PDA

View Full Version : Thumbtack... What is this thing?

BD-DV07
02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Has anyone got mixed in with the Thumbtack business lead service thing?? I got a soposed lead from it, and not I'm getting all kinds of BS from it. Not sure how well it works or not.

Defiance
02-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I've had a few nibbles and some scam phone call for me to give them money and list my services on some site. Notta one gig from it though, so I haven't stayed active on it.

Mike D
02-22-2012, 09:50 PM
As with most things I'm sure it varies by location. personally, I haven't booked anything off it yet....

Dix
02-23-2012, 06:42 AM
As well, I have been on it for maybe a year or more & I have never gotten a lead off of it at all. I am the only DJ in this immediate area. The next closest is in Warren Arkansas.
TC

Sween
02-23-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm on there... and I managed to jump through all their hoops to get verified to Gold Level.

They send me leads from time to time, but they ask me to pay for them... (and I don't buy). and they are NOT "good" leads... Good leads come from the Knot, Wedding Wire, WOM, and internet searches. People go to Thumbtack when they realize the Knot, Wedding, Wire, WOM, and internet searches are only finding DJ's who are too expensive for them.

It's only one notch above Craigslist...

But it is good for SEO to get your listing out there... and if you sign up with this link http://www.thumbtack.com/welcome?refer=pvk7AIyUjh5Ygw I get a few points.

DJMC
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
what Sween just said.

I myself have gotten a few potential leads from Thumbtack, but I refuse to pay "up front" for leads.

If they had a "Commission" option -- I would pay a small percentage of the billed fee. But they seem to have that option disabled.

My SEO is good enough so -- chances are-- the same person will find my web site (if they aren't stupid).

BD-DV07
02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Cool.. Yeah, I didn't like the pay for lead thing.. how dumb! I might actually book a wedding from it though.. so who knows. lady actually called me today who was using it. Random. Don't plan on using it though.

digitalscorpion
02-28-2012, 07:21 AM
I use it quite a bit. They dont get any money from me though. Basically I use it as the middle man. Free advertising, no need to make up a website. Im sure I could get more features if I paid for them, but why bother. I deal with alot of local DJs and I've got a few of them listed on there, havent heard any complaints. Just one more site to get your name out there imo.

Sween
02-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Free advertising, no need to make up a website.

Disagree with this advice.

Galager
02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I've booked ONE wedding through them... a year out. That was when I had to option to pay a commission. Now they want to have us pay up front. Considering the number of commission leads I responded to and with only getting one gig, it is not worth the money to pay for a lead ahead of time.

Dix
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
It's only one notch above Craigslist...
But it is good for SEO to get your listing out there... and if you sign up with this link http://www.thumbtack.com/welcome?refer=pvk7AIyUjh5Ygw I get a few points.

People always talk about craigslist.. I dont know if she will book or not but I discussed my services for about 20 minutes with a girl yesterday (from my craigslist ad) that will be my highest paying gig in a loooong time.... $925. Say what yall want but, while I haven't booked a lot of gigs from craigslist, it has certainly paid for its cost many times over in advertising fees over time.....

digitalscorpion
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Disagree with this advice.

?.. What exactly are you disagreeing with? It is free advertising, and I've proved it with the customers I recieved and no $ spent. Not saying an actual DJ shouldnt have a website, but like i said, its just another site to get your name out there... aanndd its free ;)

Sween
02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
?.. What exactly are you disagreeing with? It is free advertising, and I've proved it with the customers I recieved and no $ spent. Not saying an actual DJ shouldnt have a website, but like i said, its just another site to get your name out there... aanndd its free ;)

I disagreed with the statement.. No need to have a website.

I agree you should use Thumbtack, but you need a website first.

