PDA

View Full Version : Progressive House ?

rain91
02-03-2013, 11:54 PM
I read that chart of the different genres on di's website a few days ago and it made me think about progressive house. I know the chart was partially made for shits and giggles and its old but it made me curious for what are the elements of 'progressive house' because in the guide its kinda vague and wiki doesnt say anything about it recently (i use it as a reference). And I just realized that there isnt exactly a section for progressive house as well on the forums. I associate progressive house to be pretty much tracks related to my mix in my soundcloud.

Dubstep has its wubwub bass. electro house has its abrasive synths and dirty bassline (according to wiki) & trance has its calm/relaxing melodic tones. If someone came up to you and asked you what is progressive house, what would be your response?

Sorry if im off/way off on some things here but im just curious :teef:

Hygro
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
I read that chart of the different genres on di's website a few days ago and it made me think about progressive house. I know the chart was partially made for shits and giggles and its old but it made me curious for what are the elements of 'progressive house' because in the guide its kinda vague and wiki doesnt say anything about it recently (i use it as a reference). And I just realized that there isnt exactly a section for progressive house as well on the forums. I associate progressive house to be pretty much tracks related to my mix in my soundcloud.

Dubstep has its wubwub bass. electro house has its abrasive synths and dirty bassline (according to wiki) & trance has its calm/relaxing melodic tones. If someone came up to you and asked you what is progressive house, what would be your response?

Sorry if im off/way off on some things here but im just curious :teef:
I would not categorize any of those genres quite that way. Trance is nothing calm and relaxing, unless you are the type of person who gets calm and relaxed taking amphetamine (like adderall). Which is kind of the point. Dubstep is more about its drum patterns than that its basslines filter in and out. Electro is the celebration of upfront lo-fi house sounds and synths, not necessarily abrasive and dirty, but very simple straightfoward beats with new production on oldschool synths and oldschool use of synth waveforms, combined with very straightforward drum patterns.

Prog house is actually about 4 or 5 different genres. There's the trance-y side, the techy side, the deep side, the commercial pop house side, the electro-y side only more melodic, and then there's the literally it's-house-but-the-track-progresses-slowly-and-steadily.

DJNR
02-04-2013, 12:54 AM
it's-house-but-the-track-progresses-slowly-and-steadily.

I agree with this. I find it hard often times to actually classify something as progressive house because it is posed in so many different forms and styles.

rain91
02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
thanks for the clarification hygro, sorry for some of my way of classifying the other genres, just my of-the-moment thought, and most of the trance i listen to relaxes me drug free =P.

but yea, pretty much the reason i made this thread is because i was skeptical on what it is. when i browse the internet i see people either say "no such thing as progressive house" or "thats not progressive house" and things of the like, pretty much always made me think what is it exactly

DJNR
02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Well it may actually be progressive house, but just with an electro house/dubstep/trance twist...

Andrew B
02-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Progressive House used to be pretty much interchangeable with Trance (in the early 90s). The term caught on again a decade later when Trance producers and DJs became embarrassed by the Trance label (Sasha, Digweed, et al). Then, it sort of became it's own genre. Basically slower Trance which, oddly enough, doesn't really have a progression during the track. Or, at least, less progressiveness than the typical Trance track at the time. This was the late 90s. It's sort of gone many different ways since than, initially incorporating electro elements, before Electro House existed as a genre (mid-2000s). Now, it's all a wash. So many different subgenres intermix that it's sometimes hard to differentiate. At this point Progressive House means different things to different people. But basically: it's Trance with House BPM.

ChrisHynds
02-04-2013, 01:42 AM
This is Progressive House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dFe-D4W8OU

This is Electro Shit-House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETmskoqh30

All of the modern SHM, Hardwell Tiesto style tracks should be labelled as Electro House IMO.

DJNR
02-04-2013, 02:11 AM
It's your opinion. Not all electro house is bad. It's really easy to disregard good names and name bad ones for the sake of making a point I guess.

ChrisHynds
02-04-2013, 02:14 AM
It's your opinion. Not all electro house is bad. It's really easy to disregard good names and name bad ones for the sake of making a point I guess.

Yea this is true, Disregard the "Shit House" part I was joking around on that, but I still feel that the tracks should be labelled Electro House,

DJNR
02-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Yea this is true, Disregard the "Shit House" part I was joking around on that, but I still feel that the tracks should be labelled Electro House,

That I can agree with. I often find myself labeling tracks as electro house only later to find that they are dubbed as progressive house.

