PDA

View Full Version : Behringer B815 vs B-52 Matrix

DJ T.O.
02-23-2012, 03:20 AM
I really don't need top of the line PA speakers. I currently own a B-52 Matrix 1000v2. I like the amount of sound I get for the price. I just hate lugging it around when I do play at an event where I need to bring my own PA. I am looking into the Behringer B815 NEO powered speakers. I was wondering if anyone has ever used them before or knows anything about them. I like them because they are lighter than a B-52 and put out 800 Watts RMS. The B-52 puts out 700 watts, but I don't know if thats RMS or not. I really don't know a whole lot about speakers, but I'm assuming one Behringer B815 would be louder than the B-52 Matrix 1000v2 system. Does anyone have any other suggestions about PAs I could get that would give me the same output as 2 B-52 Matrix 1000v2 systems?

windspeed36
02-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Wattage is purely the measure of electricity that the speaker uses/requires. SPL is what you compare speaker output with along with a few other things such as freq response for a little less than the cost of a pair of neo's you can pick up a pair of RCF ARt312A's. They don't have much bass response under 80hz however they kick the shit out of Behringer in terms of quality.

fueledbymusic
02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Behringers are talked alot of sht about in this site. I never heard them though. So I cannot say anything. BUT however, at my church, a behringer set up they were using had a problem one time before, which caused them to not be able to use them for the day. I think it was static or humming. But seems like they're using them as of now. (I guess they fixed the bad connection or something).

I been hearing so much about the RCFs. I think you should go to a local store and try the behringers and RCFs out to be sure

DJMC
02-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Two of my associates use the Matrix system and swear by it!

Given a choice between B-52 and Behringer --- go with the US company. B-52 does its final assembly in Los Angeles CA. (So when you buy B-52 you're supporting US jobs)

DJ T.O.
02-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Don't get my wrong, I do like the sound of the B-52. I just hate moving it anywhere so I want something that is powered or just lighter in general. I would be willing to go with passive speakers and an amp, but I don't know anything about them. I haven't seen RCFs carried by anyone around here so I can't really do a comparison. My choices are really limited to what Guitar Center has to offer.

akillj
02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Don't get my wrong, I do like the sound of the B-52. I just hate moving it anywhere so I want something that is powered or just lighter in general. I would be willing to go with passive speakers and an amp, but I don't know anything about them. I haven't seen RCFs carried by anyone around here so I can't really do a comparison. My choices are really limited to what Guitar Center has to offer.

I haven't heard anything from Behringer so I don't wanna say anything about them, but I can tell you a pair of RCF Art 312A's are an amazing pair of speakers. And from what i've heard on these forums, way better quality then Behringer.

akillj
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Also, if your store does it, i'm pretty sure you can ask them to order you the set of speakers you want and purchase them when they arrive to the store. (I'm not too sure if all music stores do this, but mine did it for me for a few pieces of equipment)

DJ T.O.
02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
It really seems like there isn't a reasonably priced single powered speaker option that stands up to one B-52 Matrix 1000v2. I'm looking for a single powered speaker that has a similar output to the B-52. I have a hard time believing that the RCF would be as loud as the Behringer B815. I don't really need studio quality sound either, just really loud with decent sound quality (obviously I don't want them to sound like shit). I'd even be willing to go with passive speakers. Just not sure what to look for.

Unknown DJ
02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Dude start hitting the gym. A pair of speakers is not going to match the matrix bass wise because it has a dedicated sub.

Alex Murphy
02-24-2012, 06:21 AM
I have used these behringers in the past. They don't go loud and will distort if you push them. Then I did notice some air leaks at the back that would make the cabinet sound like a wet fart. Sound quality wasn't great either, and the wattage claim is ludicrous: I know what real power feels like and these don't push anything near 800 watts, more like 100.

In your shoes I'd go B52 with no hesitation...

ampnation
02-24-2012, 03:36 PM
I just sold a B52 Matrix 1000 v2 not because of your issues but because I have bigger, more powerful options at my disposal and it just wasn't getting used. However, you simply are not going to find a system without a sub that will give you the kind of full range and perceived loudness for anywhere near that price.

