PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for up****** music forum & subgenre descriptions

ilya
02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Just some ideas, would be nice if other people chimed in too with their thoughts. I'll try to reserve my thoughts for categories I'd like to think I have some sort of grasp on and I probably have nothing of value to add for trance, drum & bass, or breakbeats.

House
Currently: Funky House, Hard House, Commercial House, Tribal House, Prog House, Electro House
Suggestion: Deep, Progressive, Tribal, Tech-House, Hard, Acid
1. "Funky" house is removed as the term is much more of a stylistic descriptor of a track's groove that applies individually to many of the subgenres listed. For example, many tracks that fall into house proper can be considered funky or 'jackin' to begin with; in contrast to subgenres like tech-house or progressive where funk takes a back seat to a more rigid or straight groove.
2. Electrohouse is removed for redundancy, already exists as a subgenre in the Electro forum.
3. Commercial house is moved to the Electro forum. In my understanding, commercial house largely consists of electro house-influenced mixes of pop/commercial songs.
4. Deep house is added as it's generally considered its own, unique category (see: popular distributors such as Beatport, Juno).
5. Acid house is added to distinguish between acid (techno) and acid house; acid house is currently homeless :(

Techno
Currently: Funky Tek, Acid Tek, Hardcore Tek, Tek-House
Suggestion: Acid, Minimal, Electro, Industrial/Noise, Hardcore, Dub Techno
1. Funky is removed, see justification from the house section. Don't think I've ever seen/heard the term used as a subgenre anyway.
2. Tek-House is removed, redundant to tech-house in the House section.
3. Minimal is added: Widely accepted sub-genre of techno, both in popular culture with labels like M_nus and more modern incarnations (i.e. the Berghain sound/Ostgut Ton) and amongst major distributors.
4. Dub Techno is added: Another major sub-genre that could use listing.
5. Electro is added: Easy way to distinguish between modern usage of the term (electrohouse, fidget, etc). The term also encompasses the sound much more closely related to techno (Drexciya, Aux88, etc.), proto-techno (Kraftwerk, Cybotron, etc.), and techno/electro hybrids (Ghettotech, Jit, etc.).
6. Industrial/Noise is added: Helps group industrial styles of techno (90s New York sound, Surgeon, etc.) into the main category as well as more noise and experimental branches of the genre.

Electro
Currently: Electro, Electro House, Fidget, Indie Dance
Suggestion: Electro House, Fidget, Indie Dance, Commercial House
1. Electro is removed and placed in the Techno forum, reasoning above.
2. Commercial house is brought over from the House forum, reasoning above.

Dubstep
Currently: Dubstep, UK Garage, Breakstep, Grime
Suggestion: Grime, Garage/2-Step, Juke, UK Funky
1. Breakstep is removed, not a very widely used term and can be considered as part of 2-step/proto-dubstep.
2. 2-Step is added to Garage to clarify the difference between early UK garage (soulful house with a shuffling rhythm) to the 2-step flavor that became a predecessor to dubstep.
3. Juke is added, becoming an increasingly popular form of bass music and in many cases merging with dubstep's stylistic traits.
4. UK Funky is added, also a pretty major and closely related genre to dubstep that could use listing.

Proposal for Disco Forum
I think it's pretty safe to say that disco, in many forms, has been undergoing a significant, international revival in both the dance music community and amongst mainstream listeners. Here are a few of the major reasons I think potentially justify the creation of a new area. Many of these points are simply reiterations from another thread and a more thorough discussion on the topic can be found here: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?192-disco-italo-cosmicdisco-library-music-early-electro-synthpop-edits-balearic-subforum
1. Popular/cross-over appeal: Outfits and producers like LCD Soundsystem, Chromeo, Holy Ghost!, Aeroplane, Cut/Copy, and Tensnake have achieved a fair amount of success in the commercial festival scene, radio play, and receive coverage in mainstream music publications. Their sounds are typically described as 'Nu-Disco' or synthpop; all are admittedly and very heavily influenced by the disco sound in general.

2. Current appeal with DJs: Some of the most memorable and biggest chart-topping hits, both amongst more commercially-inclined and 'underground' DJs over the past few years have been disco tracks. Todd Terje, Metro Area, and again - Tensnake, act as some very obvious examples here. Aside from more electronic dance-oriented communities, disco remains a staple for wedding and event DJs, hip-hop/breaks DJs, and filter house aficionados. Edits/re-edits are becoming more as well and injecting a lot of older songs with new-found popularity.

