PDA

View Full Version : how many different speaker systems do you test your shit on before your done?

PONTUS.2
02-23-2012, 01:12 AM
For those who cant get their shit professionally mixed & mastered and have to test their shit on as many different systems as possible.....

how many do you usually test your shit on?

right now i have 4 available but im wondering what everyone else is workin with? :cry:

Elliottt
02-23-2012, 01:46 AM
I usually check my monitors (Adam a7), cans and car. However I just got a pair of ns10's and auratones to add to the list for referencing my mixes from now on. (still havnt set them up) I'm hoping this will help me to get my mixes to translate well on different systems. The more systems you reference on the better.

Manu
02-23-2012, 02:26 AM
main speakers, secondary speakers, DJing speakers, HIFI I have on the side, headphones, secondary headphones, car (think that's about it:P). And I master my own...

the4thImpulse
02-23-2012, 02:29 AM
my main stuff, car, some cheap 2.1 compuer speakers, laptop speakers, my church's 2 sound systems and stock ipod headphones.

PONTUS.2
02-23-2012, 02:44 AM
nice shit fellas im just going to keep on adding shit so far i got...

-monitors
-shelf stereo
-dj headphones
-ipod headphones
-car stereo
-laptop speakers.....

TopangaS2k
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
This is a great question.

I check my tracks/mixes on my KRK Rokit 5's, Sony MDR500's, car speakers, basic computer speakers.
I will be adding in a new set soon since the R5's just dont hit the lows i want to hear...

Sedna
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
I master all my own tracks. I typically listen to them on my house speakers, studio headphones, DJ headphones, car system, and occasionally I'll listen to it on someone else's speakers as well.

I find that one great way to test your track is to DJ with it. If it's a proper fit with other music of similar style, you're on the right track.

elctromn
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I use computer speakers, our theater monitors, car speakers, DJ headphones, shure earbuds, and a nice stereo system I have in my room.

drumpusher
02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
I have an absolute dirt peice of shit mono speaker on my tv. I'll hook up the laptop and play a reference track and see how that sounds, then bounce back and forth.

Giran
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I have an absolute dirt peice of shit mono speaker on my tv. I'll hook up the laptop and play a reference track and see how that sounds, then bounce back and forth.

Mixing in mono ftw! :D
A quick and dirty trick is to stick a stereo imager on your master channel and set the width to 0%. That way you can get a "true" idea of how loud certain elements are.
Of course, you can still produce in stereo and have things like ping-pong/sample delay running, but it's always important to switch to mono on the master to get the levelling right. Too often I hear an element being "loud" in the stereo field but "soft" in mono. The idea is to make sure you aren't sending your signals completely apart from the mid. :)

That said, I test my songs on my headphones, pc speakers, iPod speakers and recently I've been getting my friend (who is a member of this forum btw) to test it out on a club system. ;)

H.R. Smokinsh!t
02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Monitors, cans, computer, Home Theater (DCM stereo/ Sony surround), Car (MTX/Rockford/Kicker combo), decent Sony earbuds, Loudspeakers (B52 Matrix)

Tektonix
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Monitor's, Fancy DJ Speakers, Shitty Bargain Bin DJ Speakers, DJ Headphones, Producing Headphones, My boom box thingy, Car and whatever ****** listening ear buds i own at the time.....And it sounds fucking different on the majority of them :argh: