PDA

View Full Version : Serato: Do you use auto gain?

unity03
02-21-2012, 06:28 PM
I've been debating whether or not to use auto gain with Serato. Does anyone here use it? If so, is it effective?

VjQue
02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I use it all the time it very effective when you have low tracks you don't remember that are low.

GaFFLe
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Absolutely. This is a no brainer... it's a must. Do your crowds a favor and always use autogain.

mostapha
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Yep. I have it set to output fairly quiet and still tune with my gain knobs because it's imperfect...but I like being able to load tracks without worrying about clipping the sound card…that's really the only reason.

Andrew B
02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Nope. No need (for me).

unity03
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
What dB do you have your auto gain set to? Also, do you use the Hi-Fi resampled?

Also, how do you re-analyze your library so it sets the new auto gain levels?

GaFFLe
02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
There should be an Autogain choice in the Playback tab within the SETUP screen. I leave mine at 91dB. I never set it higher than 92dB. If you run yours higher than 93dB, you're assured to distort your source material, hurt your patrons ears + tear up your sound system.

If you've never had the Autogain choice checked, go ahead and insure that it is checked with the above dB value. THen CTRL click your Analyze Files button. This will force re-analyze your entire library again and Autogain every file.

I scratch with varying speeds so yes, I use HiFi resampled.

mostapha
02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
yes to hifi and I have it set at 89dB. It's just to prevent clipping the DAC and my mixer has enough gain to make it up…and dance music is insanely compressed, so I'm just replacing the noise floor of whatever it was mixed/mastered on with the noise floor of my SL1, which is quieter than the noise floor on my 004 anyway.

Nick Bike
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
nope. i use the gains on the mixer.

Nick Bike
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Absolutely. This is a no brainer... it's a must. Do your crowds a favor and always use autogain.

why is it a must?

Andrew B
02-21-2012, 09:14 PM
why is it a must?

Was wondering the same.

unity03
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I just re-analyzed all my files and when I load a song to the preview deck with my SL unplugged it lowers the gain from 12o'clock to about 10o'clock. This is on a normal mastered house song from beatport. Is it normal to go below 12o'clock when using 92dB auto gain for a normal sounding song? When I load an older song that isn't as loud as today's songs, say a Beatles song, it brings the auto gain for it to 12o'clock. Just want to make sure nothings wrong with my normal tracks being below 12o'clock.

JuxtaPoser
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
I just re-analyzed all my files and when I load a song to the preview deck with my SL unplugged it lowers the gain from 12o'clock to about 10o'clock. This is on a normal mastered house song from beatport. Is it normal to go below 12o'clock when using 92dB auto gain for a normal sounding song? When I load an older song that isn't as loud as today's songs, say a Beatles song, it brings the auto gain for it to 12o'clock. Just want to make sure nothings wrong with my normal tracks being below 12o'clock.

That's basically exactly what auto-gain should do, don't worry :)

I've never used it myself, and have never struggled with balancing the levels using the mixer gains. Maybe I should try it out, I guess there's not really any harm in doing so, but I certainly don't think "it's a must"...

VjQue
02-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Was wondering the same.Some tracks are recorded low or the bitrate is lower than 320. and it will bring it up to the best it can but you have to turn the bass up to fill in a weak bass note. you can tell on a club system or a big system.

Andrew B
02-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Some tracks are recorded low or the bitrate is lower than 320. and it will bring it up to the best it can but you have to turn the bass up to fill in a weak bass note. you can tell on a club system or a big system.

I don't use tracks lower than 320kbps. I use the gains on every mix.

JuxtaPoser
02-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Also, turning up the bass EQ isn't going to magically fix a low bitrate mp3 that's been compressed to shit...

mostapha
02-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Honestly, I don't think it's about actually balancing levels…ears do a better job of that if they're not shot. It's about making sure that you're not clipping your sound card outs because it's a PITA to play with knobs in software.

GaFFLe
02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
why is it a must?