Dix
07-25-2012, 07:58 PM
As well, I have been on it for maybe a year or more & I have never gotten a lead off of it at all. I am the only DJ in this immediate area. The next closest is in Warren Arkansas.
TC

Update: I just got the first lead from Thumbtack..... its an outside event... that figures. :lol:

Henry
07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Not booked anything from it yet. I get leads 2 hours away from me. What Sween said.

DJ Nada
04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I signed up for this yesterday. I'm going to bid on exactly two leads, just to satisfy my curiosity.
Anyone else here having success with this service?

Katepanda
04-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I signed up yesterday and already got 5 leads on it. However, they all have low budgets for rather large scale events. A few are even out of state, too. Not wasting money on it so far.

Galager
04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
I want to disagree with my previous posting. Since I made that posting I have booked quite a few gigs with them. Granted, they are not high paying gigs, but there are enough mid range to low-mid range leads to help me stay busy. This Saturday I am doing a b-day party from Craigslist that I am getting $450 for. The gig I did last weekend was also a Craigslist that I was going to get paid $350 for but because I played longer than anticipated I got $400.

My daughter is just starting to get into DJing and is doing her first wedding reception for only $150 and it was a Craigslist lead. The reason we accepted it was because it is her first wedding and the client KNOWS it is her first wedding, that is why they are getting such a cheap price. She is only bringing 2 speakers on sticks, and tiny mixer and corded mic.

The point is there are a lot of people looking for cheap bids on Thumbtack but not all. It is a good place for newbies and bottom feeders but there is also room for mid to low-mid people like me.

If gigs in the $200 to $500 range are acceptable for you then you might have some success with Thumbtack. As Sween said, it is best to jump through all their hoops to get certified, yadda yadda yadda and, if you can, get some positive reviews. I spent half a day just writing up little tidbits about myself and filling out the various forms on Thumbtack and it was time well spent. I get anywhere from 3 to 9 leads a week from Thumbtack and I bid on about half of them. About 1 in 6 leads I bid on go with me.

One trick is to respond quickly when you are notified there is a lead. They only let 5 DJs bid on a lead.

The other nice thing they recently instituted was a lead refund policy. If the person you send your bid to doesn't at least look at your bid in 3 days then you are refunded your money for that bid.

You can see what I have on Thumbtack at http://www.thumbtack.com/wa/vancouver/djs/dj-services (I hope that link works)

I wouldn't mind feedback on my Thumbtack page that the above link takes you to if you have the time.

Dix
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I have been using it for a couple of years but, 99% of the leads I get are out of my area or are too far for me to buy the lead. I have never bought a lead. When I first signed up for it a coupe of years ago, I never got a lead. Now over the past 3 or 4 months, I have been getting 3 or 4 leads a month but again, they aren't close enough to me that interest me.

As well, I don't like the way they have their pay system set up. Good thing I didn't pay the $50 or so up front for lead purchases. It would have been money either tied up or it would have automatically bought a bunch of dead leads that I am not interested in. It also looks like, you have to actually correspond through the site with the client, through the booking process. I don't think I like that.

Galager
04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I have been using it for a couple of years but, 99% of the leads I get are out of my area or are too far for me to buy the lead. I have never bought a lead. When I first signed up for it a coupe of years ago, I never got a lead. Now over the past 3 or 4 months, I have been getting 3 or 4 leads a month but again, they aren't close enough to me that interest me.

As well, I don't like the way they have their pay system set up. Good thing I didn't pay the $50 or so up front for lead purchases. It would have been money either tied up or it would have automatically bought a bunch of dead leads that I am not interested in. It also looks like, you have to actually correspond through the site with the client, through the booking process. I don't think I like that.

Dixie, FYI, you don't have to correspond through them but it is very easy to do it. Plus it will text you when someone responds to you through their system. Also, you only pay for the leads you want to bid on. I refuse to bid on quite a few leads from them and it costs me nothing.

