90's urban baby!!! Lemme lick you up n down til you say stop!!!!!!!! Lemme play witchya body baby make u real hawt!!!!!

DJ Scotch
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
I actually AM in that age range and I NEVER heard any of those songs growing up except Ice Ice Baby. I guess it really depends on WHERE you grow up as well. In central California we listened to top 40 meaning Phil Collins, Alphaville, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, etc. Some of the songs from that era that are still requested are What Is Love by Haddaway, Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top, Forever Young by Alphaville, etc. I have a hunch that this music would not go over well in NYC or Nashville. It's a cultural thing. It's best to ask the client what they listen to and base you mix on that. Don't try to guess if you can avoid it.

I agree but please tell you are joking when you said you never heard "Murder she wrote"

DJMikeD.
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I just played a 40th bday party and I'm 41 myself. But my suggestion is mix it up!!! You'd be suprised at what 40 year olds like. I played everything from Pitbull, to Tone Loc, to Enrique Iglesias, to Rob Base, hell I even went on an old school stint by request and played things like Whodini and Egyptian Lover. LOL Cater to the women!!! When the moms dance, everybody dances!!!

shawno
02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
i see your from nj , dont forget some freestyle

Anyone who graduated HS from mid 80s - 90 likes freestyle. You can't go wrong with these artists:

Debbie Deb
Lil Suzy
Cynthia
Safire (or anything off the Cutting Records label)
Stevie B
Cover Girls
Nocera
Spanish Fly
Freestyle
Connie

Sween
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Anyone who graduated HS from mid 80s - 90 likes freestyle. You can't go wrong with these artists:

Debbie Deb
Lil Suzy
Cynthia
Stevie B
Cover Girls
Nocera
Spanish Fly
Freestyle
Connie

One or two yes... but don't overdose on freestyle. There's a reason why you don't hear it much anymore. Mix it up is good advice.

peterwo2e
03-03-2012, 06:56 AM
old folks like me enjoy music that they know and sang to back in the days, kinda brinks back your youth. unlike teenagers these days they want to hear popular new tracks even if they don't like it they hear it on the radio and that makes them cool. but old school is different it brings back your wild and young side my advice! request a playlist and start from there good luck.

Dix
03-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Debbie Deb
Lil Suzy
Cynthia
Stevie B
Cover Girls
Nocera
Spanish Fly
Freestyle
Connie

Dont take this the wrong way because again, different music for different people, which makes my point about "ask the client".....
I graduated in 1977. From 1987 - 1993, I played in the hottest night club in northeast La. We (seriously) packed people from 21 - 65 years old in that place with lines formed outside the door. Of the list above, I don't recognize any of the names except Stevie B.

Again, its different music for different people. Dont assume... KNOW!

djmunster
03-03-2012, 10:13 AM
La and NJ are 2 different beasts

Dix
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
La and NJ are 2 different beasts

That is also my point....

downboy2005
03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
These tracks are mostly island/reggae tracks except for Ice Ice Baby and Informer (Snow was a white guy that sounded Jamaican). Anyway, I would stick to old school, Gap Band, Sugar Hill Gang, Tone Loc, Beastie Boys and so on. I do ALOT of 40th birthday parties and this is the standard in my experience. However, like others stated before, ask the client and base your playlist from their suggestions.

downboy2005

Murder she wrote,
Big up,
Head high,
coca cola shape,
No Games
I'm so special
Punny Printer
Limb by limb
Boggling Queen
A calzon Quitao
Let me love you
Just gimme the light,
Informer
Ice Ice baby

deejaygo
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I would definitely play some La Bouche and Ace of Base. It's always worked for me!

KLH
03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
The host wants just dance music for 4 hours for 40 year olds getting drunk. It is a birthday party for his wife.
I recommend playing mostly CURRENT tunes with the occasional throwback (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Journey, B52s, Michael Jackson, etc.) every 5-8 tracks or so.

EDIT: Stand back if you play Beastie Boys' Paul Revere...

Most ladies like current songs more than stuff from 20 years ago... especially when the drinks kick in.

-KLH