PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting xs2man vs Ben Mills vs DJ Difficult - Deep House battle

Rek_Aviles
02-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Deep House battle_1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Deep House battle_2.mp3)

Mix 3 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Deep House battle_3.mp3)

Rules:

No sync.
40 minutes.

Call out thread: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?20204-Calling-out-Deep-House-battle

xs2man
02-08-2013, 03:57 AM
Wow. On my holidays just now so internet ain't great, and time is short, so not listened to all of each mix yet.

That said, I am always amazed on these things. I generally think of myself as pretty good on the decks (probably due to the praise from all my mates who cant mix mind).

Entering thes battles reminds me of exactly how average I really am. Some very nice work there by al involved.

Any chance the other entrants can pm me their track listings? Obviously putting them up here gives the game away about who's mix is who's.

Cheers guys. Good luck to you both.

ben mills
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I'd have to go back and figure out what tracks they are - but it'd be possible to get relatively close to a complete tracklist.

Giving the mixes a listen now while at work. I'm sure they'll be enjoyable.

ETA: Good luck to you both as well - now we need some votes :blank:

DJ Difficult
02-10-2013, 12:51 AM
No love for our battle?
Good mixes mates! Reminds me how i'm just a newcomer in this artform.

CamDaze
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
What's the deadline for this? I'm planning to get through these this week.

ben mills
02-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Closes 2/14.

Thanks for giving it a go. Will rep after you vote :-)

Rad
02-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi all,
I voted for #3, and will try to explain why.

But first, a disclaimer: all mixes are well above my current level, so please don't take my criticism too seriously.

For mix #1: I think the transitions could have been a bit smoother, and I think the phrasing may have been off once or twice.
in mix #2: I feel like it was too busy in the transitions, some effects were used, it may have been too varied for the length of the mix.
mix #3: probably 'technically' the best mix, personally, I think there were a few too many breakdowns, again, for the length of the mix.

After the poll is closed, could we maybe hear how each mix was made (as in: CDJS, Serato, etc) ?

I sure hope there's going to be a few more voters on this one !

ben mills
02-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for voting + rep

DJ Retro Blaze
02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
All the mixes were fine from a technical stand point. With that said, my vote goes to the mix that got my feet tapping the most, and that is mix #2.

ben mills
02-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for voting... + rep.

DJ Difficult
02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Finally we got some activity! Rep for voters.

xs2man
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
^^^ Indeed. Also repped the voters.

CamDaze
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
All of these were solid. You guys were all formidable opponents.

That being said, I had to go with #3. Best all-around in terms of technical transitions and track selection. #1 was also technically sound but took a little too long to get going for me. #2 was probably my favorite in terms of track selection, but there were a few transitions that were a little sloppy and distracting.

Again, all of these were solid. Big ups fellas.

ben mills
02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for voting +rep

whiterob
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
In the middle of mix 2 right now. This sounds a little more like something I would play over mix 1. and I do appreciate in mix 1 at roughly 3:30 there is a bit of a slip up which I like because it shows that there really is a person behind the decks. haha. I will post again and vote when I complete all three mixes. Both sound good so far though.

whiterob
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
For me it was mix 3. At the beginning I wasn't sure, but it seems whoever it was really got into it the second half of the mix.. well, at least I did. Thumbs up on all three though

ben mills
02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
thanks for voting! plus rep.

Finnish_Fox
02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Just tuning into Mix 1 now... give me the rest of the afternoon and perhaps some time tomorrow and I'll get my vote in.

Loving track #2 on Mix 1 a lot... will be asking for a track ID later! Nice bass cuts (I think) on the mix out too. Add the track around 29' as well. Nice one. :)

Mix # 1 done - well mixed smooth and well, some tracks I really enjoyed.

Finnish_Fox
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Mix #2 - second track is also sweet. Will want an ID on it...

Finnish_Fox
02-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Started mix #3 - loving the first track. Sounds kinda like Da Sunlounge or Sonny Fodera. Feelin' the second track as well.

EDIT - track around 33', there is some piano sample that I have in another track that is amazing.

Good job, though lost me a bit in track selection with the last 2 tracks.

Finnish_Fox
02-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Alright guys and I've taken a listen. Really enjoyed all 3 of them. 1 and 3 were mixed very very cleanly (#2 was still pretty darn clean) but I think, overall, the track selection and flow for #3 sold it. Cheers guys.

ben mills
02-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks for voting plus rep

DJ Difficult
02-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks for voting. Rep has left the building.

xs2man
02-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Well, poll is over now.

Well done to mix 3. It was the better mix. At least I got 1 vote though.