Because if you're not cognizant of the level on the song you're bringing in, it'll come in too loud and simply sound bad in the mix. If the song you're bringing in is terribly loud, you could end up damaging a sound system which may already be on the edge of performance levels. WHy worry about this when there is a simple AUTO fix... autogain. It's not 100% perfect but it does give one less thing to worry about when mixing.

Not using autogain makes as much sense as not using autoBPM.

Manu
02-22-2012, 06:35 AM
walking stick for noobs who can't be arsed to adjust to what should be overall perceived volume.

LeFresh
02-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I use it, but also use my gains.

Nick Bike
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Because if you're not cognizant of the level on the song you're bringing in, it'll come in too loud and simply sound bad in the mix. If the song you're bringing in is terribly loud, you could end up damaging a sound system which may already be on the edge of performance levels. WHy worry about this when there is a simple AUTO fix... autogain. It's not 100% perfect but it does give one less thing to worry about when mixing.

what's wrong with knowing what your music sounds like and using your ears to adjust? straight up, if you know what you're doing you shouldn't have to worry about it. and if you don't, then go home and keep practicing.

Somedj
02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
yea, im going to be honest, Ive never used it. I just watch my levels and use my ears and adjust as necessary using the mixer gains.

fat8ack
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I use it but I also use my gains too.

Ocie
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I never used the auto-gain until reading this thread. Gave it a shot. Don't think it's something I really need :shrug:

Chay
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I never used the auto-gain until reading this thread. Gave it a shot. Don't think it's something I really need :shrug:

I thought the same as well, since I like to leave the gain levels on my mixer just under the red lights. As for volume, I always use my Master volume knob.

mostapha
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM

what's autobpm?

Also, uhh…I think this is a horrible reason to use it…mostly because it's often wrong.

bumpyjonas
02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I do not use the autogain feature in Serato I am my comfortable working the hardware gains on the mixer...

VjQue
02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
what's autobpm?

Also, uhh…I think this is a horrible reason to use it…mostly because it's often wrong.Are you joking about whats autoBPM. And unless most haven't dj'ed in a club with a sound engineer and was told to turn down the levels. then they don't truly understand the autogain feature.

Ocie
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I thought the same as well, since I like to leave the gain levels on my mixer just under the red lights. As for volume, I always use my Master volume knob.

when you're just mixing at home? i will too so my recordings are loud enough (not necessarily just under the red though).

out at a venue with a system, once i think the master volume is at an appropriate level then i'll use individual gains for each channel.

VjQue
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I never used the auto-gain until reading this thread. Gave it a shot. Don't think it's something I really need :shrug: it dont work like that. you have to reanalyze all your music with it turned on.

How does Autogain work?

Auto gain works by adjusting the gain of tracks in your library up or down to a standard volume level. This ensures all the files in your library are at the same volume level.

To turn auto gain on, go to the Playback tab on the Setup screen and tick the Use auto gain option. You can select your desired dB value from the dropdown box (92 dB is the default setting).

When auto gain is turned on, it is calculated during the analyzing files process. If your tracks have already been analyzed and you now want to include the auto gain function, turn auto gain on, highlight the files you want to apply auto gain to and drag them onto the analyze files button to re-analyze them. matter of fact im reanalyzing my video hd now for 2.4 serato and the 62 mixer. been doing the since last night got about 4000 files left...

JuxtaPoser
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
it dont work like that. you have to reanalyze all your music with it turned on.

I don't think that's true. I turned it on today and tried throwing on a few different tracks to see if it adjusted the software gains accordingly. It did. No re-analysing or anything like that.

VjQue
02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't think that's true. I turned it on today and tried throwing on a few different tracks to see if it adjusted the software gains accordingly. It did. No re-analysing or anything like that. When auto gain is turned on, it is calculated during the analyzing files process. If your tracks have already been analyzed and you now want to include the auto gain function, turn auto gain on, highlight the files you want to apply auto gain to and drag them onto the analyze files button to re-analyze them.

