PDA

View Full Version : Scratching tips (controller)

drop1
03-04-2013, 11:36 AM
This is where I am now and is very typical of the style of scratching I would do in a set. I'm no tableist but I feel that scratching can add a nice element to certain styles of edm.

https://soundcloud.com/drop1/scratching

Now i'm not new to scratching but it has been about 10 years and before I was on vinyl. This is the result of about 3 days of practice on a ddj sx controller. Any tips or pointers from you guys? I'd def like to improve and work more of this into my sets.

Defiance
03-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Make a longer demo ;)

I originally started on vinyl long ago, but wasn't into scratching. Once in a while now I play on vinyl (I almost always am on my NS6 now) but I find its a completely different 'touch' it takes to scratch on vinyl compared to the non moving platters. Not in a bad way, just different.

For instance, I use nearly all 360 degrees of the NS6's platter to do different style scratches, (outside, inside, top and bottom of the platter), while someone on moving platters traditionally uses the outside/inside which is also dependent on which deck they are using.

drop1
03-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I left it short because thats how I drop it in my sets. Just little clips here and there. Thanks for the response.

Defiance
03-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Your style of scratching is similar to mine, I kind of use scratching on top of EDM tracks in Top 40 gigs to make it sound 'less EDM' ironically I find it way harder to scratch at 'hip-hop' bpm on my NS6. People find it pretty badass to hear scratching in these types of gigs.

drop1
03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I do like to loop sections of hip hop (well used to) without lyrics and scratch over them . I don't play that kind of music at all but I do listen to a little . I find that type of scratching a lot more soulful.