Sween
04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I think its hilarious some of the leads that come through there... Last minute gigs with a $200 budget asking you to "entertain the kids"... F THAT! But I recently gave it another shot... Bought $30 worth of credits... They give you 24 credits and each lead costs 5... (great math!) Responded to a few leads on it for weddings. The only response I got was from a bride asking me "how dare I charge $900 for a wedding???" And I was doing her a mega favor for $900 with my package that is usually $1200.

If you are up for cheap gigs, go for it... I get TONS of leads on it, probably about 10-20 per DAY. Too bad none of them are worth taking (to me).

DJMC
04-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Do the math. Thumbtack uses PPC and is paying $5 per click in most cities. They turn around and sell the so-called Lead for $8 to 5 stupid DJs who are too dumb to have their own SEO.

They are making $40 for a click that cost them only $5 --- making $35 off those idiots. Again folks -- DO THE MATH. (I sound like that Toyota commercial....LOL)

DJ Nada
04-05-2013, 03:03 PM
I want to disagree with my previous posting. Since I made that posting I have booked quite a few gigs with them.
<<<snip>>>

It says you've done 3... I wouldn't call that a wild success.

Galager
04-05-2013, 08:26 PM
It says you've done 3... I wouldn't call that a wild success.

It says I've done 3. I have probably actually done around 5 this year alone and have another 8 or 9 booked.

I am not making a ton of money from these but much more than if I were sitting at home doing nothing. It's not for everyone... but it is working for me quite nicely.

Galager
04-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Do the math. Thumbtack uses PPC and is paying $5 per click in most cities. They turn around and sell the so-called Lead for $8 to 5 stupid DJs who are too dumb to have their own SEO.

They are making $40 for a click that cost them only $5 --- making $35 off those idiots. Again folks -- DO THE MATH. (I sound like that Toyota commercial....LOL)

As someone who is making money from Thumbtack... right back at ya! :P

Galager
04-05-2013, 08:35 PM
The only response I got was from a bride asking me "how dare I charge $900 for a wedding???" And I was doing her a mega favor for $900 with my package that is usually $1200.

Sween, I have nothing but respect for you. I wish I were at your level in the DJ food chain. I agree. Thumbtack probably aint for you. Generally the Thumbtack client is not going to pay for a top tier DJ.

DJ Nada
04-05-2013, 10:00 PM
When they don't list a budget, is that usually a bad sign? I'm getting multiple emails daily, but don't want to mess with people wanting $150 DJs.

Galager
04-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Sadly there is not real way to tell. Most of the time there is not a budget listed. If you want to try Thumbtack, be prepared for disappointment. My suggestion is try bidding on a dozen leads and see what happens. Chalk it up to advertising. 12 leads at $8 each = $96. If you land one gig will it be worth the $100 you spent getting it? I know I have spent $100 way too frivolously in the past that I don't feel too terrible spending that same amount trying a new method of generating business leads.

As far as picking and choosing what leads I bid on I do take into consideration the distance I am to travel. Too far away and it is not worth giving them a cheaper bid.

Also, I have found it best to give them the cheapest package pricing I have then mention a few add-ons such as lights. About 25% of the time people are choosing to add a lighting package to my cheapest bid. That puts me more in line with where I want to be but the cheap, bare bones bid at least got their attention.

The way I sell myself is probably a little different than most because of my background in sales so I don't know if I can be a huge amount of help. I do suggest looking at what the other DJs in your area on Thumbtack are saying on their pages so you get an idea of what you are up against (or at least what they are claiming).

Good luck. I sincerely hope it works for you. However, if it doesn't, it was at least worth looking into.

Sween
04-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Sween, I have nothing but respect for you. I wish I were at your level in the DJ food chain. I agree. Thumbtack probably aint for you. Generally the Thumbtack client is not going to pay for a top tier DJ.

I'm not a "top tier" DJ... I'm mid tier definitely, but I find that Thumbtack is where people go for bottom tier. It's really no better than Craigslist.