Tracklisting for mix 2:

Driving Me Away By Liam Geddes
Slow By Sebo, Madmotormiquel & Nayan Soukie
Monocrhome By Ceo Basso
Vanish - Flatlines Mohican Vocal Mix By Capoeira Twins
Luv In The Club Feat. Hype Hunnets (Instrumental) By DJ Romain
Serious - Max Chapman Remix By Alex Arnout
Everyday By Simian Mobile Disco
I'll Wait For You By Maher Daniel & Nikko Gibler
DesenJumi By Phonogenic
Iridescent By Wiretappeur

DJ Difficult
02-15-2013, 05:38 AM
WTF just happend? I won this:lol: :lol:
Big thanks to my fellow competitors for good battle. You made great mixes and they was very enjoyable. Ben, can you provide me your tracklist?
Here's mine:
1. Flight School - Miquel Campbell
2. True - Monte
3. Love Somebody Else feat. Joi Cardwell - Jon Dasilva, Maceo Plex
4. Lovebreak - Tube & Berger, Milan Euringer
5. It's Not For You feat. C Layne (The Mekanism Remix) - Superhero
6. Back To The Future feat. Roland Clark (Monte Remix) - Andre Crom, Martin Dawson
7. I Got 5 On It (Orginal Rework) - Daniel Dubb
8. Infinity - Matthias Meyer
9. Flash - Stefano Noferini
10. This Is True House - David Amo, Julio Navas, Robert Gaez

After the poll is closed, could we maybe hear how each mix was made (as in: CDJS, Serato, etc) ?

2 X NDX-400 cd players & Numark M4 mixer. Budget level equipment.

Baller95
02-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Aww damn it's over?! :( I listened and I was gonna vote for 1!

ben mills
02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
I will try to get a track list. Since I recorded this I moved some tracks around in that crate.

Well Baller, glad at least u liked my mix!

I put a lot of fancy mix tricks into mine and a lot of creative mixing but maybe that didn't come through for the listeners.

ben mills
02-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Well done by the others though. Enjoyed this battle a lot.

Will rep you jerks once I get to work!

DJ Difficult
02-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Ben, re-match next month?
When i heard you mix, i immediatly though i'm gonna lose because of that creativity. Mine was just a to b mixing.

Baller95
02-15-2013, 09:17 AM
You all had great mixes! Repped you all for the effort :tup:

ben mills
02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I'd be down for a re-match. I've not had a lot of motivation lately...these battles are kind of fun.

ben mills
02-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Nice bass cuts (I think) on the mix out too.

Not really bass cuts. I call it a "reverse pump" - I don't know if it has any technical name. What I do is on the last 4 of a 32 (especially if the last four of the outgoing track is one of those 4 beat mini breakdowns) is I'll put the incoming track at 100%. Then I'll start cutting the outgoing track on the downbeats. It creates a quick cutting/slicing/I don't really know kind of effect that sounds slick. When it rolls back around to the 1, the outgoing track goes back to 100% and the incoming goes to about 95% and the bass at maybe 9 or 10 o'clock.

This is when the incoming track is first coming in. At the end of the mix, I will do the same thing, but just reverse the positions.

Also, I'll vary the "pump" of the last four beats. Sometimes it'll be 3 beats...and I'll still cut for four downbeats on the other, but that one beat space before it rolls back around to the 1 leaves just a slight little pause - it can either be "dead air" or it leaves just a little space for the other track to do something - all before they come back together again on the 1.

Finnish_Fox
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
I will try to get a track list. Since I recorded this I moved some tracks around in that crate.

Well Baller, glad at least u liked my mix! I put a lot of fancy mix tricks into mine and a lot of creative mixing but maybe that didn't come through for the listeners.

It was really tough for me man... and I got some of the tricks. It sounds similar to what I do (which is normally just bring back the outgoing bassline, especially the outro when its just a strong kick and clap) but sounds like your way is a bit more involved and probably comes off better/more smooth in the end.

Probably the closest battle I've personally listened to on this forum.

Finnish_Fox
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I'd be down for a re-match. I've not had a lot of motivation lately...these battles are kind of fun.

Lemme buy some deeper tracks and I may be in for it as well.

Finnish_Fox
02-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Ben, re-match next month?
When i heard you mix, i immediatly though i'm gonna lose because of that creativity. Mine was just a to b mixing.

It was really tough to judge guys. I mean, the only thing that prevented #2 from being a contender was it got very minorly loose once or twice. Ben's was creative, but yours was clean and I really enjoyed the flow.

ben mills
02-15-2013, 11:24 AM
It was really tough for me man... and I got some of the tricks. It sounds similar to what I do (which is normally just bring back the outgoing bassline, especially the outro when its just a strong kick and clap) but sounds like your way is a bit more involved and probably comes off better/more smooth in the end.

Probably the closest battle I've personally listened to on this forum.

I hear you - glad you caught some of that. It is a technique that I've not really seen anyone use before. It's kind of a "signature" mix trick for me. When the two tracks really compliment each other well, it sounds fantastic.

