PDA

View Full Version : Speaker extension cables

neonpachyderm
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
The recent discussion about patch panels got me to thinking. I've come to the decision that whether I use QSC or Peavey IPRs, I'm going to use two 2-space units so it fits in the existing rack. (I've got a lead on a couple of factory-refurb IPR 1600s, so we'll see what happens, and I've also looked at a couple of used GX-5s.)

Getting to the jacks to plug in speakers is a bit of a trip. There's one small hole on the back of the rack. What I had done is run several short speaker cables out through that hole with couplers to plug my speaker cables into. The problem: The 1/4" couplers at RS are designed for line level, not speaker level. They WORK, but I wouldn't trust them at high-volume, high-wattage levels, much like using an instrument cable for speaker. (The amp upgrades are going to quintuple my power levels, so I'm not really wanting to try to "rig" stuff with this setup.)

My rack is a SKB Roto-Rack. I'm not really comfy with the idea of trying to cut into it to mount a jack panel. (If it were a wood rack, I'd just cut a hole in the side and mount a jack panel to it.)

So what I want to know is if short (10' or less) speaker extension cables (1/4" female to 1/4" male) exist, or will I need to wire these up myself?

Bill Fitzmaurice
02-22-2012, 02:55 PM
So what I want to know is if short (10' or less) speaker extension cables (1/4" female to 1/4" male) exist, or will I need to wire these up myself?They do, but they're very dodgy. You really should be using Speakons anyway, they have none of the problems that 1/4 inch do.

neonpachyderm
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
They do, but they're very dodgy. You really should be using Speakons anyway, they have none of the problems that 1/4 inch do.

None of my mains have Speakon jacks (PR15s on top of SP118x subs), but you've got a good point. A 10' Speakon-to-1/4"-female would work as well. That way I can still use my existing 50' leads.

That said, I have heard of people wiring their own Speakon jacks into existing speakers, but that still wouldn't solve the problem of getting to the amp panels.

Next question (related): how difficult is it to cut into a SKB Gig Rig? (Misspoke in first post and said Roto Rack, but same materials.) Putting a Speakon jack panel on the side would speed setup significantly.

Bill Fitzmaurice
02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
how difficult is it to cut into a SKB Gig Rig? Using a hole saw like a hot knife thorough soft butter.

djscrizzle
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
If you have rear rails, it would be a snap to just drop a 2U patching panel in there... As for the cables, you can get Neutrik NLT4FX, and easily make extensions that just lock together. I have a set of Speakon extensions I made in 08, that I can just pop onto a cable to make it longer.

SKB makes rear rails into most of their stuff... As far as I know. You might need to source some 10-32 cage nuts from Ace or another hardware store to do it, but it'll be a LOT cheaper than getting em from SKB.