PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting ChrisHynds vs Delta V - Deep Progressive Battle

JonAvalon
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Delta V-vs-ChrisHynds-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Delta V-vs-ChrisHynds-2.mp3)

Rules:

Strictly Vinyl (Traktor, Serato etc are cool)
No Auto Sync or grids - lets do it the good old fashioned way and use our ears
Anything with a Deep Underground feel, Prog Breaks, Prog House, Deep House, Deep Trance etc all cool,
Last track has to be mixed in by the 30 minute mark. Your mix can last up to 40 mins or more as long as the last transition is in and noticeable by the 30 minute mark.
Winner goes against the winner of the Ben Mills vs xs2man battle (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?22042-Ben-Mills-vs-xs2man-Deep-Progressive-Battle)

xs2man
02-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Mix 1:

First track is awesome. Love it. First mix nice and tight, great flow. By third track realised the track selection was every bit as good as the tight mixing. As much as I want to do well in my battle, I don't particularly want to go up against the winner of this heat. The rest of the mix went exactly as I suspected. Sublime. Loved this mix so much. Props to the DJ. Would love a tracklisting for this. Might even download this for my car to listen again and again.

Will edit for mix 2 later today.

ben mills
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Are we allowed to vote on this side of the battle?

xs2man
02-24-2013, 10:23 AM
I never even thought about that. I would have thought it would be okay as we aint voting for ourselves?

ben mills
02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
That would make sense, but I'm not sure how everyone feels. So that's why I ask.

I could do it either way, as I am definitely going to be listening to each mix.

On the other hand, I could see arguments for contestants not voting. How was it done in the trance tournament? I imagine that solely due to the large number that they allowed voting, but here because it is just four, I don't know.

ben mills
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm not able to get the mixes to play. When I click, it tries to open up, but the browser just does the old "cannot display page" routine.

I use Chrome, then tried on IE, and on both it was the same.

Gareth
02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm not able to get the mixes to play. When I click, it tries to open up, but the browser just does the old "cannot display page" routine.

Same here - I'm getting 404 errors on both links.

ChrisHynds
02-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Yea you can both vote, I will listen to your sets later and vote too.

JonAvalon
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Same here - I'm getting 404 errors on both links.

Working for me on Chrome and Firefox. You're just gonna have to download them if they don't play in browser.

ChrisHynds
02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Worked fine for me, I listened via my phone, nice set Delta good luck mate

Gareth
02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Looks like it's something to do with how Tapatalk is parsing the URL (Tapatalk is what I use to view the forum on my phone or tablet).

I've checked in Chrome and can see what the URLs are, and there's a space between Delta and V, i.e. "www.djfbattles.com/battles/Delta V-vs-ChrisHynds-1.mp3". Of course, spaces aren't permitted in URLs so Chrome correctly inserts the Unicode character for a space (%20) so the URL becomes "http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Delta%20V-vs-ChrisHynds-1.mp3".

Tapatalk, however, didn't insert the %20 and assumes the blank space signifies the end of the link, so both URLs show as http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Delta, which obviously doesn't exist hence throwing the 404.

I'll download them from my PC and put them on my phone to listen to at work tomorrow.

ChrisHynds
02-25-2013, 01:13 AM
2 pages in and no votes :lol:

ben mills
02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm listening right now. Will be finishing up mix one in about 10 minutes or so, then on to mix 2.

Streams work at work...not at home though. Weird.

ben mills
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I just finished the first mix.

Overall, this was a great mix. It was done at a high level, and this is the level of mixing that I expect to hear when I go out to listen to other DJs play. Sadly, I usually don’t get this level of mixing when I go out.

If this was done in one take, I am even more impressed. The tracks were good, an interesting opening and right on into a good rhythm and flow.

Just a couple of notes. These are very minor and really didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the mix.

Around 15:13, the drop came in a little hard. These things happen all the time. It wasn’t bad, harsh, or otherwise unpleasant…just noteworthy. Again, if done in one take, these things are 100% acceptable. I actually kind of like hearing this…it gives a human element and raw edge to the mix

The mix around 24:00 got a little loose and never really got fixed. One of the tracks went to breakdown/ended while the incoming track continued on for another phase before going to breakdown. Very minor drift, almost undetectable, but it wasn’t corrected. Of course, I could be wrong on my interpretation.

Then at around 27:30 the mix starts to come apart, again by just a hair. This time the DJ quickly made the appropriate corrections and got it back in line prior to the drop into main riff of the incoming at around 28:00. The drop wasn’t as clean and neat as the others in the mix. It wasn’t bad…just not at the standard as the rest of the mix.

Overall, this a very high quality mix. The DJ was in control of the mix the entire time. Clearly, he was shaping the mix through his mixing abilities rather than letting the tracks shape the mix on their own.

Well done. Now on to Mix 2.

ben mills
02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Just finished the second mix.

This was another mix that I enjoyed. I thought the tracks were good, and were generally well placed in the mix. I liked that the mix kept moving, with plenty of tracks coming in and going out.

On the technical side, this mix left a bit to be desired. A lot of beats sliding around during mixes. Sometimes they got fixed, other times not. While the phrase matching generally seemed to be on time, the drops/breaks on the 1s often times were muddy, didn’t hit with the expected oomph, power and cleanliness that I would’ve liked to have heard.