Hygro
02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
thanks for the clarification hygro, sorry for some of my way of classifying the other genres, just my of-the-moment thought, and most of the trance i listen to relaxes me drug free =P.

but yea, pretty much the reason i made this thread is because i was skeptical on what it is. when i browse the internet i see people either say "no such thing as progressive house" or "thats not progressive house" and things of the like, pretty much always made me think what is it exactlyWord, and no your descriptions were actually better for the layman which I didn't acknowledge. They were just too subjective for me.

And yeah, trance relaxes me too ;D

Progressive House used to be pretty much interchangeable with Trance (in the early 90s). The term caught on again a decade later when Trance producers and DJs became embarrassed by the Trance label (Sasha, Digweed, et al). Then, it sort of became it's own genre. Basically slower Trance which, oddly enough, doesn't really have a progression during the track. Or, at least, less progressiveness than the typical Trance track at the time. This was the late 90s. It's sort of gone many different ways since than, initially incorporating electro elements, before Electro House existed as a genre (mid-2000s). Now, it's all a wash. So many different subgenres intermix that it's sometimes hard to differentiate. At this point Progressive House means different things to different people. But basically: it's Trance with House BPM.
Yep. I decided not to post that story so I'm really glad you did. Also, you explain these things better than I do :D And sometimes because you were actually, you know, there.

thehadgi
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Lol right on chris, when i look for prog house i end up having to go to the 'trance' section (if i'm on beatport). the entire prog house chart pretty much belongs on the electro house chart. i feel like if i want prog house i have to search for prog trance, and that'll get me close enough

mr_ragz
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Honestly, I feel like a lot of this genre naming stuff comes down to splitting hairs. Sure there are your main genres: house and breaks. As far as I'm concerned, every style of dance music falls into one of these two categories.

In the beginning, there was house and the evolution went something kinda like:
House--->Prog House ---> Trance ---> A million sub genres of Trance

Then

House --->A million sub genres of house --->Electro house

After that, the final two stages became merged. Some are more electro than progressive and visa versa. As we have seen a lot lately, they can make anything go together. Doesn't mean they should though. Take a look at Justin Bieber and dubstep for example.

disparate
02-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Progressive house has definitely changed its meaning over the years. When I got into it it was sometimes trancey house, or sometimes just house that was more spacy and atmospheric than, say, funky house, or not quite as jazzy as deep house. Think of what Nick Warren, Sasha, etc were playing in the early 2000s, that was my introduction. Now it seems interchangeable with electro-bigroom-EDM-pop-house or just slightly less mangled electro-house or whatever you wanna call it.

Paulie65m
02-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Early stuff from Nick Warren Sasha and similar artists were always my definition of progressive house ...

Good stuff

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

don_veeeee
02-19-2013, 02:28 AM
https://soundcloud.com/donveeeee/paradise

^^ my very short progressive house track. well, its my style of progressive house :)

bnr
02-20-2013, 08:53 AM
I also think of progressive house as being trance at a house bpm. Not the shit that beatport classifies it as. Audiojelly.com has a much better grasp on the genre so if you want to hear what the Trancey prog house sounds like then you should go there and listen to the songs there.

As with all house, there's a million sub genres, but broadly speaking I think of prog house as bein trance at a slower bpm and with a more chilled out vibe generally.

Rek_Aviles
02-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Searching for true progressive house tunes on Beatport is a mission. And to keep my music organized, I ended up changing the genre name to Epic House, for that reason.

What I would label as Epic House :
https://soundcloud.com/official_housematters/wakanda-original-dimitri-vegas
Definitely has elements of Electro house, but the sound is too big and needed to be grouped separately.

Progressive House:
https://soundcloud.com/shingo-nakamura-4/08-shingo-nakamura-thousands

What I consider Electro House:
https://soundcloud.com/mau5trap/feedme-deathbyrobot

alexreedDJ
02-20-2013, 10:11 AM
I find that the genre of "progressive house" has become so open nowadays. Whereas it used to sound fairly thin in texture and progress throughout the sound (hence the name) but now so many artists that i definitely not consider as progressive house artists are labeling some of their songs "progressive house".
But the words mean so many different things to different people.

For example i would consider things like this as progressive house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3F9Tn1pA8

but i've seen people like Hardwell and even Nicky Romero being branded as "progressive house" and i see both of those as electro house artists, not progressive at all

xs2man
02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
See, Rek and alexreed. Neither of that I would consider progressive house. Too cheesy and trancey. To the point, they would go straight into my cheesy trance folder, if they weren't just deleted because I would never play them.

Now, to me progressive house sounds like this:

https://soundcloud.com/pro-b-tech/underground-allstars-she-rises

or this :

https://soundcloud.com/pro-b-tech/tilt-here-is-not-now-original

And in fact, I would be wanting an instrumental of the Tilt track too, lol.

