PDA

View Full Version : THRU OR HIGH PASS?? Help!

DJ SCOTTY FATS
02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Hey everybody, I'm running 2 powered ev sxa tops thru 1 jbl powered sub. Do I set the switch on the sub for THRU or HIGH PASS?

Al Poulin
02-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Hey everybody, I'm running 2 powered ev sxa tops thru 1 jbl powered sub. Do I set the switch on the sub for THRU or HIGH PASS?

hi-pass if you want most of the bass handled by the sub and mostly mids and highs sent to your tops. (this takes stress off of your tops and will let them get louder before limiting)

THRU basically means the signal coming from your mixer to the sub will be the same full range signal sent to your tops.

Al

DJ SCOTTY FATS
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Will the tops take any bass? Doing a gig for about 150 people. My sub is rated 300 rms. so running high pass should be ok?

DJ SCOTTY FATS
02-16-2013, 08:35 AM
So basically I'll go from mixer to sub (sub set to high pass), to speakers. Correct?

Windows 95
02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
correct

Al Poulin
02-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Will the tops take any bass? Doing a gig for about 150 people. My sub is rated 300 rms. so running high pass should be ok?

If ever you find the sub is really not putting out enough bass, you can always switch to thru to see if the extra bass from the tops help any...

Al

Incognito
02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
If ever you find the sub is really not putting out enough bass, you can always switch to thru to see if the extra bass from the tops help any...

Al

Then you're opening the potential for a whole other can of worms...

DJ SCOTTY FATS
02-16-2013, 11:01 AM
What do you mean by another can of worms?

Incognito
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
What do you mean by another can of worms?

Playing your tops in the same frequecy range as your subs can cause cancellations as well as phase issues thus potentially make the system sound worse rather then better.

light-o-matic
02-16-2013, 11:28 AM
High pass is the right way to do it.. always. If you can't achieve enough bass that way, or a good balance..then you need more sub, or something's not set right. If it happens to be the case that your tops totally outgun your subs, and you have no option of getting more equipment at that moment.. and you need to combine the bass of both.. yea, sometimes doing it wrong is your only option. But it's not going to sound as good as it should that way and you will def not get the output that you could get from those tops.

Al Poulin
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM

If it doesn't improve things, he can just switch it back to hi-pass. No harm in trying... I have a feeling this is a JRX or Eon sub, so likely more subs or a better sub would be needed to keep up with the EVs.

Al

Incognito
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
If it doesn't improve things, he can just switch it back to hi-pass. No harm in trying... I have a feeling this is a JRX or Eon sub, so likely more subs or a better sub would be needed to keep up with the EVs.

Al
Again, you need to instruct the proper way of doing things first before recommending band aid last resort solutions as a first strike go to solution. If he is lacking in bass with a sub & the top high passed he needs to add more subs or better yet try better sub placement, check wiring or processor settings because if you're getting more bass from your tops then your subs then something is wrong.

Al Poulin
02-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Again, you need to instruct the proper way of doing things first before recommending band aid last resort solutions as a first strike go to solution. If he is lacking in bass with a sub & the top high passed he needs to add more subs or better yet try better sub placement, check wiring or processor settings because if you're getting more bass from your tops then your subs then something is wrong.

Agreed. I tend to answer in the moment as if the situation were happening right now (and with the OP's current equipment), but don't always explain how it should be done ideally. Thanks for pointing it out. I will certainly try to clarify and elaborate more in the future.

Al