PDA

View Full Version : How to Mix Pop?

DJASIANNOOB
02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
At my upcoming gig I was told that they want pop mainly, I usually dont have a problem with 1 pop song every once and a while, but they want it all to be pop. I mainly mix techno because its alot easier and when I try pop it gets messy with to many people talking. Any suggestions or tips? Maybe getting acapells and instrumentals?

Blue Shoes
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
What's the gig? When I play a 21st or a wedding I don't worry so much about mixing as I do about song selection. Usually like a 4 bar intro for a lot of it and I just key match and beatmatch that bit and mix more with the crossfader than the EQs.

Or if you have a pool subscription. Just gram remixes of all the current pop tracks from guys like Dave Aude and Liam Keegan. They're (in most cases) basically the same song with a different drum track and an intro you can mix with.

DJ-Veaux
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm personally not an expert in pop, but I do know that you really can't "mix" into pop the way you mix in techno. It's a lot of quick cutting, scratching, etc.
Another tip I got from a friend is don't always worry about constantly mixing it. Don't be afraid to let a song run out and then run the next song. That being said, if you're comfortable with it try those quick transitions, cutting, scratching, etc.

Hopefully Sigma will comment on this since this area seems to be more of his forte.

jz416
02-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Check this out: http://9inchremix.com/modules/9inch/

drzinc
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
I mix pop with rye.

DJ-Veaux
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
I mix pop with rye.

I personally mix it with mentos
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_05/MentosPOP_800x532.jpg

DJASIANNOOB
02-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Its a school dance, they want modern songs, but then would having a beat playing in the background as a sample, then fading to the next songs?

Or I was thinking Techno then pop the techno then pop that might be easier to mix, because I just can just put the lyrics on top of the techno songs.