PDA

View Full Version : Ouch... need some constructive criticism please.

DJNR
02-21-2012, 08:52 PM
So I just started a bi-weekly podcast to keep myself motivated to spin. I hadn't been spinning for awhile when I started, so I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit rusty. For the most part, people enjoyed the mix I put out, until I got this:

" [One Star Review, Username: Hipster god] While I like the raver happy Big Room vibe. All I got was Big Room Bullsh*t. Tracklist was generic and it appeared there was barely any forethought into the idea, "maybe im just playing the same over played sound for an hour."

Maybe he's digging into the fringe of the mainstream "electro" (btw DJNR doesn't play electro in this mix.. thought that was a misleading title) and trying to sniff around in those roots but that takes half an effort.

Next time, work less on keeping your hands still on the LC EQ and the fader and work on doing something not every dime store DJ can do.

Someone's gotta be the hater to give this guy a reality check/chance at being a dj."

Let me first start off by saying that I know I am not some DJing pro, but I really felt like this guy was way too harsh for what I made. The guy didn't really give me any sort of constructive criticism, and pointed out essentially that I am a "dime store DJ", which I took as I wasn't being creative enough in my mix.

So DJF, here is my question for you: Was this guy totally trolling me? Or is there truth in what he says?

I really want to improve and I actually think there is some truth in what he says, so please let me know what you think.

Edit: I think this belongs in the mix section, since I'm posting the link to the podcast here (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/electro-chemistry/id501909043).

Mahatma Coat
02-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Well, erm, looking at your tracklist it is pretty standard 'electro' big room sounds:

Electro Chemistry Episode.001

1. Spaceman (Original Mix) - Hardwell

2. Crunch (Original Mix) - Franz Novotny

3. Can't Stop Me (Aylen Remix) - Afrojack & Shermanology

4. Kick Out the Epic Motherfucker (Original Mix) - Dada Life

5. Antidote (Original Mix) - Swedish House Mafia VS. Knife Party

6. Killmode vs Right Here Right Now (CZT'S A Soccer Hurdle BOOTLEG) - Cazzette

7. Better Wipe That Up (Revolvr Remix) - Lazy Rich

8. Cascade (Original Mix) - Tommy Trash

9. Apollo (Original Mix) - AutoErotique

10. Toulouse (Original Mix) - Nicky Romero

11. We Gonna Rock (Original mix) - Quintino

12. Nudge (Original Mix) - Felguk VS. Dirtyloud

13. Overdrive (Original Mix) - Tristan Garner

14. My Feelings for You (Angger Dimas Bambu Remix) - Sebastien Drums & Avicii

15. Me & You Blue Collision (MAKJ Bootleg) - NERO VS. Michael Canitrot

16. There And Back (Original Mix) - Wolfgang Gartner

17. Ain't No Stoppin' (Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano Remix) - Ferry Corsten & Ben Hague

18. Breakin' A Sweat (Zedd Remix) - Skrillex featuring Members of The Doors

Sorry to say it, but everyone is playing this stuff at the minute, and it is pretty generic without any recognition of the electro of yesteryear which made it all possible.

That said, if this is the music you like to play, then you shouldn't let anyone get you down about it.

On the other hand, if you have got an issue with this then you should try to dig a bit harder for your records, try out stuff no one else plays. If you're into your electro then why not do some research and look to earlier electro acts? You could drop some old school classics in next to the newer stuff and show that you know your music, introduce your listeners to different sounds and get to play some wicked tracks than no one else is playing. Its win win win.

Why not begin with Egyptian Lovers, Drexiya and go from there? Give Tiga, Peaches & Felix Da Housecat a look up to. You could give Boddika a listen also, he's a new guy from the UK bass scene coming out with all sorts of crazy jittery electro sounds.

franksij
02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Listen brother, the fact of the matter is, everyone is gonna have something to say good or bad. How are you gonna handle the criticism? Are you gonna let someone's opinion get to you enough that you're gonna stop doing what you enjoy? Or are you going to rise to the occasion and make him/her eat their words? Or, are you gonna let it slide and continue as is. You mentioned you've received several positive comments regarding your podcast. One was overtly negative; if you ask me 1:X = a good turn out. Keep making mixes and doing your thing. This is actually akin to something Laidback Luke tweeted a while back, mentioning how there are too many haters on the internet these days especially when it comes to dance music. The point of DJ-ing and making music in general is that it's a form of self expression and to get people moving. So your tracks were generic; big deal. I'm sure somewhere some dude/girl was vibing out and added your mix to their ipod for future listening and that's what matters. You're never gonna make everyone happy and when you start trying to, that's when shit goes sour.

