PDA

View Full Version : New Pioneer Traktor Certified Mixer: DJM-850

TrueWind
02-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Apparently Pioneer has released a NEW MIXER: The DJM-850. It's Traktor Scratch Certified.

http://pioneerdj.com/index_f.html#/en/products/djm850/more

Discuss.

CheekyDelinquent
02-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah just saw that on their facebook feed.

Curious as to the price...1500?

deejayjsin
02-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Is this the reason for the price drop on the DJM-T1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Era 7
02-23-2012, 03:51 AM
this kinda adresses my feeling about pioneer mixers. on the one hand there is the DJM-700 which is somewhat afforable but also kinda meh for its price and then there is the DJM-900 which i really like but is just out of my price range. now lets see where they put the pricetag :)

Liam
02-23-2012, 04:40 AM
I was pretty much looking forward to what this was going to be over the 700/800 but to be honest this has dissapointed me and i am a big Pio fanboy.

It's basically just a revised version of the 800. As said before why is it in this price range? There is now a massive gap laying where people would have bought the 700.

I can't help but think they are just using the 800's popularity against the price.

The Blackest
02-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Meh. Still want the DJM900.

fullenglishpint
02-23-2012, 06:39 AM
I'll just repeat what I said on DJTT.

What exactly does this offer that's better than buying a second hand 800 for half the price and a TSP bundle? Especially since most people who want to use Traktor Scratch functionality will more than likely already have an audio interface.

Also, I can see why they put the USB port on the faceplate but it makes it very untidy if you're keeping the USB plugged in all the time. No ProDJ link either, nor digital inputs.

I really don't get who this is aimed at, if it's for straight CDJ use with 850s then there's no need for the sound card so it's just the slightly improved FX that raise it above the 800. If it's for Traktor use with CDJ timecode then working with NI to implement advanced HID would have made a lot of sense. After all, using CDJs for timecode renders all looping (and, to some extent, cueing) functions useless.

And also what I said on the DDJT article

Pioneer dev team conversation:

“Guys, I’ve just found a box of 3 million DJM-800 faceplates out the back, what the hell are we going to do with them?”

“Uh… I’ve got it! we’ll paint them white, stick an Audio 8 interface in there and call it a whole new product!”

“You, sir, are a genius. Pub?”

brichi
02-23-2012, 07:12 AM
hahahaha, funny but if you look, the faceplate is different :)

fullenglishpint
02-23-2012, 07:36 AM
hahahaha, funny but if you look, the faceplate is different :)

Only barely. Probably done in 5 minutes with a drill/router :lol:

Liam
02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Only barely. Probably done in 5 minutes with a drill/router :lol:

That's what i was thinking. I think i have finally lost interest in Pioneer mixers and i am a big Pioneer fanboy!

LeeJay
02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Acording to decks.co.uk the price is £ 1,299.00 which is just out of my price range.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/pioneer/DJM850_Black

Scott Michael
02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Coming march 2012.... looks like there may be some truth to a product line change for DJM and CDJ series soon!

Blueprint
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I'll just repeat what I said on DJTT.

What exactly does this offer that's better than buying a second hand 800 for half the price and a TSP bundle? Especially since most people who want to use Traktor Scratch functionality will more than likely already have an audio interface.

Also, I can see why they put the USB port on the faceplate but it makes it very untidy if you're keeping the USB plugged in all the time. No ProDJ link either, nor digital inputs.

I really don't get who this is aimed at, if it's for straight CDJ use with 850s then there's no need for the sound card so it's just the slightly improved FX that raise it above the 800. If it's for Traktor use with CDJ timecode then working with NI to implement advanced HID would have made a lot of sense. After all, using CDJs for timecode renders all looping (and, to some extent, cueing) functions useless.

And also what I said on the DDJT article

Pioneer dev team conversation:

“Guys, I’ve just found a box of 3 million DJM-800 faceplates out the back, what the hell are we going to do with them?”

“Uh… I’ve got it! we’ll paint them white, stick an Audio 8 interface in there and call it a whole new product!”

“You, sir, are a genius. Pub?”

a djm 800 with an audio interface and built in dvs functionality IS a completely different product.

It's just the price that gets people like you in a hissy fit.

In other words, if Rane created a Rane Empath with ONE extra channel, nearly identical layout from the empath - which is a really old mxier now, and SL4 functionality built it - people will love it and praise rane. Now, fast forward to this mixer, it's based on the same layout that has been used in 3 out of 4 clubs worldwide but it's pioneer so people bitch about it.

fyi, i dont own a djm product but i still think they are great.

fullenglishpint
02-23-2012, 10:32 AM
a djm 800 with an audio interface and built in dvs functionality IS a completely different product.

It's just the price that gets people like you in a hissy fit.

In other words, if Rane created a Rane Empath with ONE extra channel, nearly identical layout from the empath - which is a really old mxier now, and SL4 functionality built it - people will love it and praise rane. Now, fast forward to this mixer, it's based on the same layout that has been used in 3 out of 4 clubs worldwide but it's pioneer so people bitch about it.

fyi, i dont own a djm product but i still think they are great.