JuxtaPoser
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
When auto gain is turned on, it is calculated during the analyzing files process. If your tracks have already been analyzed and you now want to include the auto gain function, turn auto gain on, highlight the files you want to apply auto gain to and drag them onto the analyze files button to re-analyze them.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

mostapha
02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Are you joking about whats autoBPM. And unless most haven't dj'ed in a club with a sound engineer and was told to turn down the levels. then they don't truly understand the autogain feature.

Or you could actually learn how to run a mixer like I did. And like a lot of other people did.

drzinc
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I use different software but I do not like autogain I ride the upfaders.

Chay
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
when you're just mixing at home? i will too so my recordings are loud enough (not necessarily just under the red though).

out at a venue with a system, once i think the master volume is at an appropriate level then i'll use individual gains for each channel.

Yep, when I'm mixing at home. Although I would imagine different venues may have different setups :)

KLH
02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I like autogain, but I'm used to mixing without it. It's not perfect, but what "auto" feature is. In EDM, I tend not to use it. On 60s-70s, I do.

Where I don't like autogain is on tracks with long crescendo-y intros (ie Living On A Prayer). I ride the gain manually in those cases.

-KLH

VjQue
02-23-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Then your telling serato there wrong. that was copy & paste from there autogain page.

Or you could actually learn how to run a mixer like I did. And like a lot of other people did. I know how to use a mixer. I been doing this for 25 years. not some noob. I DJ clubs and have dj's come in with track's so out of line. not mastered , muddy bass, etc. I show them autogain in serato tell they to go home and reanalyze there files and they comeback after and its 10x better. When Im engineering at the club I have to always tell new dj's to leave there Eq Flat Volume 12 o'clock and control it from the mixing board. then they play a track and it goes from hitting hard with deep bass to a song with no bass and comes on real low. now there turning up there mixer and fucking up the sound. then they play a better song now the volume is sky high.

mostapha
02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
I must have misread your post. I thought you were saying that I didn't understand auto gain unless i've been told by an engineer to turn down the clipping mixer.

I think it's evidence that I do understand it that I've never had that happen.

Andrew B
02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Then your telling serato there wrong. that was copy & paste from there autogain page.

I know how to use a mixer. I been doing this for 25 years. not some noob. I DJ clubs and have dj's come in with track's so out of line. not mastered , muddy bass, etc. I show them autogain in serato tell they to go home and reanalyze there files and they comeback after and its 10x better. When Im engineering at the club I have to always tell new dj's to leave there Eq Flat Volume 12 o'clock and control it from the mixing board. then they play a track and it goes from hitting hard with deep bass to a song with no bass and comes on real low. now there turning up there mixer and fucking up the sound. then they play a better song now the volume is sky high.

You're talking about guys who shouldn't be spinning in a club. If they learned properly, then they wouldn't have those problems, and certainly wouldn't need auto-gain.

VjQue
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
You're talking about guys who shouldn't be spinning in a club. If they learned properly, then they wouldn't have those problems, and certainly wouldn't need auto-gain. Yeah But I have guys that been learned right and still have to tell to turn it down. mainly the one's with the monitors in there ear. some songs are recorded low and some are high.

mostapha
02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
What does that have to do with them ignoring meters?

GaFFLe
02-24-2012, 04:46 PM
...I DJ clubs and have dj's come in with track's so out of line. not mastered , muddy bass, etc. I show them autogain in serato tell they to go home and reanalyze there files and they comeback after and its 10x better. When Im engineering at the club I have to always tell new dj's to leave there Eq Flat Volume 12 o'clock and control it from the mixing board. then they play a track and it goes from hitting hard with deep bass to a song with no bass and comes on real low. now there turning up there mixer and fucking up the sound. then they play a better song now the volume is sky high.
Exactly... moral of the story = use Autogain.

It does not negatively affect your individual tracks. It's a very useful tool for us digital DJ's and lessens then need for manual volume adjustments a great deal. And yes, I come from a vinyl background as I started spinning in '89.

