PDA

View Full Version : Do you use master tempo?

unity03
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I have Serato and have been debating whether to mix with master tempo on or not. When I record a mix I find that using master tempo distorts the actual kicks in the songs and it doesn't sound as good, compared to having it turned off. When you play, whether on Serato, Torq, Traktor, whatever, do you use master tempo?

Cryder
02-22-2012, 02:52 AM
If I'm playing samples only on Traktor in the same way you would launch clip in Ableton then yeah it's super handy. Also obviously if you want to push the MIDI clock signal to other gear but I've only played around with that once.

1point5
02-22-2012, 04:53 AM
I avoid it whenever possible (I use CDs)

It can be useful when mixing in a track with long chords in it to avoid weird wowwy sounds from the pitch being manipulated too obviously, but then I slowly move the pitch fader back to the centre and turn it off to avoid screwing with the drum sound.

mostapha
02-22-2012, 05:56 AM
If I'm playing samples only on Traktor in the same way you would launch clip in Ableton then yeah it's super handy. Also obviously if you want to push the MIDI clock signal to other gear but I've only played around with that once.

He's talking about time stretching, not traktors "master" tempo setting. "Master Tempo" is a badly-named Pioneer time-stretching algorithm.

I hoenstly don't know whether I use it or not. I always did in Live and Traktor and on CDJs…I don't remember whether I turned it on in SSL or not and can't recall off the top of my head if I heard pitches changing when I move the pitch faders……is that weird?