PDA

View Full Version : DJ Toy Store

AVShop
02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi All,

As we build our new showroom at AVShop.ca, we want to ask for your opinion - what would your ideal showroom include? What's important to you?
- Testing a variety of controllers / cd players?
- A wall of every headphone imaginable?
- Speakers so loud that your car rattles in the parking lot?

Let us know!

TrueWind
02-22-2012, 12:59 AM
OH YES! Good to hear you are getting one done man! Congratz!

Well... I would want to see the following:

-Mixers that aren't your typical "common" or "known" mixers. (I have never seen a DN-X1600 Mixer on Display. EVER.)
-a Few Decks so that one can compare (from budget to expensive gear)
-A Few lights... It's always good to know how a light looks like in real life.
-A few controllers would be nice, BUT A laptop would be needed to accompany them.
-Accesories! Headphone cases, slipmats, etc...
-Headphones to try on! It is Vital for people to know in person how they sound, and how they fit. Afterall, if people (especially beginners) assume that all headphones are the same, they will buy the cheapest. HOWEVER, if they can compare the sound quality, then they will most likely buy a more expensive pair!

bmorr
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Whatever you do, don't just show one of something. Which means. If you're selling turntable needles. Dont' just show one model like L&M does. DJ's like choice. If the one model being shown is too expensive then the DJ just won't buy anything, also if the display model is too cheap, I'll just assume the store carries budget low-end equipment and probably not linger anymore.

dimos
02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
One thing thats pretty important is having anyone feel free to demo the most popular unit. People want to know what the latest toys feel like..especially, when we're talking Controllers and CDJ's.

DJ Depot in Brampton does a good job with their controllers on display.

Gjhowe1
02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
+1 for being able to test out the controllers before you buy! Also maybe having an amp setup so people can demo a speaker and do a side by side comparison would be great! I also agree on having a range of products at various price points like bmorr suggested.

Tektonix
02-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Bassicly if you sell it, have it so that we can try and play with it C: Its great being able to see all the lights in action, hear all the speakers touch and use every deck and mixer. Making it really hands on. I like to be able to try out everything before i buy something or see what they will look or sound like. If youve ever been to Spectacular Sound on St Clair, Somthing like that where everything is all setup for you to hear, use and see C:

epik1
02-22-2012, 11:42 PM
OH YES! Good to hear you are getting one done man! Congratz!

Well... I would want to see the following:

-Mixers that aren't your typical "common" or "known" mixers. (I have never seen a DN-X1600 Mixer on Display. EVER.)
-a Few Decks so that one can compare (from budget to expensive gear)
-A Few lights... It's always good to know how a light looks like in real life.
-A few controllers would be nice, BUT A laptop would be needed to accompany them.
-Accesories! Headphone cases, slipmats, etc...
-Headphones to try on! It is Vital for people to know in person how they sound, and how they fit. Afterall, if people (especially beginners) assume that all headphones are the same, they will buy the cheapest. HOWEVER, if they can compare the sound quality, then they will most likely buy a more expensive pair!
thiss!! and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see some of the more sought-after or popular mixers to be able to play with (like Rane 62, etc.)
I understand this can turn the store in to sort of a toys r us for dj's though with lines to try equipment out :P

bmorr
02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Bassicly if you sell it, have it so that we can try and play with it C: Its great being able to see all the lights in action, hear all the speakers touch and use every deck and mixer. Making it really hands on. I like to be able to try out everything before i buy something or see what they will look or sound like. If youve ever been to Spectacular Sound on St Clair, Somthing like that where everything is all setup for you to hear, use and see C:

100% agree. Spectacular sound is one of the best DJ stores I've ever been to. And the staff is extremely friendly. I bought my first Speakers from there :3

bmorr
02-23-2012, 08:16 AM
thiss!! and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see some of the more sought-after or popular mixers to be able to play with (like Rane 62, etc.)
I understand this can turn the store in to sort of a toys r us for dj's though with lines to try equipment out :P

I doubt having a test version of all the decks, etc would be feasible. I can't imagine how much it would cost to have a demo deck on the floor. Wouldn't that be automatically one deck that would have to be sold at cost, or even cheaper? I think one or two from each price range would do the job.

AVShop
02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey All,

Thanks so much for the ideas! We're working on adding the lights & speakers to the showroom, and hopefully a handful of DJ controllers. As was mentioned, it will be difficult to have them all on display, but we'll at least have a few to play around with (and a laptop so that you can actually try them!)

Keep the suggestions coming!!

Tektonix
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
A haze or smoke machine :O So that we can see the lights with fog if requested? (not saying smoke the place out all day lol) Cosmo music is the only place i can think of that does this and even then they never use the damn thing or their lights to begin with,

manythings
02-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey AVShop. just sent you a pm!

AVShop
02-25-2012, 11:09 AM
A haze or smoke machine :O So that we can see the lights with fog if requested? (not saying smoke the place out all day lol) Cosmo music is the only place i can think of that does this and even then they never use the damn thing or their lights to begin with,

Even though there's only 3 lights hanging right now, we already have a HZ-300 set up that we turn on often! We spent the week doing demos of the new Microh Titan laser and the haze made it look amazing!

NickJames
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Can you guys open a store in Saskatchewan? We have only Long & McQuade as an option and they rarely have gear on hand; nearly everything has to be ordered or transferred from another store :(

Really wish we had something like AVShop here.

hoff
03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Definitely a good selection of mixers and controllers are what would make me tingle. To kill a few birds with one stone have at least one comprehensive booth setup. For example, a club-quality 4 channel mixer with 2-3 different decks hooked up, an external fx processor, some decent monitors and maybe even a midi controller routed through the 4th channel. This would be anybodies dream to step up to and try. You could get a feel for different players while trying a mixer ect.

Second to mixers and decks would be a solid selection of headphones. As others have said, being able to try a few would be key. Even if you could have 5 industry standard cans available to test would help a lot of people (ex. HD25, XD53, HDJ1000, HDJ2000 and DJ1)

Oh, and make the showroom wheelchair accessible. Most dj shops aren't.