PDA

View Full Version : Mics?

Moleman
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi i've done a couple of gigs in my local club and i've been in the slot of the warm up before the headline Dj comes on but this coming friday i spoke to him and he said about driving up from london to shropshire. He said if anything goes wrong like an accident that blocks him off or whatever, if anything stops him from completing his journey i'll have to carry on throughout the night. (my slot is 10-12 roughly). Now i haven't got a mic which isn't provided by the club the headline Dj brings his own so i'm going to have to buy my own and i'm just wondering what quality mic i would need. Basic? or mid range? The club holds 400+ capacity. Also what mics do you guys use? But to be honest i should have a mic in the first place really.

JackStalk
02-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Shure SM58 is probably one of the most widely used mics. I'd spend the extra few dollars and get one with a switch on it. They're built like tanks and are super versatile for all sorts of uses.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUf1jjjhm_jLA-Kfm66DkOwsWaYS_xgQVqPB7KmNDGisn36rWX

Moleman
02-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah looks very good cheers for that. Just checked it on decks.co.uk.

Windows 95
02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI

Moleman
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
He wasted a heineken! But yeah thanks guys for the info. I'm going to get it.

Lazerick
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
heineken, from a bottle, he just saved his taste buds.

jayhwk
02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
The SM58 is a good choice.

I also like the EV PL80A and N/D767 - they are supercardioid, meaning they have a tighter pick up pattern than the SM58. This is a good thing (meaning you can reduce the chance of feedback) if you have good mic technique (don't cup it, always speak an inch or two away from the grille, etc...). If you don't have good technique or like talking into the side of the microphone, you'll have more feedback problems.

Defiance
02-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Ive use the VocoPro UHF-18 ($69USD) with phenomenal results in clubs and formal events. I think I've only ran into feedback issues once or twice and that was with very loud monitors right on top of me. Normally I don't even turn the monitor down when I use it. Range is really good as well, along with wall-penetration (once I heard someone touch my gear while I was in the bathroom, I had my mic in my back pocket and yell at them through the mic -in the bathroom- and had the problem solved very quickly ;))

One thing over the Shure mic, is the fact it has flat spots on the mic so it doesn't roll off tables. I've also only gone through the original batteries on it, on the 2nd pair now and typically gets used 2-4 times a month since I bought it about 2 years ago.

djscrizzle
02-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Speaking of Electro-Voice (and their wired mics, I never will trust wireless for mission-critical applications.) I inherited a pair of PL76s (condenser mics) and PL11 (dynamic mic) recently. All three are just about as old as I am, early 80s vintage... After all these years, they still sound just as nice as ever.

The PL11 is meant to be their version of the Shure SM58, while the PL76s are similar to Shure's stage grade condensers. The E-V PL11 is a really nice mic, and in my opinion sounds better than the SM-58 it mimics.

After doing a simple mod (http://www.uneeda-audio.com/phantom/pl-76mod.htm) on my PL76s, they are 48v phantom powered, instead of using a long-obsolete mercury oxide battery.

jayhwk
02-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Speaking of Electro-Voice (and their wired mics, I never will trust wireless for mission-critical applications.) I inherited a pair of PL76s (condenser mics) and PL11 (dynamic mic) recently. All three are just about as old as I am, early 80s vintage... After all these years, they still sound just as nice as ever.

The PL11 is meant to be their version of the Shure SM58, while the PL76s are similar to Shure's stage grade condensers. The E-V PL11 is a really nice mic, and in my opinion sounds better than the SM-58 it mimics.

After doing a simple mod (http://www.uneeda-audio.com/phantom/pl-76mod.htm) on my PL76s, they are 48v phantom powered, instead of using a long-obsolete mercury oxide battery.

Ooh, The PL-11 is an awesome mic. It is a "Variable-D" microphone, which uses vents on the handle to negate proximity effect (note that if you handheld the mic, make sure not to block the vents!). Therefore, it's much smoother than most dynamic cardioid microphones. As you get closer to the mic, you sound the same instead of an increase in bass.

The PL-11 is the same thing as the RE-11 - EV decided that the "RE" line would be for recording and broadcast and the "PL" line would be for musicians. There is significant overlap between the two lines - for instance, the PL-20 and RE-20 are the also same mic with a slightly different finish.

The RE-11 is a cheaper version of the RE-16. The story goes that RE-11 capsules are RE-16 capsules that were a little out of spec. If they had a good day on the manufacturing line, the two could be almost identical.

Now, the best part: EV still makes the RE-16 after !

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/296430.html

Phil Noize
02-14-2013, 02:49 AM
The Shure Beta 58 is supercardioid mic, and better than the SM58 IMO.