PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Collect Deposits?

D Dubb
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Do you usually meet with the client or have it mailed?
And do you do the same with contracts?

Stirred
02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
In person... paypal invoices... mail... whatever is convenient for them.

I love music
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
either cash or bank transfer

jazzyj
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Soon and Often. :)

I always try to make the contract/deposit a good reason for the face-to-face meeting, although I want the f2f regardless. But they can pay the deposit in cash, certified check, credit card, or paypal.

D Dubb
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess what I'm really trying to say is would it be ok to ask the client to mail me the deposit since it would be more convenient for me?

jazzyj
02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Yes - I think that is fine.

DJMC
02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I get 90% of my RETAINERS by mail.

FYI -- try to get out of the habit of calling it a "Deposit" -- instead consider it "Down Payment" (or retainer).

In many states, the mere use of the word "Deposit" will imply "REFUNDABLE" unless you have it spelled out in the contract (i.e. "deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE").

So the best option is to give it another name. You don't want them cancelling and then going to small claims court for a refund!

Sween
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
In person... paypal invoices... mail... whatever is convenient for them.

^^This.

whiterob
02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
LOVE the advice.. (was supposed to b quoting the advice on calling it a retainer, but I FAIL)

as for mailing or in person, I would tell them either, or get an account with squareup or similar company, and for a small fee you can accept credit card over the phone etc.

Dix
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I get my retainer at contract signing. 99% of the time, that is done face to face. I have on occasion had mom & dad (which lived out of town & sometimes out of state) paying for the wedding. In those cases, since I do not accept out of town checks, it can be by pay pal or money order with the signed contract.

Hope this helps... good luck :)
TC

DJ EZBeats
02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I agree on whatever is easiest for them. In my experience, no one has minded sending a deposit by mail. And in my contract it states exactly "a NONREFUNDABLE deposit of __ is due with this signed contract"

VjQue
02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I get my retainer at contract signing. 99% of the time, that is done face to face. I have on occasion had mom & dad (which lived out of town & sometimes out of state) paying for the wedding. In those cases, since I do not accept out of town checks, it can be by pay pal or money order with the signed contract.

Hope this helps... good luck :)
TC This Right Here Always Face To Face So I Know Who To Look For When The Balance Is Due. If I Take A Check There Date Is Not Inked Till The Check Is Cleared And Its In My Contract.

Sween
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Do You Always Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word? It's A Little Strange...

Roshanbhoj
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah I'm Pretty Sure Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word Is A Girl Thing. It's Not Cute When You Do It Though...

Hygro
02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I have a friend named Rick (not the one on the forums) who is like 6' 3" and 240 pounds. He shows up in a jacked up pick up and has scars on his bicep. He's super friendly, courteous, and polite, but they always give him the money.

edit: you get capitalization like that when you caps every single letter. the forum changes it to that.

bumpyjonas
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Once a client agrees and signs the contract they are required to put down a deposit, I usually have them mail a check by an agreed upon date.

djkvg
02-23-2012, 02:46 AM
i usually get deposits when they sign the contract

Sween
02-23-2012, 07:42 AM
edit: you get capitalization like that when you caps every single letter. the forum changes it to that.

Ahhh, so I see... he's one of those people who likes to SHOUT!

Hygro
02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Ahhh, so I see... he's one of those people who likes to SHOUT!

NUpXfymfZfU

iammongo
02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
When a Client contacts me i send them an information package that includes a contract, a wedding planner, a cover sheet, several business cards that they can give to friends (hopefully :lol:) and a self-addressed postage paid envelope. Makes it very easy for them to send the signed contract and deposit back to me.

No booking is confirmed until a deposit has been recieved.

bestncdjs
02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
20% down

Remaining due two week before wedding...

best move we ever did...

cash/check/paypal

c-hawk
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Do you usually meet with the client or have it mailed?
And do you do the same with contracts?

Deposits based on client preference (either pickup, mailed, or electronic transfer)
Contracts faxed or signed in person at location most convenient for the client