You CAN get to where I am if you stop settling for low paying jobs and market yourself properly. For me, the best thing to do was improve my website and get on the Knot and WW. I wasn't originally having success on the Knot, but a few website improvements have increased my traffic insanely... On average I am handing out 3 over $1000 quotes per day.

Thumbtack is not bad itself, but for some reason it seems that the majority of leads are for small partys or weddings with small budgets.

DJ Higgumz
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
When you buy a lead what (in your experience) is a good selling point or how do you write your replies? Im going to give eventective and thumbtack another chance now, as I didn't have much luck before. I think it was probably the way i presented myself in my replies.

DJ Nada
04-06-2013, 05:25 PM
If you land one gig will it be worth the $100 you spent getting it?

When you put it that way, $100 just to put my name in front of 12 people is really stupid. I sent my second, and last quote today. Lowballed myself, because I'll be bored that night and want something to do. We'll see what happens.

Sween
04-06-2013, 05:26 PM
When you buy a lead what (in your experience) is a good selling point or how do you write your replies? Im going to give eventective and thumbtack another chance now, as I didn't have much luck before. I think it was probably the way i presented myself in my replies.

They limit you on what you can write so I just include an attachment with the full quote and photos.

Galager
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
They limit you on what you can write so I just include an attachment with the full quote and photos.
I do the same

Dix
04-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Here is a lead I just got from Thumbtack...

What Event type
Wedding

Number of guests
50-100

Equipment needed
Sound/PA system, Disco lighting

When
Date: Sat Apr 20 2013
Time: 3:30
Length: 7:00

Where
Port Jervis, NY 12771
Service professional must travel to my address.

Its typical for me to get leads that of no interest to me due to low pay or distance. While most are 100 - 200 miles away, I have to say this is the farthest for a gig at 1334 miles.

For a long time, I didnt get any leads at all, then all of a sudden they started coming in at about 2 each week over the past six months... I havent seen one that interests me yet.

$100 for Seven (7) hours :lol:

DJ Nada
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
There's a setting for how far you're willing to travel.
Yeah, thumbtack leads are complete garbage so far, no replies from any of the 3 I've sent out. (one got refunded) I wish they would tell you why you didn't get the gig. Price too low? Face too sketchy? Grammar suspiciously good?

Dix
04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
There's a setting for how far you're willing to travel.

Exactly, and that's part of my point... That's why I cant understand getting all these leads 100 + miles away.. :shrug:

I'm not totally convinced that all the leads (any in my case so far) are legit.

Galager
04-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Exactly, and that's part of my point... That's why I cant understand getting all these leads 100 + miles away.. :shrug:

I'm not totally convinced that all the leads (any in my case so far) are legit.

All the leads probably are not legit. But I can testify that many of them are. I know from personal experience. Reality is if you see a ridiculous lead, don't bid on it. Simple as that.

It is no secret that the leads generally are not the high end clients we would all like to book. But I just did a prom last night for a local high school from Thumbtack and I have another prom in 2 weeks from Thumbtack.

If you work the Thumbtack system and you are not looking to book the high end gigs, especially if you don't have enough history to be getting tons of referral business, then it is not a bad way to go compared to some of the other systems I have seen. Someday I will have more and more referral business but until that time comes, I will keep on bidding on Thumbtack leads and I will book Thumbtack leads.

Galager
04-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Actually, if you get gigs that are NOT from referrals, where are you getting those leads?

WillieB69
04-15-2013, 01:34 AM
I got a lead from Thumbtack last week that would have paid out but they didn't list a date. I sent my quote and she called the next day. Said she needed a DJ for that Friday. Unfortunately, I was already under other obligations with family that night. Lost out on an easy paying gig just a few miles from me. :( That is the only one out of 10 or so I've replied to though. Not sure I will keep doing it unless I really want the gig.