3. Technically requires its own category: Disco is incredibly broad - unarguably broader than dubstep, electro and drum n' bass, all of which have their own forum. Everything from 70's Philly soul to HiNRG are direct forms of disco music. Disco can also be heavily electronic (italo, synthpop), mostly non-electronic (soul, balearic) or a combination of both (boogie, cosmic). For more on this point, I've gone through and explained some of the sub-genres in greater detail in the thread linked to above.

Sub-Genre Suggestions: Nu-Disco, Boogie, Synthpop, Italo, Cosmic, Balearic, Edits, *Disco House
*I can see just as much reason to place Disco House in the House forum but ultimately, the sub-genre relies just as much on disco samples as it does on other house production techniques.

Keep in mind these are only one person's opinions and I have no illusion that everyone feels similarly about the structure of the music forums. I do, however, genuinely feel that these suggestions could be helpful in removing redundancy/overlap between the music categories, 'modernizing' the way we list sub-genres, and just generally better clarifying what-goes-where for new members. Again, any feedback or additional input from other forum members would be awesome!

Stripe
02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
how dare you suggest something :argh:

:P

I seriously love feedback on the site, enough feedback on things make me agree :) Its a site for the community, while we may not agree to everything suggested. This is a more than valid statement for some rewording :D

commercial house is not electro.. commercial house should fall into the deleted threads area :)

Stripe
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Also, you should edit the 1st post above with some points towards a disco area ;)

I am sure some househeads would be glad to part with it.

ilya
02-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Also, you should edit the 1st post above with some points towards a disco area ;)

Updated with a basic overview and link to the other thread :)

-J
02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm not completely sold on the idea of Disco having it's own genre area (I'm not shooting it down mind you)... it might explode into adding forums for genres like Funk and even Latin where the rhythmic concepts and overall basic styles are common in dance music played by DJs (worth noting, Disco is very heavily influenced by both those genres).

I personally hate the genre game. My band plays tunes with latin, african, rock, funk, and reggae inspired rhythms, so whenever someone asks "what do you play", I'm left struggling to describe it properly. I think having some subgenres for popular styles of the main genres of EDM is a good idea, but new genres pop up or get redefined so frequently, it's almost a losing battle.

Still, we're gonna miss some styles, there's no way around it, so we do kinda want to make sure the descriptions are more general to the genre as a whole than anything.

P.S. As I think about it, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to expand on the genres a bit. There are DJs who play stuff like Reggae, Latin, and old school Funk...

ilya
02-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm not completely sold on the idea of Disco having it's own genre area (I'm not shooting it down mind you)... it might explode into adding forums for genres like Funk and even Latin where the rhythmic concepts and overall basic styles are common in dance music played by DJs (worth noting, Disco is very heavily influenced by both those genres).

I personally hate the genre game. My band plays tunes with latin, african, rock, funk, and reggae inspired rhythms, so whenever someone asks "what do you play", I'm left struggling to describe it properly. I think having some subgenres for popular styles of the main genres of EDM is a good idea, but new genres pop up or get redefined so frequently, it's almost a losing battle.

Still, we're gonna miss some styles, there's no way around it, so we do kinda want to make sure the descriptions are more general to the genre as a whole than anything.

P.S. As I think about it, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to expand on the genres a bit. There are DJs who play stuff like Reggae, Latin, and old school Funk...

I'm 100% with you J, it's so difficult and many times completely futile to try and divide music by genre. There's also no question that Latin music and especially funk and soul heavily defined early disco. But then again disco begot house, electro & punk begot techno, techno begot drum & bass. Fitting everything where it 'should' really becomes a never-ending cycle of genealogy no matter what. Obviously, I think you're right though - it could be helpful to expand on the genres we currently have available; funk, dub, reggae certainly never went away amongst DJs and although I know pretty much nothing about Latin music I'd assume it's a similar case. The only reason I bring up disco in particular is because I think has been having a really big revival in the dance music community. Whether that sentiment is shared amongst enough members to justify a new forum, I don't know (but I do hope so).

ilya
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
On that note, do you think itd be ok to post something in the general forum directing people here & asking them to give their opinions on adding new genre forums/renaming the subgenres in the ones we currently have?

-J
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm 100% with you J, it's so difficult and many times completely futile to try and divide music by genre. There's also no question that Latin music and especially funk and soul heavily defined early disco. But then again disco begot house, electro & punk begot techno, techno begot drum & bass. Fitting everything where it 'should' really becomes a never-ending cycle of genealogy no matter what. Obviously, I think you're right though - it could be helpful to expand on the genres we currently have available; funk, dub, reggae certainly never went away amongst DJs and although I know pretty much nothing about Latin music I'd assume it's a similar case. The only reason I bring up disco in particular is because I think has been having a really big revival in the dance music community. Whether that sentiment is shared amongst enough members to justify a new forum, I don't know (but I do hope so).

