PDA

View Full Version : JBL PRX618s Vs. 618SXLF

DJHoss
02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Is the 11 HZ frequency drop and the crown amp worth the extra $300-$400 over the Regular 618s?

41 HZ vs 30 HZ

Opinions?
Thanks

windspeed36
02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
XLF hands down. I've never heard the standard version but apparently it is complete crap according to a guy who was on the old forums - djteknovibe. Go the XLF

DJHoss
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
OKay then, I shall get that:tup:

a-mart
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I
ve got the XLF. love it.

bumpyjonas
02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I concur currently have one 618sxlf speaker and very happy with purchase, plan on purchasing second one in early March.

DJJDGator
02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
I concur currently have one 618sxlf speaker and very happy with purchase, plan on purchasing second one in early March.

Bumpy don't you have the prx 718s too. What would you say is the biggest difference between the 718s and the 618xlf?

DJMC
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Bumpy don't you have the prx 718s too. What would you say is the biggest difference between the 718s and the 618xlf?

From what I've heard, the amp spec went up from 800 watts to 1000 watts.

Otherwise, there is not really that much difference between them! I own the PRX 718s and its been fantastic, probably the best sub I've ever used (considering its light 74 pound weight).

bumpyjonas
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
@djdgator for me no significant difference between the 2 models. I really liked my prx615 tops so I wanted matching bottoms from the standpoint of a cleaner appeal. I have a local buyer for the 718s and will be selling at end of the month.

DJJDGator
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
@djdgator for me no significant difference between the 2 models. I really liked my prx615 tops so I wanted matching bottoms from the standpoint of a cleaner appeal. I have a local buyer for the 718s and will be selling at end of the month.

Thanks for the reply

bumpyjonas
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
No problem I saw your question in the mobile section as well....

a-mart
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Quick question, I have the 618sxlf and another guy wants to go 50/50 on a prom using his lights and sound and my turntables and computer. He owuld be in charge of lights and sound and i would be doing the actual DJing with my gear. He has a powered harbinger setup with THIS (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-HP118S-Powered-Subwoofer-105471353-i1478660.gc) sub. Can I also bring my sub and put them side by side to increase the bass or would that be detrimental because they're not the same subwoofer?

windspeed36
02-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Quick question, I have the 618sxlf and another guy wants to go 50/50 on a prom using his lights and sound and my turntables and computer. He owuld be in charge of lights and sound and i would be doing the actual DJing with my gear. He has a powered harbinger setup with THIS (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-HP118S-Powered-Subwoofer-105471353-i1478660.gc) sub. Can I also bring my sub and put them side by side to increase the bass or would that be detrimental because they're not the same subwoofer?

With 2 different model subs it would sound like crap. That harbinger sub also sounds like crap. I'd just take your XLF along and convince him to use your sub and if you can your tops.

a-mart
02-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I think I can definitely make an argument for the sub. I'm gonna have a hard time with the tops though. We'll see. Thanks for the answer.

ampnation
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
From what I've heard, the amp spec went up from 800 watts to 1000 watts.

Otherwise, there is not really that much difference between them! I own the PRX 718s and its been fantastic, probably the best sub I've ever used (considering its light 74 pound weight).

I think I would prefer the PRX718S over both of the PRX618 subs for different reasons. vs. the XLF, because of the reported overheating and over the other for the bass extension. I'm not sure how weight compares, but if memory serves 74 lbs is lighter than either of them. It seems the 718 wasn't on the market very long before it was replaced so finding one might be difficult and finding two might be very hard indeed.

a-mart
02-24-2012, 02:40 PM
FWIW, I haven't had any issues with overheating yet with the xlf.

ampnation
02-24-2012, 02:48 PM
With 2 different model subs it would sound like crap. That harbinger sub also sounds like crap. I'd just take your XLF along and convince him to use your sub and if you can your tops.
I concur. I just got rid of a pair of the HX118S passive sub from Harbinger and comparing one of these to an XLF would be like comparing an Opel to a Corvette. The Opel was often considered the poor man's Corvette because it had a somewhat similar look albeit smaller, but behind the wheel nobody would ever mistake an Opel for a Corvette. Using the Harbinger with the XLF would be about as smart as strapping the Opel to the side of a Corvette and assuming the Vette would benefit from the added horsepower.

ampnation
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
FWIW, I haven't had any issues with overheating yet with the xlf.

Yeah, over time I'm starting to back off that attitude. When they first came out there were a number of reports but I haven't seen any lately and have had several people report about them having no overheating problems. Also, I did see posts here, before the great djforums blackout of 2011, a report that alleged JBL was aware of the issue and had issued a fix going fwd and on warranty repaired cabs. So perhaps, the overheating issue is largely a thing of history now.

If this is the case, I think it illustrates that pro audio manufacturers need to pay closer attention to the lesson to be garnered from Tylenol's handling of a tampering scandal in 1982. http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall02/susi/tylenol.htm
In Johnson & Johnson's case, they weren't responsible for the "faulty" product but they still took a huge financial hit in order to restore confidence in their brand and it worked. People came to understand that Johnson & Johnson wouldn't just stand around and let people be in danger without taking positive steps to avoid that danger.

Similarly, the reputation of pro audio equipment can be boosted greatly if they take ownership of problems experienced by end users. I would love to see JBL and other manufacturers employ some sort of voluntary recall program where they tracked the serial numbers of products produced and would offer a fix or replacement when appropriate based on those serial numbers just like car makers do. Usually people's lives aren't at risk if an audio product fails, but in the case of fly rigging or fire hazard, they could. But recalls for items with high degrees of failure should be in there too.

To be sure, I think short of this level, JBL does do better than some in this regard but Mackie really dropped the ball a while back, and whether or not they've fixed their problems, I will hold off on buying China-era Mackie products for much longer because of it.

By contrast, QSC seems to be the king of mid level product customer service and I will not only continue to prefer QSC, I'll pay a premium to own QSC.

bumpyjonas
02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I have used my prx 615's and my 618s-xlf at several events(when 1 sub is necessary) I have not experienced any overheating or thermal shutdown issues. However they do run very hot.

DJTJ
02-24-2012, 10:15 PM
^same once i did a house party for over 8 hours (after party homecoming) and i ran a fan for just a little just incased but never had a problem