Dix
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Update: I just got a lead last week that was in my area that was reasonable for me to reply to. So, I clicked send reply & it eventually took me to a place I could buy the 5 credits to send a reply. I never heard anything from the person. Today, I got an auto generated email from Thumbtack that they reversed payment of the lead back to me because the client hadn't responded. I did not have to solicit the retraction. They automatically did it after the person hadn't replied with in a certain amount of days.

This does build my confidence in ThumbTack as reputable . However, again, this is the first lead I have had from ThumbTack that has been within my service area in the two or three years I have had an ad posted with them.

.nacho.
04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
I did thumbtack a year or two ago. I paid $20 for one month of providing unlimited quotes (I don't think they even let you do that now) I probably sent out 30 or so quotes during that time and heard back from one or two. One disappeared and the other hired me then canceled. Decided it was a lost gamble of $20 and I won't use it again. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either. Especially since it's more expensive now.

Galager
04-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Maybe Thumbtack is more prevalent in my area because I just counted and I have received no less than 10 bid requests... a little over half for weddings, the others for parties and events. I think I bid on only 2 of them because I am getting very busy and the calendar is filling up.

The prom I did 2 weeks ago (thumbtack lead) went great and I hope the prom I have this weekend (thumbtack lead) goes just as well. The wedding reception I did last weekend (thumbtack lead) was awesome and I have already picked up another wedding because of it.

But if you guys don't like or want to do thumbtack leads I won't cry. Less competition for me. :tup:

WillieB69
04-25-2013, 06:27 PM
I've landed two gigs in just over a month through Thumbtack.
So far, it's been the best bit of advertising I've done.

If the leads have a budget below what I'm willing to take or don't look like something I want to take, I pass on them.

Defiance
04-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I guess I need to get back into thumbtack, I'm listed in the top 5 in my area when you search and I usually get at least one lead texted to my phone a day. Most are weddings (and I don't typically like to do weddings) so I stopped even opening them. I just updated it so I'll see what comes along and report back.

DJ Nada
04-25-2013, 08:15 PM
I get multiple leads a day, but they're 90% crap. I doubt some of them are ever real.
"I need a DJ for a party, but don't have a budget, and don't have a set date yet. I also don't know what equipment I want either."
Yeah, a waste of my time. I've gotten some nibbles off Thumbtack, but 0 gigs performed so far.
I submitted a bid to someone that wanted a DJ that could scratch, do tricks, etc. Started talking to them, found out it was a Virginia production company that was shooting a promo video. Hell no I'm not going to help someone else promote their business. Do none of the DJ's you have on staff know how to work turntables?

Dix
05-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Today, I got an auto generated email from Thumbtack that they reversed payment of the lead back to me because the client hadn't responded.

Update: To be clear, I checked my bank account & I still haven't received the funds back to my account, so, in essence what they did was gave me credit to buy the next lead. They kept the payment & issued Thumb Tack credits..

Sween
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
FYI - I get about 20 Thumbtack emails per day and it's getting pretty annoying... Most of them are for Birthday parties of 50 people or less and not worth my time...

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/futurescapes/thumbtack_zps110a7006.jpg

WillieB69
05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
FYI - I get about 20 Thumbtack emails per day and it's getting pretty annoying... Most of them are for Birthday parties of 50 people or less and not worth my time...

I've started passing on any lead that doesn't have a budget listed. 90% of the time those are the ones looking for $150 DJs.
When it asks why I've passed on the job I make sure I check the "other" button and specifically say that I won't bid without a budget listed in the lead.
Hopefully this will get them to push their customers a little harder to list the amount their willing to spend.

DJ Nada
05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
For the first time, I got a lead that was "Thumbtack Verified." Apparently someone from Thumbtack actually contacted the person to make sure it was a legit bid.

Thumbtack Verified
I called Tom and confirmed the following information about the work request:
We spoke to Tom regarding his request.
He would like a Dj on June 15, 2013 at 4pm for about 3 to 4 hours.
He hasn't mad a decision the location and amount of guest as of yet.
He would like a variety of Pop music to keep the party upbeat!
Please send Tom your estimated quotes and availability to make this a rocking party! :)
He is ready to hire.