If you spend quite a bit more, you can put together a system that weighs less and has more output and sounds better. Example KW181 sub -- actually might weight about the same as the B52 sub, but the B52 is usually transported with the tops strapped onto the top of the sub -- along with a pair of K10's or K12's. My k10's weigh in at around 42 lbs IIRC. So with this system, each piece is gonna weigh less but the overall weight is probably slightly more. It is just a little easier on the back assuming you're having to lift the B52.

Simply put, you'll have significant drop off without using a sub and even moderately loud small, lightweight subs are expensive, and ultimately, a compromise. You just can't get around the physics if you want low frequencies.

Now if you don't really need all that bass extension, and you're covering the same size crowd or less (vs. the B52) a pair of K12's might work great for you. Putting them in DEEP mode will give your music a nice full range sound but without the true sub frequencies one would want for a dance club type of experience. They will also limit faster in DEEP mode so the size crowd they will be good for will decrease.

I have a gig I'm waiting to hear back on for this summer for seniors aged 70's and 80's mostly, well under 100 attendees and I intend on taking just my K10's plus backup. The key here is, you need to consider your application and loudness isn't the only factor you need to consider.

DJ T.O.
02-28-2012, 07:36 AM
I figured that the Behringers seemed a little too good to be true. Are there any reasonably priced powered speakers that anyone would recommend other than RCF's (preferably something that guitar center would carry in store their store because I do have store credit from their pro coverage) that I could later pair with a powered sub if I needed to? I still would rather have a lighter option than the B-52. Its not that I can't move the B-52 by myself, I just hate doing it.

I understand that quality sound systems cost a lot of money. I just can't justify spending a ton of money since I don't usually have to bring sound to places I play at. I'm just looking for more bang for my buck and something that is easy to carry around, especially if I'm not playing for a large amount of people. If I am playing for a larger group of people that requires a sub, I have no problem moving a sub. Its just for the times where I'm not playing in front of a lot of people where powered speakers would be nice.

windspeed36
02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Alternatives to the 312 - QSC K12 or JBL PRX612, also have a look at Al's review of the new Yamaha cabs

ampnation
02-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Are there any reasonably priced powered speakers that anyone would recommend other than RCF's (preferably something that guitar center would carry in store their store because I do have store credit from their pro coverage) that I could later pair with a powered sub if I needed to? I still would rather have a lighter option than the B-52. Its not that I can't move the B-52 by myself, I just hate doing it.

...I'm just looking for more bang for my buck and something that is easy to carry around, especially if I'm not playing for a large amount of people. If I am playing for a larger group of people that requires a sub, I have no problem moving a sub. Its just for the times where I'm not playing in front of a lot of people where powered speakers would be nice.

you simply are not going to find a system without a sub that will give you the kind of full range and perceived loudness for anywhere near that price.

Using them without subs, you definitely don't want the RCF IMO. If you can spend 2x what the Matrix costs, you can find a few very good options. If not, you're looking at very mediocre fare.

Powered cabs that cost per cab, about what the entire B52 costs are the new Yamaha DXR115. Al Poulin recently tried these out and did a write up of his experience here...
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2261-Go-to-hear-the-the-NEW-YAMAHA-DXR-powered-speakers-today!

They cost a little more than a K12 or PRX615M but for your application I think they're more appropriate and the cost isn't that much higher. The PRX615M is another decent option.

But as I pointed out, you won't get near the bass extension from these as the B52 and you wouldn't even if the specs show you would because you can't put them on the floor which is where subs need to be without bringing the tops down too where they shouldn't be. So if you're willing to give up a lot of bass and a bit of SPL, these 15" tops might be for you.

For even more $$ the KW152 would be excellent but I doubt that's where you're headed.

If there's no way you're gonna spend $1600ish like you would for the DXR I'm not sure what to tell you. B52 is the low cost option. Lightweight and acceptable output (sound quality, spl, range) is gonna cost more when you go to a pair of full range without subs.

One thing to note... because the RCF ART312A are such a value, if and only if you were going to get a sub too and bring it along at all but the least demanding gig (like the seniors event I'm looking to score) you could do that for about the same money as a pair of DXR115 tops. zzounds has the PRX618S (blemished) for under $800. This is not the XLF version which is often praised here, so it doesn't go as deep, but compared to a pair of 15's without a sub, a pair of RCF's with the PRX will be a huge step up for about the same money. And it weighs 70 lbs.