PDA

View Full Version : Hardstyle Mixing

deejayjsin
02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
So, I have a gig this saturday but they've asked me to play nothing but hardstyle :confused:. I'm not really to experienced mixing hardstyle, so does anyone have any tips or advice? I'll be spinning for 4 hours and I don't want to make myself look too horrible, so any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

Era 7
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
1. why did you take a gig with music you have no experience with? :confused:

2. as for techniques playing hardstyle: you can either do A) the traditional blending like you can with most electronic music (mind yourself though that hardstyle elements are harsher than most of the genres so EQing is essential) or B) use the crossfader to mix into the incoming track and the break that most hardstyle tunes hit after the first 16 bars. this works best when the outgoing track hits the outro because it almost identical with the intro. practically its an anti-climax.

deejayjsin
02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I took it because I was led to believe that it was going to be electro/progressive house, when I was told the person hosting the event wanted nothing but hard style it was too late to back out. Thanks for the advice! I've been practicing that and setting cue points through out my tracks to help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chay
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
1. why did you take a gig with music you have no experience with? :confused:

2. as for techniques playing hardstyle: you can either do A) the traditional blending like you can with most electronic music (mind yourself though that hardstyle elements are harsher than most of the genres so EQing is essential) or B) use the crossfader to mix into the incoming track and the break that most hardstyle tunes hit after the first 16 bars. this works best when the outgoing track hits the outro because it almost identical with the intro. practically its an anti-climax.

This. You're going to be using the EQ a lot simply because the beats are very harsh.

djlukewathey
04-07-2012, 05:46 AM
i play hardcore and electro house (not in clubs though) and iv recently started introducing hardstyle and hard dance into my hardcore mixs to toughen some of my mixes up and i didnt find the transition between hardcore and house to difficult to be fair.

i mix hardcore mainly but like to play with electro house for a chuckle as i think its a fun genre, and i play techno when i go my brothers occasionally lol.

just use your eqs to filter bits of the incoming track to dampen the sound as its pretty dam tough lol

hope this helps

mantis
04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
naah, hardstyle is easy to mix. I used to mix a lot of hardstyle and gabber (sp?) and stuff, and it was good. You can play around with the crossfader doing cuts and breaks etc. Hardstyle was amde for mixing - you can really mix it up. Good luck.

howtokilldj
04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Make sure you stay on top of your phrasing. Hardstyle has a tendency to break down often into silence or pads, then build up again to climax. The ugliest thing when listening to poorly mixed hardstyle is hearing one of the tracks break down abruptly while the other is still pounding away, only for it to be hurriedly cut by the DJ.

Ztr1der
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
In my opinion hardstyle is one of the easiest genres to mix and you can get extremely creative with it...one thing to do is make sure you count the beats to know when the song changes :-)

mantis
04-25-2012, 11:16 PM
... count the beats to know when the song changes :-)

this is what you do with every single style of djing....

drop1
04-29-2012, 09:58 PM
It is easy to mix. My question is where are you going to find 4 hours of usable music that fast?

swine
04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Im sorry that you have to play/listen to hardstyle for 4 hours!!!

Synergy
04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
im sorry that you have to play/listen to hardstyle for 4 hours!!!

this!!!!