The bid didn't have a budget or expected attendance listed, so no quote from me.

Katepanda
05-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes. I got a verified lead like that a few days ago. Haven't gotten another one since. Since haven't bid on any. Trying to think if it's worth it or not yet.

WillieB69
05-02-2013, 05:12 PM
For the first time, I got a lead that was "Thumbtack Verified." Apparently someone from Thumbtack actually contacted the person to make sure it was a legit bid.

The bid didn't have a budget or expected attendance listed, so no quote from me.
I've never even seen one of those...... Weird.

DJ Nada
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Yes. I got a verified lead like that a few days ago. Haven't gotten another one since. Since haven't bid on any. Trying to think if it's worth it or not yet.

It's a waste of money. You'll probably have the same level of success putting ads on craigslist.

Galager
05-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Half of my gigs come from Thumbtack. Granted I am not a high end DJ but not the cheapest by far. You just gotta know what to pass on, what to bid on, what to say to get them to contact you. If I can just get them to TALK to me... my personality and charm wins them over every time... well, almost every time.

If 90% of the leads are crap, I don't see how that is a problem. If there is not enough information or something sounds fishy, don't bid on it. Simple as that. It's that other 10% that interests me.

FYI, When they credit you back they are NOT giving you back your money. They are crediting back your credit you purchased from them. It's like getting in-store credit. Still, it's better than nothing.

Dix
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
FYI, When they credit you back they are NOT giving you back your money. They are crediting back your credit you purchased from them. It's like getting in-store credit. Still, it's better than nothing.

Yes, correct & I dont have aproblem with that. I just never wanted to pay like $50 & tie it up for months on end without using it. $8.33 in a holding pot until I need for it one lead that comes along ever so often for me is acceptable... but not tieing up $50.

Defiance
05-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Booked my first gig via Thumbtack.

Not as happy as I could be. I am booked every Sat, so that knocks out about 80% of any gigs that come my way unless they are high paying. But this was a "graduation" party on a friday on a weekend coming up. I thought cool, paid Thumbtack, set a price, got what they wanted and I was happy. The only thing funny right off the start was they put 150-200 people, which I suppose a huge grad party might have around someones house.

About 15 messages later, I knew they wanted me because I am the only DJ that makes it obvious that I mix, scratch, etc and put on a show. But 'grandma' is making it sound like the granddaughter wants more of a "party!" than "good rock/pop" background music. Which I obviously charged much less to do. I of course showed them a picture of a nice setup I did a few weeks ago, with more equipment than I'd ever bring to a private event. Puts me in a tough spot. Its day I usually don't DJ so I might just say "F-it" and give them a good show (within reason) and take the 'grad party' pay. Otherwise I can already feel the disappointment.

.nacho.
06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
The majority of reviews I see say thumbtack is a joke. Regardless of whether or not the leads are good, they charge WAY too much per credit.

I think they must have caught on to their reputation getting destroyed. Anyone else get an email for 24 free credits?

Dix
06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
The majority of reviews I see say thumbtack is a joke. Regardless of whether or not the leads are good, they charge WAY too much per credit.

I think they must have caught on to their reputation getting destroyed. Anyone else get an email for 24 free credits?

Agree they charge too much for their credits. :( I did not get an email for 24 free credits.

WillieB69
06-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Agree they charge too much for their credits. :( I did not get an email for 24 free credits.

No free credits for me either. :(

However, one of my gigs 2 weeks ago was a Thumbtack lead.
I've gotten a lot more selective about which leads I take though.

Dix
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I have to say that I am pleased with how fast Thumbtack refunds your credits when a person does not respond. I cant remember how long it is but, if a potential client doesn't reply to your response within like 72 hours, they refund your credits to your account. I agree that if a person doesn't respond within 1 day or 2, they person probably isn't serious for one reason or another.

