PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the most math-intensive "school" of DJing?

Bonneromics
02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
This is a question I've pondered for quite some time. I'm thinking anything dealing with harmonic intervals and musical keys and tuning pitch, etc. would require a commanding knowledge of musical math skills. :D

-J
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
As a DJ? Counting/subdividing beats and trying to mix songs that are in different time signatures.

DJs don't have to worry about cramming weird numbers of notes into a measure, or anything like that, and really, intervals, keys, tuning, etc, don't require any math knowledge other than being able to count.

Manu
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
would require a commanding knowledge of musical math skills. :D

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzd1mcoWug1qzvqipo1_500.png

Try getting started with MAX/MSP and SuperCollider. Sample editing software like Spear might amuse you too.

Bonneromics
02-27-2012, 05:49 AM
As a DJ? Counting/subdividing beats and trying to mix songs that are in different time signatures.

DJs don't have to worry about cramming weird numbers of notes into a measure, or anything like that, and really, intervals, keys, tuning, etc, don't require any math knowledge other than being able to count.

Tuning and intervals are just about counting?!? Um...I don't think so. You've got Pythagorean intervals, rational intervals, equal-temperament intervals, etc. And tuning pitch (A-440, A-432, etc.) is very important, because adjusting the pitch control gives the musical *tones* a slightly different aesthetic quality, just as the changed tempo gives the beat a slightly different quality. Higher tuning pitches are called "bright" while lower pitches are "dark."

Synergy
02-27-2012, 05:58 AM

Try getting started with MAX/MSP and SuperCollider. Sample editing software like Spear might amuse you too.

this is fucking funny!

Hygro
02-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Tuning and intervals are just about counting?!? Um...I don't think so. You've got Pythagorean intervals, rational intervals, equal-temperament intervals, etc. And tuning pitch (A-440, A-432, etc.) is very important, because adjusting the pitch control gives the musical *tones* a slightly different aesthetic quality, just as the changed tempo gives the beat a slightly different quality. Higher tuning pitches are called "bright" while lower pitches are "dark."

That's nice. I can't imagine you are very happy during gigs.

:P

mostapha
02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

In a technical sense, yes. You're right.

But there are 2 factors that you're ignoring.

Humans have ears.
DJs have headphones.

If it sounds like crap in your headphones, pick a different track. Otherwise, stop worrying and play. Harmonic mixing is a joke.

dlove
02-27-2012, 07:03 AM
This is a question I've pondered for quite some time. I'm thinking anything dealing with harmonic intervals and musical keys and tuning pitch, etc. would require a commanding knowledge of musical math skills. :D

I can barely count, and I do alright :P

de.j.l
02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
In a technical sense, yes. You're right.

But there are 2 factors that you're ignoring.

Humans have ears.
DJs have headphones.

If it sounds like crap in your headphones, pick a different track. Otherwise, stop worrying and play. Harmonic mixing is a joke.

word to that.

mostapha
02-27-2012, 08:39 AM
I guess I should have probably added that DJs are humans, as there is a logical gap in my post. But I'm sure you guys get the point.

sense
02-27-2012, 08:58 AM

this plus music is already structured there is nothing to formulate.

Hausgeist
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
DJs are humans

Uh, negative. I am a meat popsicle.

mostapha
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Good movie.

KLH
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
... Yeah, but what does Math have to do with making it FUNKY???

GOTTA HAVE THAT FUNKY BEAT, bro!

-KLH

Dj_4-$hure
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Gotta have that FUNK!

MeowMix
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Gotta have that FUNK!

Gotta have THAT!

Finnish_Fox
02-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Counting? :confused:

-J
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM

As a gigging musician (musician, not DJ), I tune to a tuner, and make the guitarist tune to me so we're in the same relative pitch, considering different tuners have different accuracy. Western humans prefer A-440, so 99.9% of musicians tune to A-440, and if they don't, it's typically a half step flat.

You also know what I do if I notice a tuner is sharp are flat when it's set to A-440? I press a button to step it up or down a hertz until it's in tune. Oh, and when I'm learning songs, and I notice me being in tune isn't the same as the recording (old recordings typically are a few semitones off, especially motown tunes because of the temps in hitsville u.s.a were ridiculous in the summer), I use the transposition program I use to bump it to the proper tune.

As a DJ, you don't need to know all that crap... even as a pro musician you don't need to. For example, the aforementioned Pythagorean intervals contain such examples as the perfect 5th, (which is 5 notes from the root of the key!), and the perfect 4th (4 notes!), but then according to this handy dandy chart I dug up, there are augmented, and dimished values of different chords. Shockingly, you don't need to know math to understand those chord structures.

The bottom line is you're kidding yourself if you think you need to be a math wiz to deal with music. It's about how it sounds, not how it's mathematically put together.

-J
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
... Yeah, but what does Math have to do with making it FUNKY???

GOTTA HAVE THAT FUNKY BEAT, bro!

-KLH

You have to be able to calculate the proper beat in which you should center the tune around... it takes some skill, and years of mathematical study and understanding... but after years of practice, I finally understood what some crazy dude with a giant hat, weird shaped bass guitar, and funky glasses meant.

“It all comes back to 'The One'"

Hygro
02-28-2012, 04:22 AM
As a gigging musician (musician, not DJ),

Do you ever play that cover of Deadmau5's Moar Ghosts and stuff done by that one guy. Wonder Stevie or something? I think he renamed it, too.

Era 7
02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
would be pretty odd standing in the booth with a calculator wouldn't it? :teef:

Manu
02-28-2012, 04:30 AM
As a gigging musician (musician, not DJ), I tune to a tuner, and make the guitarist tune to me so we're in the same relative pitch, considering different tuners have different accuracy. Western humans prefer A-440, so 99.9% of musicians tune to A-440, and if they don't, it's typically a half step flat.

I saw a bunch of guys covering this last year during a live event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32X-ieCav-M

They were pitched at 440 while the tune itself hovers around 448 -450 . The dude behind the keyboard was playing along to some of the original samples, it was cringe-worthy to say the least...

Original
02-28-2012, 05:20 AM

Every single time you post something you contribute nothing to the thread.

Hygro
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Actually he used that picture to convey that A) such knowledge was unnecessary and B) that the knowledge at best would be useless, if not counter productive.

Minksy
02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I can vouch for that.