I think the 800 is a great mixer and this is a logical update a la CDJ-1000mk2 to mk3, but boosting the price so much means it doesn't really have a market niche any more.

bflat
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Wonder how this will compare to the Denon DN-X1600... I was pretty dead-set on getting it, but now that this was announced, I'm kinda torn. Opinions?

DJ Snowstorm
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Wonder how this will compare to the Denon DN-X1600... I was pretty dead-set on getting it, but now that this was announced, I'm kinda torn. Opinions?

I'm right there with you bflat. The question for me is it going to be worth the additional $500-$700 (assuming the actual pricing falls in line with current pricing vs MSRP). I really was close to pulling the trigger on the Denon (I have an DN-X500 now that I may sell).

Signal Lost
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM

I've owned Denon decks (DN-S3700), and I must say they delivered!
So I assume the DN-X1600 is one heck of a mixer. Just read some reviews, everyone owning it is raving about it.

Regarding the 850, not a lot sets it apart from a 800. Better buy a used, mint condition, 800, than a new 850, IMHO (unless you mix with Traktor).

bflat
02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I've owned Denon decks (DN-S3700), and I must say they delivered!
So I assume the DN-X1600 is one heck of a mixer. Just read some reviews, everyone owning it is raving about it.

Regarding the 850, not a lot sets it apart from a 800. Better buy a used, mint condition, 800, than a new 850, IMHO (unless you mix with Traktor).

I was thinking of an 800, but the midi isn't that great from what I hear, and there's no built in sound card which is something I wanted.

LouieV
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
really dont want to make a full comment with this until i get my updated pricelist from pioneer.... BUT....

i can see how this mixer makes sense, and i can see why some peeps dont like the idea of this mixer.

From my point of view, they finally got their product line in order, (if you own 2000's then a 2000 mixer would be great, own 350's the get a djm-350, etc.) However, i think they need to keep this mixer at about $1000 to keep up with the lower price cdj-850's.

One reason im not a big fan is because i think they are making their 850 series and their 900 series way too similar. I can truely say that i dont know what the Pro DJ Link cost pioneer to put into their stuff, and i do understand that it allows more then just playing multiple tracks off a single source (like quantizing fx off your mixer (djm-900nxs & DJM-2000), and showing on air status (on cdj-2000)) but i really don't think the differences between the 2 mixers will justify the price difference, just like the way i dont think that Pro DJ Link, bigger screen real-estate, and a better sound card justify the difference in price between a CDJ-900 and CDJ-850.

Once pricing is official, i'll probly change up my opinion a bit.

CheekyDelinquent
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
EDIT: (courtesy of Andrew B)With the DJM-T1 being 999$ there is no way in hell that Pio would make that 850 1000$. Even without the DJM-T1 I don't see them going that low.

What I fail to understand is what need does this mixer satisfy exactly? To me it feels like a situation of "Do you want a Snickers or a Mars bar?"

- "the new DJM-850 is set to become home and mobile DJs’ most sought-after mixer." How? It's the same price as the 900, so it doesn't make it more accessible to those that are bedroom/home DJs. Also, I could very well be wrong on this so I apologize ahead of time but, I don't see very many mobile DJs using your "standard" style mixer. They usually seem to have a 19" rack with their Dual CDplayer + mixer/eq etc. etc.
- the feature set, everything is the same except the following: they've ditched the X-pad, a few of the sound Colour FX, the "link" plug-in and quantization. Then they added this beat FX system for crazy layered FX. That's it. Everything is still the same, for the same pricepoint, why? I know, I know because "they're pioneer and they can get away with it". I don't buy it though, if I were to go with either of these I would simply go for the 900.

I honestly think, that they have just cluttered up their mixer lineup. From a marketing standpoint I feel that they've kind of fucked themselves, I'm sure they will still do fine and everyone will be all googley eyed over these layered Beat FX but think about it. The 900 captures that same price point and market share that the 800 held. It is the "club standard at a club standard price point", then wtf is the 850? the...bedroom standard at a club standard price point?

I may seem a bit prejudiced but I feel a smarter move would have been to release this 850, with all the features that they had already removed (x-pad and the lot), maybe ditch the beat FX maybe keep them (not really the issue here) but either way release it at the 1500USD mark in order to capture that middle/lower price market. Make it truly aimed at the "home DJs" because if some random bro that loves electro and wants to be the new Zedd/MAU5/whateverthef*ck, walks into a music shop and sees the DNX1700 for 1700$ (weird!) which contains, lets be honest here, more or less the exact same bloody features as the 850 he has two pretty viable options. HOWEVER, if say the 850 was 1500$ sitting at a price slightly below the DNX1700 and a fair bit above the DNX1600 it would practically be a no brainer, even I would probably jump on that.

Even if Pioneer just released this 850 without the beatFX and with say still the 6 colourFX, no x-pad, no quant, and no link and basically play it off as an updated 800 with an audio interface for 1500$ they would secure themselves a pretty fat spot and cut Denon right out (not like they pose any major threat, not hating just saying). Because the 800 was 2000$ pretty much right up to the point that it was discontinued. Meaning everyone that wanted one back then, could have a "better" one now for less.

