PDA

View Full Version : Do you post your Package Pricing on your Website

pumpitdj
02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking about putting up pricing on my Website , I know what most of the dj's charge in the area , and I'm about the same price so should I post it ?

DYM
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Nope :)

LiteTrix
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I list all of my packages but I don't give prices. I do this because then it forces them to give me a call and I can talk to them and get to know them a little better before I give out prices. The only problem with this is you can get a lot of price shoppers. It has it advantages and disadvantage. Overall I think it's better to leave your prices off your website.

Something other people do is, they list their packages and a starting price for each package.

EXAMPLE:

Package 1- Starts at $400
Package 2- Starts at $600
package 3- Starts at $800

DJ Scotch
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I prefer not to because my set up will bring all the customers to me. I prefer to put all my gig logs and when I get the call I schedule a f2f meeting and then show them videos of different packages which we shot in my partner's basement. that way client know what exactly they are getting.

DJMC
02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I like to keep 'em guessing.

No prices are posted on my web site. That is because I use "Day Of Week" pricing model -- where Mondays are 40% cheaper than Saturdays.

Once they call me, I can give them an exact quote for their date....

DJ EZBeats
02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I actually do have my pricing on my website. I just started doing it. I feel like that's ALWAYS the first questions a potential client asks. I feel having the prices on my website means that I wont get the price shoppers emailing or calling for a price and that gasp for air when my price is higher than the cheapo DJs that offer $100 for an entire event. I know that they are actually interested in my services if they contact me, instead of just shopping for a price.

Dix
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
No, I want them to call me & ask, that way I have a chance to be personal & "talk them into going with me" before they go to the next site.

DJ Porter
02-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Yup...

http://www.portervenn.com/rates--packages.html

Sween
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
NO. Don't do it.

Synaxis
02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
No, you not SELLING an item, you are providing a service.

Do architects, contractors, plumbers, electricians post prices on their websites?

You want your clients to call you, and get a quote from you.

If you post it on your website, they won't even bother to call, and just go with the cheaper DJ, even though you might have 10x more to offer for $100 more...

I love music
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM
after reading this thread i m serioulsy thinking of getting rid of the prices from the website.
Not that i have all the pricing there. Just two basic packages. A basic/economy one and a "platinum" one.

bestncdjs
02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I second "No"

Every wedding is "made to order"

Like buying a car.... you can't call up the dealership and ask "how much is a car?" He'll ask you do you want new or used... leather or cloth... chrome wheels or factory....

you get the idea...

Mike D
02-26-2012, 08:19 PM
I started with mine on, and it's a catch 22 to some degree. If you post prices, people can undercut you without you ever getting the chance to "sell" your services. Plus, if you're too low, some people will assume you suck. if you're too high, others will think you're over priced. Again, without ever getting the chance to sell why you charge what you charge.

I took mine off and instantly noticed an uptick in emails and calls. Would never put them back on my webpage again.

Sween
02-27-2012, 08:02 AM
I have one line on my website regarding price to try to reel in price shoppers... "Most weddings start at under $1000."

So they can say, oh that's not too bad (since the average price around here is $800-1500)... but I also don't make any promises. And the "starting" price does not include upgrades such as lighting.

DJStevieRay
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Do architects, contractors, plumbers, electricians post prices on their websites?

As a matter of fact many do. Anyway as far as the discusion, I have an entire rates page (http://www.stevierayentertainment.com/rates/), that has my rates, along with what is provided for 2 years. It has worked out well for me, no price shoppers, and people that want me, call me and book. It saves much of my valued time.

Sween
02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
As a matter of fact many do. Anyway as far as the discusion, I have an entire rates page (http://www.stevierayentertainment.com/rates/), that has my rates, along with what is provided for 2 years. It has worked out well for me, no price shoppers, and people that want me, call me and book. It saves much of my valued time.

As an MPE Engineering consultant for my day job, I've yet to see an Architect, Contractor, Plumber, Electrician, or Engineer list prices on their website...

Just sayin...

The reason is the price is not cut and dry...

I love music
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
OK, i m getting rid of all prices/packages from the site.

if people dont call to ask for a price, how will they know what makes us different from the rest of the craiglist "dj's".

a price doesnt mean anything. and like someone said above, if they see a price, they move on to the next site (and the cheaper one).
Keep them guessing and interested

drzinc
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
No, I quote a price after I get more details and or a meeting.

Djmike209
02-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I do for Base wedding and party packages. It seams to weed out a lot of the "how much for..." I figured I would try it out 2 years ago. I havent seen a drop in event. But a drop in random calls.

at the bottom of the page I have the * price may very..

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I have a rates section that has the starting pricing for most events but no other pricing. I really would rather them call me plus I dont want my competitors looking at my pricing and info

Ampedproductions
03-03-2012, 09:38 AM
No we dont put out rates out there. We do put prices for uplights and some of the extras.

We dont package peoples weddings. We customize to there event. Some people need a small system on a beach, and then the bigger system back in the hall. Others want cocktail music, while others want us to show up for the first dance.

