PDA

View Full Version : Proper Cue Point Juggling?

DJ Nada
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
So last night I tried cue point juggling. Didn't quite get it down, and I think people were a little weirded out by it. So... How do I do this properly? I set a cue on the kick and hat, then make sure the track that's being juggled is slower than the playing track. I use a LPD8 pad controller to knock out a beat. What do I need to focus on to perfect this?

Vekked
02-24-2013, 02:48 AM
cue point... juggling?

HBBoogie
02-24-2013, 03:54 AM
You should probably use a kick and snare instead. The snare will keep the time signature, while the kick will be allowed to be more syncopated.

You can use a hi hat too, but at least one of them has to keep the 4/4 time signature, otherwise it starts to sound like shit.

Sigma
02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
What is cue point juggling?

Without sounding too much like some chin stroker, lol, I think certain terms should not be extended to incorporate other things and "juggling" is one of them. If you're just tapping away at cue buttons, you're not juggling, even if it might have a similar sound to it. Calling it "juggling" waters the term down and that's not a good thing.

DJ Nada
02-24-2013, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VCI2oeALU
I'm not the one that invented the term "cue point juggling." Take it up with Ean Golden.

Sigma
02-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Post some audio/video of you doing it. The name of it aside, it's hard to say where you're going wrong from your description.

Vekked
02-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Yea cue point "juggling" is such an awful/confusing name. Especially since it's basically just finger drumming which has existed since at least MPCs, lol.

ANYWAYS, (hopefully I'm understanding your issue right), if you can produce just make a track and put a kick, hat, and snare all each like 4 beats apart... so just those 3 notes but spaced out. Load into Traktor/Serato, cue point each note. Google "online metronome" set it to like 80BPM or so, and start drumming out a slow hip-hop sounding beat. If you're JUST hitting cue points, you can use both hands and alternate between them for each note. If using 1 hand, use 2-3 fingers alternating. But yea, just start drumming over a metronome, do it for hours, make sure you're hitting the beats. Try it on a speed you're comfortable with first, and then once you "master" that speed, move it down 5 BPM or so. Master that speed, and move it down. Go down to like 60BPM at least. Once you have the control at slow speeds, start moving up the same way and try to go faster while keeping on beat and clean.

Alternatively to producing a beat with a kick/hat/snare if you don't know how, find a slow track with bare drums spaced out, like some dubstep track. Pitch it down as much as you can without it sounding too awful, and cue point a kick/hat/snare and repeat the above. The main thing is you want isolated sounds to learn with. Hopefully this helps and I understood what you were trying to do.

DJ Nada
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks Vekked, that's exactly what I was looking for.