Stevil
02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
I would take any criticism from someone with the username "hipster god" with a grain of salt :shrug: :P

Overall (from what I can see on the itunes site) it looks like your mix was well received by others. You can't please everyone, take what you can from the negative comments and move forward.

Era 7
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
don't know dude. your playlist kinda looks like the top 10 of the prog house beatport charts :shrug: i myself play a fair bit of these tunes but maybe you should dig a bit through new releases every now and then. thats one of the main reasons i listen to podcasts.

Manu
02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
that tracklist looks like the beatport top 20, maybe you should start digging elsewhere? Anyways, I wouldn't take someone who calls himself hipster god too seriously... If everyone enjoyed it, then why bother about the (often trolling, I know I had my fair share of them) minority?

Smallz
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I would take any criticism from someone with the username "hipster god" with a grain of salt :shrug: :P

Overall (from what I can see on the itunes site) it looks like your mix was well received by others. You can't please everyone, take what you can from the negative comments and move forward.
:stupid:

Also, the fact that he said "Someone's gotta be the hater to give this guy a reality check/chance at being a dj." means he didn't really have much to say, he just wanted to be devil's advocate.

But if this comment is really getting to you, you'll start to realize that through posting a mix bi-weekly you'll be forced to search for different tracks. I've been trying to post a mix once a month, and it has gotten me to search deeply for tracks through record labels that i follow and all that.

Good luck to you, and i'm sure your mix was banging (Can't listen right now i'm in class).

Defiance
02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I try really hard to not use beatport for this reason.

But I would say, I don't get a chance to listen to other music often and probably couldn't tell you any of the names of those songs if I didn't have that list. Link for your mix and I can give you some feedback :)

thehadgi
02-22-2012, 10:43 AM

also :stupid:

This dude is probably already 'over' music that hasn't even been released yet, he's so hipster. I'm not up on the scene you're spinning, so I can't comment on it. But who knows... maybe that guy was actually the user RDRCK from the forums (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?850-The-cutting-edge-is-a-lonely-place).... just kidding rdrck if you're reading this :lol:

DJ Que Yi
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't spin too much EDM so I'm not up on the latest tracks. However I have been spinning for over a decade. And I can tell you that in today's digital world just about everyone has access or capability to acquire the same tunes. Even the classics are available. So the key is -What are you going to do with your tracks! Focus on creating a soundscape that is uniquely yours! The advice given about digging and adding some flavor to your mix is dead on center! Believe me there will always be someone who has something negative to say no matter what you do. Even if you had the hottest tracks that no one else had someone would complain. Just do you!

fat8ack
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I love spinning beatport top 40.....that's is what I like. I have found that I must take the good with the bad. And if you didn't really train wreak then all good to me (me). I will give it a listen.

g-sep
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Haters gonna hate man. Just keep doing what your doing. If that means playing all the newest, mainstream stuff, keep going for it. Don't let the internet fools bring you down, you know where you can come to get some honest opinions on your mix; right here :tup:

DJNR
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the criticism guys, I really appreciate it. I got really down on the comment just because it was tough for something so rough so early.

I did know that the tracks I was playing were pretty mainstream, and in this next episode there's a little more "variety". It's not much, but at least it's a start. The whole idea of having the Top 20 beatport (which honestly I had no idea that was because I didn't get them from there) was really just to appeal to the lowest common denominator just to get people listening.

I would really like criticism on the mixing portion too however, because that was one of the things that he decided that was so critical in mentioning.

bernardgregory
02-22-2012, 08:35 PM
I feel like you should take the positive criticism out of this message and keep it moving.

If someone can't give you feedback without being a jerk about it, f em

If you ever have a question about what's what, consult someone you trust (aka DJForums)

when you put things out to the public, be ready for jerks to comment. but also pay attention for criticism you can use

DJNR
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I feel like you should take the positive criticism out of this message and keep it moving.

If someone can't give you feedback without being a jerk about it, f em

If you ever have a question about what's what, consult someone you trust (aka DJForums)

when you put things out to the public, be ready for jerks to comment. but also pay attention for criticism you can use

This is really the reason I posted it. I know people are trolls, but sometimes trolls have some genuine criticism which is why I posted here to see which parts I should take into consideration, and what parts to classify as garbage.

I didn't want to completely toss out the review as bad and ignore legitimate criticism.