PDA

View Full Version : Pitch issue 1200 mk2

denno_uk
02-22-2013, 07:18 AM
Hi guys,

just a smally question on a pitch issue i'm having;

Just got myself some used 1200's mk2 and no idea on how old they are or when they were serviced etc. I watched a video on youtube of how to calibrate them to 0.0% and to 6%, to which the video said that if i've calibrated to both of them then the rest should all be calibrated too. On mine, that's not the case...

0.0% is on
6.0% is on

if i bring the pitch control all the way down to -8.0% its on(but does flutter from -7.9% to -8.1%..is this normal?) but when i bring it to +8.0% it's actually telling me on serato that its +9.5%!

Also on the -% side of things nothing is calibrated up to -8.0%, to get it to -3.3%(dots to stay still) its more like -4.2% on the slider.

Can anyone help me please? From what I've read I'm not sure whether I have to replace the full pitch control or not.

Thanks in advance!!

Panotaker
02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm no expert, but I believe you adjust the pitch control so it only has one zero, at the center. If you move the pitch and it has a zero some place else, you have two zeros and you need to adjust it. If your dots don't stand still at -3.3%, and you try to adjust it, you can adjust it, but then you will have two zeros. So basically, you adjust it for one zero, in the center, and forget about everything else, assuming your pitch control is not erratic. I have one early 1200 that my dots stand still at 2% and 4%. It works fine. On my newer 1200's, the dots stand still around 3% and 6%. Although the pitch controls are the same, the circuit board that the pitch control mounts on are different on the older 1200's compared to the newer 1200's. Are you having the same problem on both 1200"s? If you have one table working right, try swapping pitch controls and see what happens.

Estacy
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
my 3.3% dots stand still at +2 on the pitchfader, and the fader is good. So it doesn't really matter that much, it should be somewhat close. the 6% should match on the fader and the platter, and there should be no double zero. If thats the case, the pitch is fine.
What really matters is if you can mix on them.

DjLiquitATL
02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
look up viper frank on youtube...it is very rare that you will ever get a perfectly calibrated 1200 2nd hand... it is always better to just pay $10.00 and install a new fader b/c most people don't use dust covers and they are filthy...

that being said if you do not want to replace them you need to follow viper franks instructions on calibration. it's not as easy as he makes it look though... I work on 1200s all the time and I can get 0 & 6 adjusted easy BUT 3.3 I can only get within .5% of where it should be...

3.3 is not a big deal...what I do is set the zero point, calibrate the 6% point then get a sharpie and mark the adjusted so I know where calibration point is at all times THEN since everything is DVS now i max out the pitch range ~12-14%

If your dvs is showing a different % then if definitly is out of wack BUT have no fear, that's what your ear is for...pitch isn't really a big issue unless you are using them live for tone style mixing...in my experience, if you know how to solder, do yourself a favor and replace the fader, then calibrate after...OR find a NEW stock assembly

DjLiquitATL
02-22-2013, 09:17 AM
and might I add most the new pitch calibrations are not accessble from the bottom side of the table...most the time I hang mine outside side of turntable during calibration

DTR
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
It's important on Mk2s that the zero point on the fader lines up with the zero point on the scale, otherwise you end up with two zero points. That is all that is important. If 8% on the scale isn't really 8% according to Serato, it's irrelevent. As long as it's not well off, it will not affect the deck's function or your ability to mix with it. It is common for the scale not to match up with what the fader is actually set to.

edit: sorry, just noticed that LiquitATL has already said all of this.

DjLiquitATL
02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I always buy replacement pitch faders no matter what, remove click, remove quartz lock, and calibrate