Look at the 800 vs 700. No colour FX, a fair bit cheaper and I feel it captured the home DJ heats fairly well. Yes it was an older mixer and the 800 was an update to it rather than the 700 being the alternative to the 800 but it worked as one.

Andrew B
02-23-2012, 03:10 PM
^^ The DJM-T1 is $999

Blueprint
02-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I would actually appreciate it if they didn't spend money to market dj products anymore. FFS, it's Pioneer, it almost sells itself.

CheekyDelinquent
02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
^^ The DJM-T1 is $999

That's what I thought but on every Canadian website it's still sitting at 1500$ for some odd reason. Thanks for the correction.

My point still stands though even if it is 1000$

LoveBass
02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
one more reason to hate pioneer

Firebr4nd
02-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Looks really nice. More gear from Pioneer that I want...

DJ ArmanB
02-24-2012, 03:52 AM
If this ends up being about 1200 ill definitely be getting it.

golem
02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Does anybody know that is DJM-700 really discontinued? There was a rumor but I don't see this replacing DJM-700. Perhaps it would replace DJM-800.

If DJM-700 is really discontinued is there any replacement for it in the same price range?

DjZzeless
02-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Does anybody know that is DJM-700 really discontinued? There was a rumor but I don't see this replacing DJM-700. Perhaps it would replace DJM-800.

If DJM-700 is really discontinued is there any replacement for it in the same price range?

Its the 800 thats discontinued!

So Pioneer is assuming everyone is using Traktor, I dont, so I wont be buying it!
I'll stick with my djm700!

DJNR
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Its the 800 thats discontinued!

So Pioneer is assuming everyone is using Traktor, I dont, so I wont be buying it!
I'll stick with my djm700!

I feel like Traktor users make up most of their client base.

justhansel
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
you can't watch the youtube video on it now, can't find it on youtube and pioneers website says its private

Andrew B
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I feel like Traktor users make up most of their client base.

I would think Traktor users are a very small percentage of their user base.

Majority would be CDJs, then SSL, then Traktor.

brichi
02-24-2012, 07:02 PM
you can't watch the youtube video on it now, can't find it on youtube and pioneers website says its private

i just youtube searched djm850 and watched the first video that was there, it wasn't private for me

theres even one with a complete overview

justhansel
02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
i just youtube searched djm850 and watched the first video that was there, it wasn't private for me

theres even one with a complete overview

the one from pioneers youtube channel is gone, others are there though that is correct.

brichi
02-24-2012, 07:07 PM
ahhhhh gotcha, yeah I wasn't on their channel, just did a basic youtube search and watched the 2 there

Wakka
02-25-2012, 10:30 AM
do not get the point of this at all

Estacy
02-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I too fail to see the point of this thing when there's a DJM 900....

TocaTone
02-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I have a full pioneer set up (DJM-900 + CDJ-900s) so I'm somewhat of a loyal customer, but this doesn't impress me at all. Seems like a more expensive DJM-800 with a few more gizmos and better sound quality (although lacking digital ins). I guess this isn't targeted for me. I'm just having trouble figuring out who exactly it is targeted for. Especially since it will probable cost only a few hundred less than the 900.

Why can't Pioneer focus on improving they're existing mixers like the 2000 and 900 instead of spending the costs to saturate their product line with nearly identical products? For example, anyone I know who has used a 900 hates the echo effect. It doesn't work the same as on the 800 or 2000 and sounds like shit. I'm totally in love with linking my CDJs to my 900 but honestly feel like I should have spent extra cash on a A&H DB4.

justhansel
02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
proaudiostar has the 850 on its website for $1999

justhansel
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
maybe DJM-900 price reduction, that'd be nice.

bflat
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone get a chance to play with this yet?

Andrew B
04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Anyone get a chance to play with this yet?

Adzm00 just bought one. Said he'll review it when he's had some time to play with it.

Adzm00
04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I've played a bit.

For those who keep saying I dont get the point, well, I kind of do. Its not really that much more than the DJM800, and what it pretty much is, is a DJM900 in a housing thats very similar to a DJM800, so you get a higher build quality, better sound, minus a few FX, but plus a few other FX options (assigning colour FX to the "beat" and 12 o'clock on the beat fx control knob is the level control, whilst going past that controls other parameters, for example with the reverb you add filter by going past 12 o'clock).

My mate at MoS ran the 900 against the DB4 in a sound quality comparison test, and he seems to think the 900 beats the DB4. I would honestly like to hear them both on the same system to judge for myself, but he not only did this but used analysers to give feedback. It costs, in the UK, £300 ($480) less than the DJM900 but £150 ($240) more than the DJM800. Its not a huge amount between them, but the DJM800 is quite a few years old now and to pay an extra £150 for an updated version which is better built, is better sounding, has better and more FX, a built in sound card.

I've yet to test other features such as the software to "customise" the mixer, nor have I used the isolators.