About a week or so ago, I replied to a lead & they never replied so Thumbtack refunded my credits. Only about 30 minuets later, I got an email that the person had responded. I haven't checked, but does anyone know if they took the credits back after the person responded? OR once they are refunded, does this end up being a free lead since the person responded after thumbtack refunded the credits? Anyone know?

EDIT: I checked my account & the credits were not taken back by Thumbtack after they were refunded even though the client responded.

WillieB69
06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
EDIT: I checked my account & the credits were not taken back by Thumbtack after they were refunded even though the client responded.

Now that's kinda cool. I wonder if it was really out of the goodness of their hearts or if their system just isn't smart enough to come back for the credits? :D

(For the record, it's 48 hours with no response. ;) )

ParisCreative
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I tried them out for a few months. Pre-credits it wasn't bad since the risk level was low and you were likely to get a straight refund. I did land one gig from the whole thing, the others ended up people trying to find a DJ for $100-200. I still get emails and if there is one that looks legit and lucrative I will probably pursuit, but there are nary any.

Galager
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Now that's kinda cool. I wonder if it was really out of the goodness of their hearts or if their system just isn't smart enough to come back for the credits? :D

(For the record, it's 48 hours with no response. ;) )

I've done quite a few gigs from Thumback leads and it is true that once they refund the leads they stay refunded. I have actually landed more than one gig that the credits were refunded to me because the client didn't respond in the first 3 days. It's not a perfect system but I look at it as one more tool in my toolbox for getting gigs

WillieB69
06-13-2013, 04:14 PM
I've done quite a few gigs from Thumback leads and it is true that once they refund the leads they stay refunded. I have actually landed more than one gig that the credits were refunded to me because the client didn't respond in the first 3 days. It's not a perfect system but I look at it as one more tool in my toolbox for getting gigs

I normally don't quote the ones where the requester doesn't provide a budget or if the budget is lower than what I'm willing to take. I got one today that's almost too good to pass up though. It's a "Back To The Future" themed birthday party. The customer didn't provide a budget but gigs like that really stroke my '80s wood. :D

Dix
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
In all reality, I never send a quote. I want them to contact me. I want to make that sale over the phone. And, of course you guys know that I am too picky about my gigs. So I need to talk to that person & ask questions. I need to know that I want to do the gig based on exactly what they have going on. I want to know the gig is good for me. I want to know that I am good for them ( I can do what they need done). I need to know, if its going to be a PITA, I can charge extra or not take the gig at all. When I get leads, I never send a blind quote. I send a message & have them call me because I cater to each clients specific needs. Therefore its important that we speak so we can get on the same page.
Sometimes they call, sometimes they don't.

Dix
08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Got a ridiculous lead this morning from Thumbtack.

Wedding & reception outdoors
in a small town 20 miles away
outside
Hip Hop/Rap, Top 40, Country & other mix of genre's
50 - 100 people
Sound system
4 hours

Budget ...
$200 - $300

WillieB69
08-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Got a ridiculous lead this morning from Thumbtack.

Wedding & reception outdoors
in a small town 20 miles away
outside
Hip Hop/Rap, Top 40, Country & other mix of genre's
50 - 100 people
Sound system
4 hours

Budget ...
$200 - $300

That's about average for what I get for leads but a lot don't even list a budget.
The ones that have lowball budgets, I reject as well.
I did land a wedding reception from them last night though.

Dix
08-03-2013, 02:06 PM
That's about average for what I get for leads but a lot don't even list a budget.
The ones that have lowball budgets, I reject as well.
I have gotten some pretty fair gigs from there but about 1/2 of the leads I get, never reply once I contact them. Some are just low. Some call me but dont book & a few I actually book.

I did land a wedding reception from them last night though.
Glad you were able to get that. Good luck :)