PDA

View Full Version : what's the washington DC area nightlife really like (dance music)

colione98
02-15-2013, 08:42 AM
I am in the process of moving up to the surrounding DC area from Miami and actually quite looking forward to it. It’s based on a job offer but having lived in the surrounding VA area before, I know what to expect in terms of general day to day living.

However, I have been doing a lot of research. I notice that DC has a lot going on at various clubs but it seems to be low key. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. But it’s just my perception from the outside. Now, don’t get me wrong. I am playing ignorant to the fact as I have absolutely no clue as to how the dance scene is past 2001.
In terms of dance music- I see there are a lot of high commercial acts but mainly at the same clubs such as Glow, armory, and one other major club. These acts are the likes of alesso, hardwell, guetta, all the big synth acts. I rarely see any midline djs. I believe Mark night made it up there but I rarely see midline acts along his caliber being advertised such as The Shapeshifters, Prok & Fitch, defected records, ministry of sound. I always see the djs I follow from the major record labels advertising for LA, Chicago, Canada, Miami, NY. Rarely do I see them posting DC acts.

At the same time, I sense that DC is a baby. I feel that I may be coming into a time where DC may really open up and get into its own.

The vibe here is Miami is heavily influenced by the Europeans such as the german, Russians, Italians, and French. Latin America has a big influence as to why there is massive percussive house sets. Its like an Ibiza on the Space Terrace. Sun in your face, glitter, magic, money…. Its that vibe…

So I am really interested into hearing your take on where DC nightlife is heading..

The Blackest
02-15-2013, 09:04 AM
LOL DC is far from being a baby. Just about every week we have big names coming through here. The days of Armory parties are no more, but we kinda have something similiar to that. There is Echostage/ (http://www.echostage.com/) which has BIG events there just about every week, UHall/ (www.ustreetmusichall.com/) which is owned by DC legend Jesse Tittsworth has shows there every week and a few other venues that I'm forgetting(been taking a break from going out).

DC was the Capital of EDM(at least on the East Coast) from the mid 90s to mid 2000s. We've had every single big name come through here on a regular basis. Some for the first time in America.

The Blackest
02-15-2013, 09:20 AM
BTW, hit me up when you get up here.

Waterbeat
02-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Check out the Transit party flyer on this forum. This weekly Wednesday party is attended by local DJ's and others in the DC music industry and is a good networking opportunity. Each weeks event posted on here.

djlotus
02-16-2013, 02:03 PM
We have everything from local parties to big douche clubs. And have since the early 90's.

As I am older now my favorite spots have changed. I prefer 18th street and U street music hall.

Funky music by locals at 18th and everything from DMC regionals and Dubtribe at U Street.

Since Transit just opened for a higher capacity you should check that out as well. Good local (va) djs and good people all around.

colione98
02-17-2013, 02:31 PM
LOL DC is far from being a baby. Just about every week we have big names coming through here. The days of Armory parties are no more, but we kinda have something similiar to that. There is Echostage/ (http://www.echostage.com/) which has BIG events there just about every week, UHall/ (www.ustreetmusichall.com/) which is owned by DC legend Jesse Tittsworth has shows there every week and a few other venues that I'm forgetting(been taking a break from going out).

DC was the Capital of EDM(at least on the East Coast) from the mid 90s to mid 2000s. We've had every single big name come through here on a regular basis. Some for the first time in America.

Thanks for the reply blackest and all others- I will def hit you up. Im really looking forward to it.

When I said baby I mean that its like a little secret with quality and there are things happening that really don't get hyped like a miami or new york. I see Tekka doing its thing at Lima. I see the venues are very pleasant and people, especially local djs are very open and all about sharing. You can't buy a dj friend in other places...

Many the djs I follow from germany, spain, italy, they post gigs for miami, chicago, and now starting in LA. I don't hear DC thrown around too much from some of the following

Crazibiza
Prok & Fitch
Jesse Garcia
Peter Gelderblom
Syke & Sugerstarr
The Shapeshifters
Milk & Sugar
Tom Novy
D.O.N.S
David Penn