PDA

View Full Version : Mixing out of songs with non-conventional beat patterns...

Mixxed
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
... Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ytmbVmTyo

If you were going to start mixing out of this song right at let's say 5:22... The phrasing of the song is such that it's not gonna sync up with the incoming track... How would you go about this? Maybe just loop the last beat of that phrase (of the outgoing)?

JackStalk
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
For a wedding or mobile gig, I usually will just fade out and drop into the next track, granted they're in the same groove and energy level. Most people won't notice which is why a lot of mobile DJs barely beatmatch (in general). For that specific track, why wouldnt you be able to just mix the outro at 5:22? I don't see any problems with phrasing on that part of the track.

I would do an 8 bar quick mixover into a more structured track. Drop the mids to kill the vocal phrasing, and get the new track in before the first off-beat drum fill on the 12th (or whatever it was)

Mixxed
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I hear what you're saying... But I made a mix with this joint, and I needed to mix out... So the phrasing was a bit off, I guess I could have dropped the new track in on the 1, but it was too late. LOL.

Gerardamo
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I know it's a bit of a short cut but maybe use a filter and then just drop the next one?? Some sort of high pass filter would work and then try to follow up with a song that has high energy from the start.