Other things I like to do is create my own little build ups. When a track goes into a breakdown, I'll throw the incoming track live on the 1 of the breakdown, but without any bass. If it is a 64 beat breakdown for the first 32 I will keep the incoming at 100% and just work the bass, building up, cutting, etc...more and more to the final 32 of the breakdown. Then on the one of the 32, I'll give 100% on the incoming, bass and all, and then a complete kill...repeating on the 4s...and then on the last 4 use the technique described above. Sometimes I won't repeat on the fours...I'll do the 1, then the 16, then the 24, and then 28 through 32 is the technique above.

This results in kind of a "rolling" building feel during the breakdown - and the last four is like junk just getting crazy out of control, but in an organized manner, in preparation for the big slam coming back around on the 1 out of the breakdown and then the mix begins in earnest.

Lots of other neat tricks and techniques to use...these are just a couple of my favorites.

It all really depends though. I don't tend to plan it out. I'm just going with the groove and how I feel...trying things out and messing around. It gives the mix a "live" feel, which I really like.

Finnish_Fox
02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Would love to hear that build-up trick you described. Sounds sweet.

ben mills
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Check the mix that comes in at around 6:43. This mix contains a little bit of both of the techniques I described above. While I don't start the mix on the breakdown (rather it starts coming out of a previous breakdown), I use the rolling build up technique. The breakdown starts at about 8:46 and comes out 9:17. From there the mix is on and just continues on with another little technique at about 9:55 before the main bassline of the incoming track comes in and the outgoing track further and further gone.

CamDaze
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
I'd like to get in on this deep house battle action if you guys do a re-match. Maybe we can set up a tourny?

xs2man
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Wow. Sounds pretty involved. Will try some of that out on my next mix.

My mixing is pretty basic. Use some delays and stuff as the db4 fx are awesome, but apart from that I usually centre the eq filters and bang the track in. This is surprisingly subtle. Then I use the eq filters to merge the tracks.

My mix was done on 1210's running Traktor Scratch, mixed with my A & H DB4. I also use a reloop contour controller for basic track selection. Obviously meber use sync. Dont know if you can with tsp?

ben mills
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Wow. Sounds pretty involved. Will try some of that out on my next mix.

My mixing is pretty basic. Use some delays and stuff as the db4 fx are awesome, but apart from that I usually centre the eq filters and bang the track in. This is surprisingly subtle. Then I use the eq filters to merge the tracks.

My mix was done on 1210's running Traktor Scratch, mixed with my A & H DB4. I also use a reloop contour controller for basic track selection. Obviously meber use sync. Dont know if you can with tsp?

It sounds pretty involved - but really when you're "in the zone" and mixing just by feeling and groove, it's not at all. You just kind of let your ears tell your hands what to do and let whatever happens, happen. It's hard to describe. Sometimes there isn't too much conscious thought other than "time to get funky."

I mixed using 1200s and Traktor Scratch 2.0 on a DJM-600 and a Kontrol X1. I don't ever use the X1 for effects. For me it's just for loading tracks and looping. I could get more out of it, but my style doesn't dictate that I need to.

Are you running the original Traktor Scratch from back in 2008? I had that until last spring.

Finnish_Fox
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Think in a previous conversation about TSP (where you suggested I get it as I already have an X1), you had mentioned that beat gridding is not necessary if you plan to play without sync. How does looping work? Is it still as "manual" as doing it on the CDJ for example (by which I mean based on your timing)? Or does it snap the loop without having the track gridded?

xs2man
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Nah, I'm running 2.6.

Would also be up for a rematch though.

Also don't beatgrid my tunes. I loop off the db.

ben mills
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
You just press the Loop knob. You don't event have to be too precise with it. Just hit loop...and you're done. Loops are smooth and sound great. It is based on timing...but waaaay more forgiving than CDJ. Even if you hit the loop square in the middle of the beat, not just before, it still comes out sounding ok.

ETA: I've never had a loop come out sounding bad.

ben mills
02-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Think in a previous conversation about TSP (where you suggested I get it as I already have an X1), you had mentioned that beat gridding is not necessary if you plan to play without sync. How does looping work? Is it still as "manual" as doing it on the CDJ for example (by which I mean based on your timing)? Or does it snap the loop without having the track gridded?

There's some guy selling Traktor in the For Sale section. Seems to be good price.

Finnish_Fox
02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
You just press the Loop knob. You don't event have to be too precise with it. Just hit loop...and you're done. Loops are smooth and sound great. It is based on timing...but waaaay more forgiving than CDJ. Even if you hit the loop square in the middle of the beat, not just before, it still comes out sounding ok.

ETA: I've never had a loop come out sounding bad.

I've had tons of CDJ loops sounds horrible. :lol: