PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards, Drum Pads, or Neither for Music Production

justhansel
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
When using Ableton or any other DAW, does using a keyboard or drum pad make it easier to make music?

Also, Do you have more creativity with using equipment or is using the program itself enable enough creativity?

Elliottt
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Depends on your workflow... i couldnt work without a keyboard for entering midi data for melody/chord progression ect but I tend to program my drums with a step sequencer so I hardly use my pads

the4thImpulse
02-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Depends on your workflow... i couldnt work without a keyboard for entering midi data for melody/chord progression ect but I tend to program my drums with a step sequencer so I hardly use my pads
I am the same way, its all personal preference and you just have to try it for yourself. If you have ever played piano then likely you will want a keyboard.

drop1
02-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm the same. I program my drums but find a keyboard of some sort invaluable for working out melodies.

Wurli
02-22-2012, 11:39 PM
For me, the keyboard is also a must

elctromn
02-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Keyboard is great for figuring out melodies and chords. I have a pad but I don't really use it unless I'm making more downtempo stuff.

mostapha
02-23-2012, 04:59 AM
I say use both, but I suck at playing keyboard, so I mostly use Maschine's keyboard mode or it's pads, sampling synth sounds (as chords) into specific hits that are on individual pads.

I couldn't do drums without good pads. It only takes a week or so of practice to get good enough to not need quantization unless you should be using a step sequencer for those parts anyway.

Manu
02-23-2012, 09:16 AM
both are useful. For those on a budget: the guitar hero drum kit actually works. It's not great but you can map it using relevant software...

TopangaS2k
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Its really up to you. I personally love having a keyboard and drum pads around since I feel it makes the music just come more naturally.
My friend however just uses his laptop and Reason5 without any midi keyboard or pads and the tracks ive heard him produce are way better than mine and i have a ton of gear compared to him. All in all, the creativity will ultimatley come from you but if you do have a keyboard around, itll just make your life a bit easier.

login
02-23-2012, 11:11 AM
keyboard yes, and step sequencer, I haven't tried pads the ones in my controller suck

drumpusher
02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Both. With the drum pads I have a DD-55 for more natural open/closed hi hat work and an lpd8 for convenience.

justhansel
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, can anyone recommend any good websites that sell music production equipment?

mostapha
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
google.com/shopping, amazon.com, or bhphotovideo.com. Seriously.

if you don't know exactly what you want, guitarcenter.com, musiciansfriend.com, zzounds.com, sweetwater.com, etc..

TheFrenchWay
02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
In my opinion having a Midi controller keyboard is essential to creating a good overall song. I can not see myself punching in notes all the time.
Drum pad is optional I would say, depending if you are comfortable rhythmically.

So the answer from me is: Yes a midi controller keyboard is a must in good production.

Some of them out there are very cheap. I bought the first generation of the M-Audio Oxygen 49 for not much a few years a ago and that thing still sits proudly in my studio on top of a MOX6.

zaxl
02-24-2012, 08:54 AM
i've written a lot of music strictly using a mouse and piano roll window. i've never had a problem writing this way, but it takes a good deal of extra work with the note velocities to make things sound human and interesting. a lot of my older music sounds like robot turds.

i recently acquired a midi keyboard, and it's made things much more enjoyable for me. i wish i would have bought one sooner. it's really loosened up my drum programming. my controller doesn't have pads, i just drum on the keys.

i think if you have a percussion background you could really benefit from drum pads. if you don't already drum, you might not find them to be very useful.