We also have a minimum price we have set. We dont go below that. (for the most part)

When we quote people a price we take our hourly rate and calculate it out then add $20. Confuses the other dj's if they are calling trying to figure out how much we charge. Haha

Synaxis
03-03-2012, 10:40 AM
When we quote people a price we take our hourly rate and calculate it out then add $20. Confuses the other dj's if they are calling trying to figure out how much we charge. Haha

Can you explain this in a little more detail please. Because your technique is working, lol.

Ampedproductions
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I dont charge for the "behind the scenes" stuff. I charge a per hour rate that I am there and make it high enough to cover the behind the scenes stuff.

So say they want us from 7-1. Thats 6 hours. Now say my rate is 170/hour. (Our rates not that high...lol) 170x6 is $1020. Then we toss $20 on top of that. So the quote would be $1040. So if someone was just trying to figure out my rates they would think its now 173.33... 5 hours would be quoted at $870 at 174/hr.

Its weird and a little over the top but i take that $20 and put it into a savings account. Works for us. Haha

http://www.ampedproductions.ca/

RodneyL
03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I list my hourly rates plainly on my website. I am at the the same price, if not cheaper, than most other real DJ's in this area. But if I lost a client to a guy with Radioshack speakers because they only charge $50 and hour... well, I didn't want that client anyway.

Before I posted my prices, I may have fielded more calls and emails about pricing. But I never had much followup, because, like mentioned before, these people only wanted to price shop.

I have actually had clients call me for a consultation on their event because they were happy to see my pricing was available up front. Some people don't like a salesmen or experiencing the hard sell... that's just not my personality anyway.

carblekin
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM
I want to make things as easy as possible for people, so I do post prices on my website. When I designed my system, I designed it to be compact and clean. What I have is what they get. Makes things simple, and seems to be working well so far.

jazzyj
03-16-2012, 07:07 AM
I do. I've tried both - no pricing and pricing.

So I came to a compromise. They don't get to see the pricing up front. But they put in all their contact info and what they're looking for (DJIntelligence) and they hit submit and they get a quote. But even if they "walk away" - I have their contact info now, and I always followup within an hour or two of the quote (sooner if I can).

Granted they could put in all fake info, and I wouldn't have nada, but so far that hasn't happened.

Kingbob182
05-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Im putting my website together now. It's in very early stages but in my experience. If I'm looking to buy something online. I'll google it, ctrl+click about 10 pages that look like what I want. And if they don't have the info I'm looking for (their price) I'll generally check out the others first before making a call to someone else.
People are lazy and don't want to find out this stuff for themelves.
I'm making my site with a list of packages with base prices to start off with. These are prices without most of the optional extras. like the first one is $375 for 4 hours with no lights. just 2 15" speakers and a 12" sub.
Then I let them build their own package and suggest additions to it. The price will go up but at this stage I've already sold them.
Of course my website isn't up yet but in face-to-face meetings, this is how I've been selling my service.
hook them with a low price and them tell them "Everyone has these few lights" and tell them that the fog machine will make the whole lighting system look twice as good for just $30 extra.
before they know it they're spend $650 and we're already talking about what time I'm going to get there and set up.

lastcat
05-03-2012, 03:13 AM
I list my hourly rates plainly on my website. I am at the the same price, if not cheaper, than most other real DJ's in this area. But if I lost a client to a guy with Radioshack speakers because they only charge $50 and hour... well, I didn't want that client anyway.

Before I posted my prices, I may have fielded more calls and emails about pricing. But I never had much followup, because, like mentioned before, these people only wanted to price shop.

I have actually had clients call me for a consultation on their event because they were happy to see my pricing was available up front. Some people don't like a salesmen or experiencing the hard sell... that's just not my personality anyway.

:bing:

Exactly! Of the traffic my site receives, 80% view my Pricing Page, which is average for my area. Emails will get things going. Then a phone call. Polite, articulate, and being honest is key, by tailoring their Event.

LC

si!
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I buy most products and services on-line these days --- and if a website doesn't have a price, I'll move on to one that does. My main career is web-development; more and more we're finding that the best way to lose a visitor on your website is to not have the necessary information; including pricing. Good information, photos, video and honest pricing are the key to a successful website.

I'm new to the mobile DJ game, but I'm applying the same principle here; I'm developing a full on-line booking system which prices and configures all the options in real-time. My theory is that I will weed out the lowballers, and generate more legitimate leads.

The goal is arm the customer with information, then if they want to proceed, they can either do it online or the traditional way; over the phone.

I might be completely wrong with this, but I'm willing to give it a go :)

jazzyj
05-03-2012, 03:06 PM
We have decided to go the entire opposite direction now. We're adding event planning to our services with DJing.

We have so many options and "configurations" - we feel that the best way to create a personalized cost-efficient price for each and every client is to take in all their info, and do just that - create a personalized quote for them. Hopefully it pans out.