PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needing advice.

GSR
02-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Hello I am new to the Dj world and I was curious what you guys thought would be a good setup to start with. I dont really want to use records or anything like that so if I wanted to just plug something into my computer to do remix stuff and scratch what would be a good way to go about it? Right now I am using a Maschine Mikro for beat production but I really want to get into spinning and add some extra flavor to my music. Thanks!

mostapha
02-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Budget?
Genre?
Apparently you want to scratch.
Size requirements?
Any preference on software?
Do you want easy access to effects?

GSR
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Im trying to not spend more then $1000 for starter gear. I wanna play dubstep, hip/hop, house. Pretty much my goal is to add some extra stuff to the music I make and be able to play at clubs on the weekends. i dont think I have any size requirements and I was gonna use Traktor and Reason.

electricsmooth
02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
I would suggest getting a controller like the Traktor S4, Pioneer DDJ S1, NS6 or NS7. It is an all in one solution and will fit your budget. The NS6 is made for Itch but I think there is a TSI file available that will let it work with Traktor as well

GSR
02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
I really like the NS6, I have been reading up on it a lot and so far it sounds like a good piece of hardware and the Traktor S4 was the other one I was thinking to mainly because I have the Maschine and I figured might as well stick with Native Instruments to kinda just keep everything in the same family.

electricsmooth
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I'm actually looking at getting an NS6 as well. I currently have 2 decks + mixer setup but thought for mobile stuff I'd use the NS6. You mentioned that you like to scratch so the NS7 may be more up your alley but it is an Itch only device. You said you use Traktor. Don't quote me on this but I hear the NS6 has an excellent Traktor tsi file. You can still scratch on the NS6 but the platters aren't motorized and there is no vinyl on top. No biggy for me and it is also a 4 channel controller. You can always get a turntable and connect it.

Lost Connection
02-23-2012, 04:42 AM
NI S4 is great :tup: Have no comments on NS4 or NS6, haven't tried 'em out. Though Numark... Dunno. Have heard some good stuff on those too though.

electricsmooth
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
FYI, there is someone selling the pioneer unit here.

GSR
02-24-2012, 11:34 PM
I decided that I am going with the NI S4.