PDA

View Full Version : 3 deck mixing

Ferryman
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Using purely vinyl; I've just started after 4.5 years of mixing on the conventional 2 decks. It's a bit of a head fuck - but loads of fun and very satisfying when it works.

Anyone else here regularly mix out on 3 decks. Any tips for a newbie to it?

Cheeeeeers :)

Manu
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Yes, watch some Carl Cox videos, the old ones... When you're done watching, you'll think some more about head f***s.

blackfoxbb
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
are u aware that vdj allows u to mix up to 6 decks uhm?

g-sep
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM

But he's using just straight vinyl, which means no loops, so dropping that third track has to be more troublesome than just using a loop. Also, I have no idea what I would use 6 decks for, let alone more than 3, but thats just me.

Era 7
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM

not sure if trolling...

JuxtaPoser
02-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Do it like this

7bLanIfR13A

mrkleen
02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Whatever you do, you need to be sure to select more minimal, percussive tracks for the 3rd deck...as 3 full tracks, full of instruments in sure to sound rough.

Ferryman
02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Whatever you do, you need to be sure to select more minimal, percussive tracks for the 3rd deck...as 3 full tracks, full of instruments in sure to sound rough.

Getting to realise this very quickly! Need more vinyl - the psychology behind 2 deck mixing is very different to 3 decks, in that sense. I'm thinking the 3rd needs to be minimally intrusive and carry the whole thing along.

But he's using just straight vinyl, which means no loops, so dropping that third track has to be more troublesome than just using a loop. Also, I have no idea what I would use 6 decks for, let alone more than 3, but thats just me.

Aye, that's why I mentioned the vinyl thing... no use of modern technology here :lol:

mrkleen
02-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Getting to realise this very quickly! Need more vinyl - the psychology behind 2 deck mixing is very different to 3 decks, in that sense. I'm thinking the 3rd needs to be minimally intrusive and carry the whole thing along

The third track is not always the third track so to speak. Say you have one main track, a second carrying the bassline and a third you are working into the mix. As that third track takes over from track 1, IT becomes the new #1 - and you shortly remove track 1 and THAT become track #3 so to speak

Keep one track as the metronome...and mix the other two around that...and then keep switching the "metronome" track over time.

Raindance Rob
02-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Yes, watch some Carl Cox videos, the old ones... When you're done watching, you'll think some more about head f***s.

forget Coxy & check out DJ GE Real imo he was much better then Carl Cox on three dex, ashame he passed away :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB4lFsLrzf4

dskreet
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
3 1200's here, Vinyl and I do use Serato (but no loops, cues, etc)

http://www.dskreet.net/DJF3decks2.jpg

It all depends, I like to build up, so the first track can have a sick bassline, the second one can have a sick drum pattern and snare, the third can have a sick sax or acid sound or vocal (not just an a cappella).
I don't mix 3 just to say I mix 3, it's all about layering and building up the sound. Too much and it will sound muddy and just too many sounds. When I go 3 records each one has it's role. Find records that can be layered in sounds.

DjDisArm
02-23-2012, 01:09 AM
two's enough for me

Ferryman
02-23-2012, 08:35 AM
3 1200's here, Vinyl and I do use Serato (but no loops, cues, etc)

http://www.dskreet.net/DJF3decks2.jpg

It all depends, I like to build up, so the first track can have a sick bassline, the second one can have a sick drum pattern and snare, the third can have a sick sax or acid sound or vocal (not just an a cappella).
I don't mix 3 just to say I mix 3, it's all about layering and building up the sound. Too much and it will sound muddy and just too many sounds. When I go 3 records each one has it's role. Find records that can be layered in sounds.

that's a nice looking set up man.

I hear you, tried mixing with drum and bass - liquid / minimal stuff is quite nice when you can move between elements of different tracks quite subtly. I also had a stab at some more techy rolling stuff and it sounded horrid.

One things for sure though, this new venture has made me feel that excitement of djing again for the first time. Loving every second - it's nice to be at the stage where I'm fucking up again, so I'll definitely be able to measure the progress and know that I've grown as a DJ :)

Adzm00
02-23-2012, 08:48 AM
The third track is not always the third track so to speak. Say you have one main track, a second carrying the bassline and a third you are working into the mix. As that third track takes over from track 1, IT becomes the new #1 - and you shortly remove track 1 and THAT become track #3 so to speak

Keep one track as the metronome...and mix the other two around that...and then keep switching the "metronome" track over time.

This, great advice.

3 deck mixing is a skill that will improve all your other, matching, phrasing and mixing skills. It is loads of fun :)