I am so disappointed that the progressive house tag I have used for the last 15 years or so has been ruined with such cheese being associated with it. I mean, that all sounds like trance to me.

Rek_Aviles
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
^^ yup, I would consider both of those prog as well. I might even put that first track in my techhouse folder, only because of my style of mixing. Now, if you like the track or not, that's a different story.

I think when we're dealing with different genre, some of them crossing over into one another, you have to make a choice and decide which folder or group to place it in. I would definitely put your samples and mine together in a prog folder, if I had them both in my library.

alexreedDJ
02-21-2013, 03:16 AM
This thread is actually really interesting to see what different people would class as a certain genre and see how people's own idea of progressive house differs hugely.

I do admit that the example I posted was potentially a bit modern and maybe more house than progressive house but i do think that the genre has changed over time and become more similar to "house".

Paulie65m
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Searching for true progressive house tunes on Beatport is a mission. And to keep my music organized, I ended up changing the genre name to Epic House, for that reason.

What I would label as Epic House :
https://soundcloud.com/official_housematters/wakanda-original-dimitri-vegas
Definitely has elements of Electro house, but the sound is too big and needed to be grouped separately.

I don't know why you guys Still listen to prog house we now officially have "Epic House" :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DJ Elroy
02-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Nice one!

I really don't like what's being called "progressive house" on Beatport nowadays. When I think progressive house I think of the old Global Underground mixes, not Deadmau5.

What I'd call true original progressive house has morphed into a deep/melodic/tech/house/progressive sound. The "new progressive" has more of an electro feel, like something you'd hear at Ultra.

Rek_Aviles
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't know why you guys Still listen to prog house we now officially have "Epic House" :p

Didn't make that up myself, but am using it to help me organize my tunes. :)

Finnish_Fox
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
What I'd call true original progressive house has morphed into a deep/melodic/tech/house/progressive sound. The "new progressive" has more of an electro feel, like something you'd hear at Ultra.

Its happening with all genres... heard a guy playing "deep" house that, to me, sounded like garage house.

Era 7
03-04-2013, 06:18 AM
just to make you all weep a bit: this topped beatport progressive house chart and beatport top 10 today :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbN2pQXe1o

Mahatma Coat
03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I always understood progressive house as four four electronic music that was built of phrases which incorporated different elements over the course of a single track, this led to tracks developing gradually over the course of their run time, i.e. the track progressed.

I always thought of progressive house as utilising elements of trance, but with far less breakdowns and hands in the air moments; progressive is usually faster than what I would consider regular house though, clocking in around 135bpm plus.

I also always considered progressive house to be far darker and much deeper than trance, often using tribal drum patterns and fucked up samples; progressive house also had quite a 'shiny' sound to the production, embracing artificial sounds rather than attempting to appear analogue like a lot of house music does.

When I think of progressive house DJs I think of John Digweed, Sasha and Hernan Cattaneo.

I haven't listened to any progressive house since around the early 2000s though when it got destroyed by minimal techno, so maybe modern progressive is totally different to the old Bedrock & Global Underground CDs.

As for dubstep, its all in the name: dub basslines & two-step rhythms. If it doesn't have these its not dubstep.

Finnish_Fox
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I always understood progressive house as four four electronic music that was built of phrases which incorporated different elements over the course of a single track, this led to tracks developing gradually over the course of their run time, i.e. the track progressed.

I always thought of progressive house as utilising elements of trance, but with far less breakdowns and hands in the air moments; progressive is usually faster than what I would consider regular house though, clocking in around 135bpm plus.

I also always considered progressive house to be far darker and much deeper than trance, often using tribal drum patterns and fucked up samples; progressive house also had quite a 'shiny' sound to the production, embracing artificial sounds rather than attempting to appear analogue like a lot of house music does.

When I think of progressive house DJs I think of John Digweed, Sasha and Hernan Cattaneo.

I haven't listened to any progressive house since around the early 2000s though when it got destroyed by minimal techno, so maybe modern progressive is totally different to the old Bedrock & Global Underground CDs.

As for dubstep, its all in the name: dub basslines & two-step rhythms. If it doesn't have these its not dubstep.

Pretty much exactly as the way I've defined it...

Finnish_Fox
03-04-2013, 05:12 PM
just to make you all weep a bit: this topped beatport progressive house chart and beatport top 10 today :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbN2pQXe1o

What is that... electro-trance?

Legitprogressive
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
All the info you guys need to know about progressive!!!

http://legitprogressivemusic.blogspot.com

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-q92aNH0wQ28/UTEpRLRSGbI/AAAAAAAAAS4/jUXWaEWZDXQ/s1600/handsupheader.jpg

rain91
03-05-2013, 03:18 AM
^
http://www.micaprintmaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ackbar.jpeg