PDA

View Full Version : Do you use master tempo/key lock?

unity03
02-22-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm just wondering, how many of you use master tempo/key lock whether you're using CDs on CDJs, Serato, Traktor, etc?

-J
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm just wondering, how many of you use master tempo/key lock whether you're using CDs on CDJs, Serato, Traktor, etc?

Yea, I did, it's a good practice... even if you're not "mixing in key", songs sound quite bad when they're off and "inbetween" western pitches, so the clashes are more obvious/painful.

Not recommended above a certain pitch change or the artifacting gets pretty bad.

Hausgeist
02-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Nope. Neither my cd players nor my turntables have it.

Manu
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Depends, will avoid it on numark cdplayers because of clippy artifacts beyond 3% pitch. I also sometimes retune the track and lock the key.

DJWhoQE
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I use it all the time -- within bounds, of course. Pitching too high or too low with master tempo on gives you a noticeable reduction in sound quality.

Nick Bike
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
sometimes yes, sometimes no

bernardgregory
02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
you can do that on Serato?

Era 7
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
i used mastertempo when straightup using CDs and now i use keylock in Serato. just an awesome feature if you ask me.

DJ Que Yi
02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes. I use it both VDJ and Serato. Great feature.

RDRCK
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Serato yes, Vinyl no.

Jimanee
02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes as standard, for the reasons mentioned above and because I have all my tracks organised harmonically.

TheBoggler
03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I pretty much religiously turn on keylock, as I pretty much religiously mix harmonically. It's tough to detect the small changes with +- 2bpm, but still. I figure if I've got the ability to do so, why not?

Finnish_Fox
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I use master tempo... seems to make pitch changes less noticeable when I am pitching up/down or adjusting the tracks.

PS. I use vinyl mode.

moyo wilde
03-02-2012, 06:07 AM
i do cause i don't want people to hear me changing tempos.

Chay
03-02-2012, 06:19 AM
I use Traktor and no, I do not use Master Tempo.

Subprime
03-02-2012, 07:13 AM
When I'm in front of CDJs I use it, makes live pitch bending much less obvious if you're fighting to get a track back in time.

Used to have some stanton turntables that had a pitch lock, but it was pretty awful.

mrkleen
03-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Master Tempo has improved miles in the last few years. To be a digital DJ and not use all the tools at your disposal is ridiculous.

Adzm00
03-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes, I use it.

Nick Bike
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Master Tempo has improved miles in the last few years. To be a digital DJ and not use all the tools at your disposal is ridiculous.

while i agree, i still think that scratching with it off is the way to go.

c-hawk
03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
sometimes yes, sometimes no

ditto

mrkleen
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Fair point.

Synergy
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Traktor yes for both!

daveoj
03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
For the most part (some exceptions to give some creativity) I'll have it on, whether I'm running Traktor or on my Denon's (which have an excellent key lock, I find).

jazzyj
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I keep my keylock on and have my tempo faders locked somewhere between 5-8% so I don't accidentally go dead or go too fast if me or someone hits the fader.

Finnish_Fox
03-02-2012, 01:13 PM

Hmmm... that might be what my problem is.

DJNR
03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Traktor. I most of the time, but when I scratch obviously it needs to be turned off. If I mix sets that are relatively in the same BPM range, then I will turn key/pitch lock off.

djdecibel
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Traktor. I most of the time, but when I scratch obviously it needs to be turned off. If I mix sets that are relatively in the same BPM range, then I will turn key/pitch lock off.

So you turn it off when you scratch and on when you're mixing? Is scratching not supposed to be done with the keylock at all? Even when just dropping a beat with a baby scratch?

DJNR
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
So you turn it off when you scratch and on when you're mixing? Is scratching not supposed to be done with the keylock at all? Even when just dropping a beat with a baby scratch?

Baby scratch is fine I suppose. When you scratch, the feel of the scratch as well as it's tone are usually defined by pitch/key by moving the record. When you turn on key lock (at least in Traktor) it will eliminate all pitch or key changes. You will still get the scratching sound, but you won't have any variation in sound.

If you just want to go for the standard scratch sound, then don't worry about key lock being off.

djdecibel
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Baby scratch is fine I suppose. When you scratch, the feel of the scratch as well as it's tone are usually defined by pitch/key by moving the record. When you turn on key lock (at least in Traktor) it will eliminate all pitch or key changes. You will still get the scratching sound, but you won't have any variation in sound.

If you just want to go for the standard scratch sound, then don't worry about key lock being off.

yea that makes sense.

Connor
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I use master tempo now and I must say it's weird not hearing my music with increased pitch.

CC Ricers
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
I usually leave it off for most songs, but when I need to nudge the platter/jogwheel to quickly adjust tempo for beatmatching, I turn it on so that it's not apparent that I'm making quick, sudden motions.

djfarcyde
03-30-2012, 12:19 PM

This isn't true. Traktor has scratch-mode on the pitch lock which should take care of most of those problem.

DJNR
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
This isn't true. Traktor has scratch-mode on the pitch lock which should take care of most of those problem.

As a mentioned above, I never said that it was untrue that Traktor had a feature like this. I was surprised, as I have never heard the feature in effect myself.

mostapha
03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I did on CDJs, Ableton, and Traktor…and SSL the first time I had it. Now, I kinda don't. I would if it sounded better than the song being off pitch, but at some point I realized it was off in SSL and never bothered turning it back on. So, it's kind of a "correcting a problem" thing with me.

dub
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Just encountered the key lock issue with serato... I use cdjs with key lock / master tempo on - I will always want my music to sound as originally intended and not lower or higher in pitch if adjusted slightly. But when using master tempo with serato you can only adjust pitch by around 1.5% before serato starts to fall out of sync with the cdj pitch fader... how ridiculous?! Surely the majority of djs using cdjs are going to want to use master tempo? just seems like another stupid little thing serato cannot do... anyone else find this absurd? or have any solutions?

Thanks

dub
04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Sorry.. above is sorted.. use keylock in serato and not cdj.. silly me

Sean
04-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Yup, it's on almost always unless I wanna do something crazy.

Gareth
04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Always on... it's switched on by default on my Radius 2000s and I never think to switch it off. I'd have some (even more horrible) train wrecks when I mixed if I had to contend with it not always keeping in key.

Unlike using the synch button I don't see using the key lock as cheating.