Overall, not a lot to say other than it was technically inferior to the Mix 1. Part of this is because Mix 1 was done so superbly, partly because I think this mix was just a bit sloppy. It was a good mix, but it ran up against an excellent mix. Sometimes that’s just how it goes.

I did enjoy the mix, and as I saw on another mix review, I would probably listen again if it were polished up.

My vote goes for Mix 1.

xs2man
02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Trying to get time to listen to mixes when I have a house full of visiting relatives from Oz. Tut.

Mix 2:

Another awesome first track. Lovely and deep and evil sounding. Exactly my sort of tuneage. I would very much like a tracklisting for both mixes when the voting is over please? As with mix 1, the mixing is tight, although perhaps not quite as much. Overall very pleasant mix though.

I have to pick mix 1 though. It was just that little bit tighter, and overall sound wise was a little more my style. Both mixes were excellent though, mix 2 would have been good enough to win all day long had mix 1 not been just so strong.

Gareth
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
I've finally got round to listening to both mixes so here's my feedback.
I actually found it hard to criticise these mixes because it's not a genre I listen to very often (although I'm starting to get into it more and more). I normally listen to and play trance but not anything as deep as this. As such I found the transitions less easy to identify than I would in mixes I normally listen to. I'm not sure if that plays in your favour or not.

Mix 1

This whole mix flowed very nicely from the beginning right through to the very end. In a way it maybe flowed too nicely because it seemed like I was listening to one track but I was halfway through the mix before I noticed any change. As mentioned, though, this is partly down to my lack of knowledge of the genre and the tracks.

The energy level was just right - not too hectic but not too laid back either.

The one word that springs to mind when thinking back about this mix is professional. I wish my mixing was as tight as this ;-)

Mix 2

Again I don't know any of the tracks but it was easier to spot the transitions because the mixing wasn't as tight as mix 1. In fact there were a couple of places where I'd go so far as to say it was pretty bad. At least I knew you weren't using the synch button in Traktor ;-)

Like mix 1 you got the energy and flow of the mix spot on. As the person above mentioned I'd like the tracklists afterwards if possible.

Winner

For me I really enjoyed both mixes and would have liked to have listened to longer sets from both of you. However the technical side of mix 1 sets it above the other one. I normally put more emphasis on track selection and the flow of a mix over the technical aspects but in this case the mixing is the only thing I can use to differentiate between the two, so for that reason mix 1 gets my vote.

Well done to you both. You've inspired me to listen to this genre more than I currently do.

aaron altar
02-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Mix 1- Very tight mixing, good track selection, good transitions and good progressions (slow build of energy throughout) through tracks. Only fault I really hear is it comes in a little hot at times and overpowers the outgoing track a little too quickly. Great overall mix though and I would gladly listen to a full set of this.

Mix 2- Mixes are a little loose at times, track selection isn't quite as good for my taste, progression is pretty good (energy drops a little at times and I don't feel the last track really fit the rest of the mix) and transitions are decent except the drops are muddy. Not a bad mix but for my ears I prefer Mix 1.

I voted for Mix 1 but good job by both of you.

aristotle511
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
not as a in-depth description, but i leaned more towards the first mix

ChrisHynds
02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
I will dish out rep after work, to everyone that has voted so far :) Thanks for taking the time out to listen and vote guys :tup:

CamDaze
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Listened to mix 1 yesterday, and I just started Mix 2. I already love how different peoples' ideas of "deep progressive" are in this tourney. It may make it a little easy to tell who's who in the next round :)

Will edit with a vote in about an hour. I can tell this is going to be a close one.

EDIT: Mix 2 gets points for style and originality. I liked that it went darker and moodier than the others in this tourney. That said, Mix 1 was better overall. Mix 2 had a few beatmatch issues toward the end, but mix 1 was pretty polished throughout and kept a solid flow throughout.

Big ups to you both.

JackStalk
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Listened to both of them today. I found mix 1 was much cleaner mixing and had a better overall vibe. It was super tight compared to mix 2. I vote mix 1.

DJ Difficult
03-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Listening right now...

DJ Difficult
03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I liked mix #2's dark vibe and it was almost flawless mixing. Little drifting but nothing big. In some other battle it might have a change but not in this because mix #1 was a bomb! One of the best mixes i've heard in a long time, thanks for that!
So my vote goes for #1

Rad
03-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I voted for mix one.

It sounds very polished, very professional, almost like a mix CD.
I could not hear any flaws in any of the transitions.

Mix two had a very nice dark vibe to it, and was a lot more varied (in a postive way) than mix one.
I enjoyed listening to mix number two more, but voting purely on technical skill, it has to be mix one.
Oh, the female vocal track near the end of mix two did not fit the mix very well I think.

Still, both very good mixes.

ChrisHynds
03-07-2013, 02:51 AM
I just noticed this has ended,

I was Mix 1 :)

Thanks to every one that took the time and effort to listen and vote, Im surprised we got as many as we did.

Thanks to Delta for putting up a good set.

Ill dish out some more Rep to everyone that voted

:tup:

Delta V
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Congrats ChrisHynds good set, that's what I get for waiting till the last minute!