Latin music down here is HUGE, the rhythms are highly dance-able, and most of the DJs I've seen out here spin some form of Latin music. And again, there are a bunch of different styles, afro-cuban, cumbia, samba, meringue, etc. Gets pretty head-spinny.

-J
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
On that note, do you think itd be ok to post something in the general forum directing people here & asking them to give their opinions on adding new genre forums/renaming the subgenres in the ones we currently have?

Might not be a bad idea, DJ?

Stripe
02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
isnt this area for site discussions :P

ilya
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
err... i thought this area was for the bar :lush: let's get some discussion going newly/re-registered peeps!

Subprime
02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
WRT the Dubstep section.

UK Funky isn't a very useful term, because as a genre it has died bigtime in the last year or so. Before the old site went down the dubstep forum was getting used mainly to discuss "UK Bass", with very little attention paid to traditional dubstep (half time stuff), to the chagrin of the brosteppers. Perhaps some reflection of this in the sub-genres section.

BuddyUK
02-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Techno
Currently: Funky Tek, Acid Tek, Hardcore Tek, Tek-House
Suggestion: Acid, Minimal, Electro, Industrial/Noise, Hardcore, Dub Techno
1. Funky is removed, see justification from the house section. Don't think I've ever seen/heard the term used as a subgenre anyway.
2. Tek-House is removed, redundant to tech-house in the House section.
3. Minimal is added: Widely accepted sub-genre of techno, both in popular culture with labels like M_nus and more modern incarnations (i.e. the Berghain sound/Ostgut Ton) and amongst major distributors.
4. Dub Techno is added: Another major sub-genre that could use listing.
5. Electro is added: Easy way to distinguish between modern usage of the term (electrohouse, fidget, etc). The term also encompasses the sound much more closely related to techno (Drexciya, Aux88, etc.), proto-techno (Kraftwerk, Cybotron, etc.), and techno/electro hybrids (Ghettotech, Jit, etc.).
6. Industrial/Noise is added: Helps group industrial styles of techno (90s New York sound, Surgeon, etc.) into the main category as well as more noise and experimental branches of the genre.

The Techno section, should really be Techno, Detroit Techno, Minimal Techno, Electro, Dub Techno, Acid Techno and Hard Techno. Tribal and Funky Techno are dead (dump them). also it's TECHNO not 'Tek', pack that in. 80' Industrial should be under other, the same as Belgian New Beat also Surgeon is straight up Techno, not industrial. also why not put IDM under the Techno section.

Also what do you mean by Hardcore? Most of it should really be in the D&B section (i.e. Breakbeat (old Skool) Hardcore and 93 Darkcore). Dutch/UK and Happy Hardcore, Breakcore, Noise or Beatstep should probably be in the Other section unless you want to create a Hardcore Forum as well.

Stripe
02-06-2012, 08:47 AM
The Techno section, should really be Techno, Detroit Techno, Minimal Techno, Electro, Dub Techno, Acid Techno and Hard Techno, Tribal and Funky Techno are dead. also it's TECHNO not 'Tek', pack that in

:shrug: dont know what you are talking about (hit refresh)

:)

Stripe
02-06-2012, 08:55 AM
adjusted the techno, house, and dubstep subgenre descriptions based off feedback from above. any other suggestions ?

moyo wilde
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
i'm with ilya disco should have it's own forum or maybe there should be a post, where people can vote. i think the main argument for disco is not only that it is a genre that is growing at present, but it also has that crate digging/history aspect to it.

side note ilya house begat techno, not punk. detroit kids heading down to the chi to party.

speedjay
02-07-2012, 10:09 PM
how about a hard dance section? (that would include hardstyle, happy hardcore and gabber)

Stripe
02-11-2012, 10:04 AM
bump. any more feedback on this?

Sigma
02-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I think you should maybe order them by popularity - it's a bit early too do that yet though.

Also, having given it some thought I think you should add a top 40 section. I was against this when it was suggested before, but I've changed my mind. People who frequent the hip-hop section are not big top 40 heads and tend to talk about more underground and old school hip-hop. Having top 40 in there annoys some of the existing posters who will reply to threads saying "this is fucking shit!", which in turn puts people off from talking about more commercial top 40 rap. Considering how many DJs are spinning (or having to spin to get work) top 40 stuff, there's very few people actually talking about it - and the same was true on the old site too - and I think that's a big part of the reason why.

Stripe
02-11-2012, 10:28 AM
doh.. we did have a top 40 in the before.. Will add that back today :)