PDA

View Full Version : Stricly Vinyl - Deep Progressive Battle

ChrisHynds
02-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Hey guys I havent used the battle section of this forum for quite a while now, I check it every now and again.

I have a set that I recorded not long ago on Vinyl of some Deep Prog sounds that I would like to put up against anyone thats keen for an oldskool showdown rules are below,

- Strictly Vinyl (Traktor, Serato etc are cool)
- No Auto Sync or grids - lets do it the good old fashioned way and use our ears :P
- Anything with a Deep Underground feel, Prog Breaks, Prog House, Deep House, Deep Trance etc all cool,
- Last track has to be mixed in by the 30 minute mark. Your mix can last up to 40 mins or more as long as the last transition is in and noticeable by the 30 minute mark.

I think that covers it, if you want to add anything else feel free

ben mills
02-13-2013, 11:38 AM
So you are saying that Traktor IS ok, as long as there is no sync used?

Finnish_Fox
02-13-2013, 01:00 PM
That's not exactly strictly vinyl... the appeal of a true strictly vinyl mix (for me) is that its a lot more about track selection since I think vinyl collections tend to be more unique. Anyways, don't have a toooon of deep stuff on wax so I am not sure if I can really join in.

ben mills
02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I also think that Traktor has an inherent advantage due to wave forms (not to mention loops).

I could do a mix without the loops or any other of the digital advantages, but kind of hard to not use the waveforms when I can't read the record.

But I like the idea - I think battles should be TT vs TT, CDJ vs CDJ, etc.

ChrisHynds
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Yea ok fair points, but yea I'm working of Traktor, although when I mix I turn the screen away from me I think even the visual aids are too much of a cheat. So yea lets say TT vs TT then, I dont have enough of a Vinyl collection here with me in AUS to do a proper Vinyl mix off, so TT mix it is,

ben mills
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
If you want to turn your screen, that's on you. With control vinyls we can't read the track like normal records - so they are useful.

I don't think they add any great advantage over what reading a record does, anyway.

But yeah, we can keep it TTs and Traktor.

One thing is that I would like for the judging to be based on technical merit...technical skill in mixing, rather than whether or not you like the tracks...which seems to be the way some people judge these. Nothing wrong with that...but I think these battles should be about the actual technical skill more than anything.

Finnish_Fox
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
One thing is that I would like for the judging to be based on technical merit...technical skill in mixing, rather than whether or not you like the tracks...which seems to be the way some people judge these. Nothing wrong with that...but I think these battles should be about the actual technical skill more than anything.

While I agree it would be nice, I also think its something that is easier said than done. Plus, even when someone doesn't make a technical mistake (i.e. key clash) during a mix, it may impact the flow positively or negatively which ultimately comes down to track selection... and that ends up being a very subjective thing to appreciate.

In order to really achieve a more technically based judging system, it'd almost have to be like figure skating where everyone starts at with X amount of points and each type of mistake (i.e. track gets loose vs poor phrasing vs straight up trainwreck) results in Y amount of a deduction. Then that technical score would be added to an artistic score which would then be the final score.

Ok, maybe I thought that out a bit too much. :lol:

CamDaze
02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
I also think the point of DJing is to move people, not to be technically perfect. Obviously if you suck technically it won't matter what you play, but there needs to be a balance.

Delta V
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
So is anyone actually called in on this or is it just discussion of TTs vs Traktor?

If no one has called it yet I'm sooo down for this, got lots of older prog & tech on wax!

ben mills
02-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Well I think that a key clash IS a technical mistake.

And I do get that DJing is about moving people. But battles are to a blind audience. There is no feedback for the dj to work with. Anyone can vote on and they all have different tastes. Impossible for the dj to know for whom he us playing g the tracks and how they are being received.

Finnish_Fox
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Well I think that a key clash IS a technical mistake.

You missed my point, sorry I wasn't clear - I was saying that in the absence of a technical mistake, such as a key clash, track selection (and how that impacts the flow, either positively or negatively) matters big time and track selection is ultimately subjectively appreciated.

And I do get that DJing is about moving people. But battles are to a blind audience. There is no feedback for the dj to work with. Anyone can vote on and they all have different tastes. Impossible for the dj to know for whom he us playing g the tracks and how they are being received.

Again, I don't disagree with you but you are, in essence, asking for something different from the audience than just listening to a mix. Instead of how they enjoyed the overall mix, it ends up requiring a lot more attention on the part of the listener to pick up on each and every technical mistake... hence the comparison to figure skating judging.

ben mills
02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Good points. It is tough to judge.

