PDA

View Full Version : Canadian DJ Laws

Primlock
03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Hello :) I'm an aspiring new DJ, I am just wondering from peoples experience and knowledge what laws to be concerned about when DJing? Licensing and copyright laws are the first that come to mind.

contra
03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Ummm none that I can think of lol. Nobody I know of follows any code of conduct. Just show up with your shit and get down.

Tektonix
03-02-2013, 06:08 PM
There are none that i can think of that specifically apply to DJ's, Theres the obvious copyright stuff, noise violations ect.... Common sense stuff. Just be co-operative with the police and no harm done, Its whoever is running the venue/events problem most of the time. :) Relax and just go for it man

DougMore
03-03-2013, 02:35 AM
The only authority I know of is SOCAN (http://www.socan.ca/). It applies more to a venue or a radio station though. Check your bylaws for more info on public performance. Usually you're fine in public.

avshop.ca
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Socan is for venues. For DJs there is the AVLA to license your music in Canada. Check out the CPDJA (you can tell them AVShop.ca sent you), their membership has an option for AVLA licenses

Rafi Michael
03-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Socan is for venues. For DJs there is the AVLA to license your music in Canada. Check out the CPDJA (you can tell them AVShop.ca sent you), their membership has an option for AVLA licenses

Its a great tip for a new DJ member here... Thank You!!

DougMore
03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of AVLA. Good info to know :)

Prince_George
04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm Canadian also (Montreal Represent!)

The Canadian government just passed the user generated content act, and now a as long as your mixing music but its not for profit you won't get in any trouble. If your going to want to make money off of your mix then your going to have to ask the copyright holder.

If your from Canada though, and wanna rep your country my boy just showed me thiswww.indiloop.com and hooked me up with the beta