PDA

View Full Version : Went to a local bar, the dj had too much makeup on

fatcatdj
02-19-2013, 02:35 AM
So I went and ate at this place that had a dj after 9 in the bar area, so we go
and check him out. As boring as usual, he's using Serato, occasionally looking up
from his computer (he had 2 1200's) but hey Mr. Dj can you cool it with flanger?

I mean he used flanger on every song. I could have closed my eyes and thought
Paris Hilton was the dj. There's other effects, Poncho. Give the flanger a rest!

Hoping if I step into one of your gigs, you aren't using flanger as much as this guy.
Maybe do a loop?
Have a good gig.

ewe
02-19-2013, 02:41 AM
I don't like flanger, in fact I don't really like any of the effects apart from the filter occasionally. Nothing bugs me more than effects overkill

JackStalk
02-19-2013, 02:48 AM
I use my flanger for Bruce Springsteen

djkvg
02-19-2013, 03:14 AM
not that big of a deal...lol as long as he is beatmatching and smooth transitions, no problem by me. yeah it could get annoying but doesnt make him bad

LiquidFusion
02-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Like Dee Snider too much makeup? Or Boy George?

Galager
02-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Unless it is a female DJ, ANY makeup is too much makeup. Or maybe I am just a little too old school. Either way, no makeup here.

Jamie D Music
02-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Stage makeup can be important if you have a lot of lights on you. Just a touch of foundation can accentuate your facial features and make you look more dynamic which is especially important if you are being filmed or have spotlights on you. Don't worry it won't mean you're a tranny. That only becomes an issue when you start to add mascara, lipstick, eye shadow, bra and panties.

DJzrule
02-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Stage makeup can be important if you have a lot of lights on you. Just a touch of foundation can accentuate your facial features and make you look more dynamic which is especially important if you are being filmed or have spotlights on you. Don't worry it won't mean you're a tranny. That only becomes an issue when you start to add mascara, lipstick, eye shadow, bra and panties.

This. Anyone who has a sense or know-how of production knows that under recording circumstances, some can be a good thing.

As to guys who wear mascara, lipstick, and eyeshadow, to each his own. Not my personal cup of tea.

DJNR
02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Who cares?

Defiance
02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
I dont mind the flanger, but I hate when you can hear it "kick" on, virtual dj/traktor has a distinct kick on sound by default. I like the phaser in itch more as it is 'soft' and still has that fx sound to it as I run it through the sweep.

fatcatdj
02-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Who cares?

Talent, son, talent. Quoting "Office Space" You can get a burger anywhere!
Same thing with mobile jocks---you can hire a mobile jock anywhere, but is he/she talented?

DJ Remax
02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I feel like more places than every are hiring DJ's to spin at places where a Satellite radio would suffice. I am all for one giving dj's more work, but when I am at my local sports bar just trying to have a beer and watch a game I do not need Pitbull's Don't Stop The Party forced down my throat 3 times within an hour and unspeakable volumes.

JackStalk
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I personally absolutely hate that song and refuse to play it unless it is requested.

http://www.tickld.com/images/content/39930.jpg

DJMC
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Chicks love Pitbull. My wife included. (She is hispanic, and loves bald guys.....go figure)

DJ Remax
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I understand the 'live' entertainment appeal to some venues but this kid was worse than a 14 year old girls Ipod on automix... I ended up having to leave the bar because I couldn't take it.

Andrew B
02-21-2013, 11:57 AM
What place was it?

djkvg
02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
i feel like we shouldn't bash on other djs... i mean there are areas to improve on... but creating these type of threads are unnecessary...