PDA

View Full Version : SKB Cases and how lite they are.

Ntertainment
03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I just bought an SKB Capsole case. It's tiny, I only have a mixer and a light bar in it. It's tiny and weighs 9lbs. Wow. I have always used odyssey cases but i think i'll get another one. I currently use 6 u on top and 4 u on the bottom there case that is similar in size is 20 lbs lighter than my current case. Does anyone use SKB cases? I like how they are all black too.

The only thing i don't like about them is they are missing a cord hole on each side, I think i'll drill one into them. I don't like having the back panel off so i can have cords coming in. It just looks trashy.

I will say that i've used odyssey cases for a long time and have never had gear in one that had the top on hurt in any way. They are solid, I've dropped a few of them and had them hit and dent corners too.

djscrizzle
03-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Why not find a rack mount power strip and use that instead of drilling a hole in the case? Skip the Furmans and similar, since all you really need is a no-frills way to split up the power.

Ntertainment
03-02-2013, 01:00 AM
I want a neat way to slip cables into the case once i get them in i'm not concerned about keeping them neat that's what cases are for. or having enough power strips. I use a 12 outlet power strip, that is awesome, I've bought like 6 of them because they have more plugs than i need. Love them.

fatcatdj
03-03-2013, 04:34 AM
SKB Cases and how lite they are.

I just bought an SKB Capsole case. It's tiny, I only have a mixer and a light bar in it. It's tiny and weighs 9lbs. Wow. I have always used odyssey cases but i think i'll get another one. I currently use 6 u on top and 4 u on the bottom there case that is similar in size is 20 lbs lighter than my current case. Does anyone use SKB cases? I like how they are all black too.

The only thing i don't like about them is they are missing a cord whole on each side, I think i'll drill one into them. I don't like having the back panel off so i can have cords coming in. It just looks trashy.

I will say that i've used odyssey cases for a long time and have never had gear in one that had the top on hurt in any way. They are solid, I've dropped a few of them and had them hit and dent corners too.

SKB's have a limited lifetime warrantee. Drilling a "whole" on it will void the warranty.
Good choice though, I have a 4 Space SKB rack with airport luggage handles and its
way lighter than a plywood flightcase! :)

DJMC
03-03-2013, 11:00 AM
I use all SKB cases. Although the "DJ Shuttle" (model 84, I believe) is super light weight, my "Mini Gig Rig" is quite heavy when fully loaded (nearly 80 pounds with equipment), although I still love it....

Ntertainment
03-04-2013, 12:51 AM
SKB's have a limited lifetime warrantee. Drilling a "whole" on it will void the warranty.
Good choice though, I have a 4 Space SKB rack with airport luggage handles and its
way lighter than a plywood flightcase! :)

Yeah I might not though too, how do others get the cables into their cases. Thanks for catching my spelling mistake.

fatcatdj
03-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Unfortunately you'll have to open the rear end and have the cables exposed, however using black plastic "looms"
help make it look better, which it will. Putting the RCA or XLR cables thru one loom and splitting it once it hits the floor will look
good. Looks a lot better than some of these cheap screws who have cables spluttering all over the place. Good luck

ReelDiel
03-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I had a the cheap dj 19" rack mount model. My big complaint was it has no rubber feet. SO that thing will slide all over the place I ended up adding rubber feet and drilled a hole in the side. THe other thing is you can not tape anything down to that plastic so wire management can be a PIA. I loved the light weight, but ended up going back to my maratathon plywood case. I think it looks better.

RodneyL
03-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I use the SKB 1SKB-R104 as my main case. It houses a DJ mixer, dual cd decks, my receiver for wireless mic, a rack mount power strip, and a slid out tray in the front for the controller.

It is a little heavy, but I love the hard lid and the side panels for wiring. I also add a swivel up laptop shelf so I can mount my laptop above it.

robare99
03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I use ATA cases for everything. Heavier but more rugged. They do get bumped around etc. but they are just more solid.

WingMan
03-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Using SKB for both of my racks. 10 over 4 for mixer, lights, cdj. Rolling 6 for amps, x-over. Great cases! My facade covers the cases so no worries about leaving the back panel off. Maintains good airflow as well to keep the amps cool!

robare99
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Using SKB for both of my racks. 10 over 4 for mixer, lights, cdj. Rolling 6 for amps, x-over. Great cases! My facade covers the cases so no worries about leaving the back panel off. Maintains good airflow as well to keep the amps cool!

True. I wouldn't think of running with the back panel off. Amps are designed with directional airflow.