You're not 'keeping it real' by using your line faders and master volume knobs for a function that the software does better than you do. If you want to really keep it real... go back to spinning vinyl.

Not knocking the guys that don't use it... just knocking the ones that think it's useless or a microwave DJ-newb feature.

Somedj
02-24-2012, 07:58 PM
After reading this, it really doesnt seem like theres any harm in giving it a shot. Ive just never had much luck with using an auto gain/auto level feature on any software before. Its almost always made the track sound horrible. Now, that could have been the software was shit or maybe the threshold I used was shit. In either case, I'll give the recommended level a shot.

I will also say that, saying its a "must" is a bit much. I see the logic in using the feature, but if you watch your levels, there should be no reason why your incoming track should surprise you by suddenly being too loud. I tend to watch my levels like a hawk. LoL, nothing worse than bringing in a perfectly beat/phase matched track to have it half as loud or louder than the currently playing track... :)

Thx for the db recommendation :)

VjQue
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
What does that have to do with them ignoring meters? There not Really ignoring the meter's but after a few drinks and excitement and girls everywhere they tend to forget they need to do it. I had DJ"s Say that's why your here and get paid to to that. that's why most big club's with high end equipment hire a sound engineer.

After reading this, it really doesnt seem like theres any harm in giving it a shot. Ive just never had much luck with using an auto gain/auto level feature on any software before. Its almost always made the track sound horrible. Now, that could have been the software was shit or maybe the threshold I used was shit. In either case, I'll give the recommended level a shot.

I will also say that, saying its a "must" is a bit much. I see the logic in using the feature, but if you watch your levels, there should be no reason why your incoming track should surprise you by suddenly being too loud. I tend to watch my levels like a hawk. LoL, nothing worse than bringing in a perfectly beat/phase matched track to have it half as loud or louder than the currently playing track... :)

Thx for the db recommendation :)Have you made a cd in itunes and later listen to it and find that one track that's loud than the other or lower than the others. You can then go in the setting and check sound check and it will even out the entire cd. Its good to reanalyze your entire music folder with auto gain check. I'm finishing up my 2tb video drive that is 1.5tb full its been going for 2 1/2 days and already did my 1tb for mp3 cuz of serato new 2.4 software. its fixed the gain problem so that's.

The Rane 62 is a lot cleaner sounding than my 57 was so I decide to reanalyze all my must to the new stuff. mad a hell of a difference.

alazydj
02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm re-analyzing everything right now.

I find that when I'm using Serato without my TTM57 (check tracks, cues, loops, crates) that I'm turning down a lot of tracks and turning up a few others.

Using the gains isn't a problem...you should be watching the VU and gain up or down to the "Zero" (exactly before distorting in the reds).

Andrew B
02-25-2012, 05:29 AM
There not Really ignoring the meter's but after a few drinks and excitement and girls everywhere they tend to forget they need to do it. I had DJ"s Say that's why your here and get paid to to that. that's why most big club's with high end equipment hire a sound engineer.

That's ridiculous. These guys shouldn't be anywhere near a DJ booth. And of course big (and small) clubs have a sound guy. That's no excuse for not doing your job properly.

Nick Bike
02-25-2012, 06:32 AM
lol and lol and lol and lol

thehadgi
02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
lol and lol and lol and lol

I'm with the lulz

mostapha
02-25-2012, 01:02 PM
There not Really ignoring the meter's but after a few drinks and excitement and girls everywhere they tend to forget they need to do it. I had DJ"s Say that's why your here and get paid to to that. that's why most big club's with high end equipment hire a sound engineer.

No, big clubs have a sound engineer because it's a good idea…otherwise there'd be all that expensive equipment lying around with nobody knowing how to use it.

I know there are exceptions (obviously) but you're not making a very good case for DJs being capable of also doing live sound engineering.

icbicb
02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Ye, I use auto gain although it's not so precise all the time. Still pretty much useful. Mine is at 92 dB, default I think.