Finnish_Fox
02-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Good points. It is tough to judge.

I try as much as possible to look at technical merits but wouldn't say that track selection doesn't impact my decision.

Mix #2 was also good, maybe 1-2 times I noticed it got a tiny bit loose but each time it was corrected immediately. Good job guys!

ChrisHynds
02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Ok can we get on with the battle now? :P

Delta your in, Finish Fox your gonna miss it out? and Ben im not sure if you have commited to it or not yet? Either way I reckon no more than 3 mixes.

ben mills
02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah I might as well do it.

ChrisHynds
02-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Ok so :-

Chris Hynds
Delta V
Ben Mills

Submission date Saturday 23rd - Cool with you guys?

xs2man
02-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Only just noticed this. I would have joined in too, but I guess you have 3 already?

On another note, if there is room, while I have used DVS in all my battle mixes (all 2 of them), for this one, if there is room, I would use straight up vinyl, so long as you don't mind 10+ year old tunes, lol.

ChrisHynds
02-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Why dont we do a mini tourney? an outsider can pair us up and the winner of the 2 battles moves to the finals?

xs2man
02-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Sounds good to me.

ben mills
02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Sounds good to me.

xs2man
02-14-2013, 09:18 AM
BTW, I have already started my mix, lol. Thinking along a rare vinyl sort of feel, so dipping into some real rare classics it took me AGES to build up. Expensive tuneage. Although that will probably give the game away as to which mix is mine, lol.

EDIT: Well, didn't quite go as planned at the start. Loved the finish though. Might have to re-do it :( Was still fun mixing straight up vinyl with no DVS though :)

Might just upload to mixcrate later if anyone wants a listen, lol.

Finnish_Fox
02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Would've loved to have joined, but my excuses are (in order of impact to why I can't):

- need to replace stylus on one of my whitelabels.
- need to spend a few days digging through crates
- some of my personal fave deeper tracks I have are digital files... and I don't have/use DVS.
- don't really have deep progressive, mostly deep funky

ChrisHynds
02-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Ahh cool, not to worry man, maybe next time when you get your stylus replaced we can put something together?

Ok so I think everyone is confirmed Finnish_Fox do you want to pair us up and we can start getting things under way?

ChrisHynds
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Entrants are

Chris Hynds
Delta V
Ben Mills
XS2Man

If Finish Fox could just pair us up then we can get the ball rolling,

Entry deadline for the mixes is set for Saturday 23rd, if everyone gets them done and uploaded before then, we can get things started early. Sound cool with you guys?

xs2man
02-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Sounds good to me.

ben mills
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Sounds good to me.

Finnish_Fox
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Will set up a draw when back in the office.

EDIT:

Ben Mills vs xs2man

Delta V vs Chris Hynds

Delta V
02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
EEntry deadline for the mixes is set for Saturday 23rd, if everyone gets them done and uploaded before then, we can get things started early. Sound cool with you guys?

Sounds good, I actually have a few records in transit from discogs that I may use so I might not be able to get started till later next week.

Delta V vs Chris Hynds

Excellent!

ChrisHynds
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Will set up a draw when back in the office.

EDIT:

Ben Mills vs xs2man

Delta V vs Chris Hynds

Awesome, thanks Finish :)

show time again Delta :)

Good luck lads

xs2man
02-16-2013, 08:25 PM
UP :freak:

JonAvalon
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
xs2man is confirmed

xs2man
02-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Did it work first time this time?

JonAvalon
02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Yep :)

Delta V
02-23-2013, 01:16 PM
It's rough, haven't played a few of these tunes in almost 10 years but whatev...

Delta V vs ChrisHynds.mp3 uploaded!

JonAvalon
02-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Delta V is confirmed

ben mills
02-23-2013, 05:53 PM
I am about to go spin my set right now. So I will be up tonight.

ben mills
02-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Just sent it in.

ChrisHynds
02-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Im uploading now

JonAvalon
02-23-2013, 09:27 PM
ben mills is confirmed

:edit:Ben Mills vs xs2man Posted
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?22042-Ben-Mills-vs-xs2man-Deep-Progressive-Battle

JonAvalon
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
ChrisHynds is confirmed

ChrisHynds vs Delta V Posted
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?22043-ChrisHynds-vs-Delta-V-Deep-Progressive-Battle